Detention

Heart of Ice

Jen was on her way to the detention room when she spotted Hakyeon heading in her direction. She rolled her eyes when they made eye contact and placed her hand on the doorknob, getting ready to open the door to the room when she heard-

 

“Yah, Jenny!” N called out and waved frantically at her.

 

Jen huffed and looked at him. “Mwo?!”

 

He scurried down the hallway and stood in front of her, his smile growing even wider which Jen didn’t think was possible. “I missed you.”

 

“Sure,” Jen sighed and rolled her eyes. This kid was getting beyond annoying…

 

“But I’m serious Jenny-ah,” N cooed cutely, doing his best aegyo by poking his puffed out cheek.

 

Jen had to admit… it was kind of working. “If you say so,” she said light-heartedly and entered the classroom with N.

 

It looked like a regular classroom but you could tell that it wasn’t used much if even at all. Some cobwebs hung from the desks to the walls – not to mention that the desks were also very old-fashioned and covered in graffiti.

 

“Ugh, it’s disgusting in here,” Jen frowned while looking closely at the cleanest desk she could find, blowing off balls of dust and dirt before she sat down.

 

“It could be worse,” N shrugged and sat in the desk beside hers.

 

“Worse? How could it be worse than this?” Jen asked but already expected a stupid answer from him – it was Hakyeon after all.

 

“You could be in here all alone without me,” N said with a cheesy grin, pointing to himself.

 

Just like Jen expected… he said something stupid.

 

“Will you get over yourself?!” Jen shouted and blew her bangs away from her forehead.

 

“What?!” N’s face looked clearly surprised, “I’m just saying…”

 

“Well don’t say anything,” Jen said sharply and faced the front of the class, “It’s because of you ‘saying’ stuff that we’re in here in the first place.”

 

Then an overweight elderly man abruptly entered the classroom and cleared his throat loudly before speaking. “I’m Mr. Washington and I’ll be your detention supervisor today.”

 

“Hello Mr. Washington!” N said enthusiastically.

 

Both Jen and the elderly man eyed N disconcertedly – how was this kid so excited and happy when they were in detention?

 

“As I was saying… Detention today will last for two hours straight. There will be no talking at all whatsoever. Does everyone understand?” Mr. Washington asked as he took a seat with a heavy sigh at the teacher’s desk in the front of the classroom.

 

 “Yes, we understand,” Jen mumbled.

 

N looked over at Jen with pleading eyes already – he could barely even sit still in his seat. He kept fidgeting his legs… crossing them, uncrossing them… shaking them around… nothing was working for him.

 

“What’s wrong?” Jen mouthed to him.

 

“I can’t sit still, Jenny,” he mouthed back to her, continuing to look at her with cute sad puppy eyes.

 

“It’s only for two hours,” she replied only mouthing the words, holding up two fingers, “You’ll survive.”

 

N quickly shook his head. “Ani! I can’t… I need to talk,” he pouted, mouthing back to her.

 

Jen sighed, shaking her head. “I can’t help you with that,” she mouthed back to him, “This is your fault so deal with the consequences.”

 

N pouted but then something in his eyes flickered and his pout immediately turned into a smile. He made a heart with his hands and offered it to Jen.

 

Jen pretended to grab the heart out of mid-air and threw it on the ground, stomping on it with her foot causing N’s sad pout to come back.

 

“Stop talking!” Mr. Washington bellowed. He had been falling asleep at the front of the class for some time now but woke up to see N and Jen playing around.

 

“Technically we weren’t talking,” N corrected, “We were communicating non-verbally.”

 

“Well… don’t do that either,” Mr. Washington grumbled.

 

“But that wasn’t in the initial rules when you first entered,” N continued with his argument, “You can’t scold us for something you didn’t cover in the agreement.”

 

“I’m covering it now,” Mr. Washington said sharply, “Keep arguing and I’ll keep you here longer.”

 

“You can’t keep us any longer than 5 o’clock,” N countered, “Any more than that and you’ll be violating our rights as students.”

 

Mr. Washington’s face started to turn red. “Hakyeon, would you like another day of detention?”

 

“No sir,” N said with a slight smirk.

 

Jen giggled a little while looking at N – no one was ever able to fluster Mr. Washington like he did now.

 

“Then keep quiet from now on,” Mr. Washington asserted and went back to grading papers, looking as if he were dozing off already.

 

“When he’s asleep, let’s sneak out,” N mouthed to Jen with a mischievous grin.

 

“What?!” Jen mouthed back and shook her head ‘no’.

 

“Why not? He’ll never notice,” N mouthed to her while pointing his thumb at Mr. Washington, “It’ll be fun, I promise.”

 

---

 

Just as N suspected, Mr. Washington fell asleep within a matter of thirty minutes.

 

Hakyeon stood up out of his seat and grabbed Jen’s hand, tugging it gently. “Come on,” he whispered.

 

“No N, you’ll get us in trouble,” Jen whispered back and tried to yank her hand out of N’s grasp.

 

“You really don’t know how to live, do you?” N questioned in a hushed tone of voice looking at her with a raised eyebrow.

 

“I… I do,” Jen faltered, not making eye contact with him.

 

N smirked and tugged her up out of her seat. “Well then you’ll have no problem sneaking out with me,” he whispered in her ear and pulled back, looking her in the eye.

 

Jen found herself becoming flustered by him being so close so she pushed him away. “Fine but if I get in trouble…” she began.

 

“You won’t, trust me,” N closed his statement with a wink and led her across the classroom, opening the classroom door slowly and looked left and right before walking out into the hallway with her.

 

“Freedom!” N sighed happily, still holding Jen’s hand.

 

“You… can let go now,” Jen said and snatched her hand away, “What did you want to do anyway?”

 

“Go to the coffee shop with my best friend,” N answered and started walking away.

 

“Oh, so why did you get me out then if you just wanted to go to the coffee shop with your best friend?!” Jen angrily yelled after him. ‘This pabo…’ she thought and crossed her arms.

 

“Because if I didn’t, I couldn’t go to the coffee shop with my best friend… duh,” N said over his shoulder, “Besides, she’s pretty mad at me for getting her in trouble and everything.”

 

‘Is he… talking about me?’ she thought blankly still standing in the middle of the hallway.

 

“And if she doesn’t hurry up she’ll have to pay for her own stuff,” N chuckled and quickened his pace.

 

“Yah!” Jen laughed and ran to catch up with him, “You owe me big time. And what’s up with the whole ‘best friend’ thing?”

 

N shrugged and opened the door for her leading into the school’s personal coffee shop. “Well… aren’t you?”

 

“You have some nerve claiming me as your best friend after getting me in trouble,” Jen said and walked up to the counter with him.

 

“You should be honored that I want to be your best friend,” N smirked conceitedly while tapping his chin, looking up at the various options on the menu that they offered at the coffee shop.

 

“Let me get this straight… you want to be my best friend but yet I’m the one that should be honored?” Jen echoed back to him in disbelief, “If I accepted you as my best friend then you should be honored.”

 

“Let’s just agree to disagree, ne?” N said and patted her head with a dorky grin on his face before turning to the cashier, “I’d like a small black coffee and a donut.”

 

Jen rolled her eyes at N then also turned to the cashier. “And I’d like a brownie with a small mocha Frappuccino.”

 

The cashier typed in everything into their system and looked up at N. “That’ll be 20 dollars.”

 

“20 dollars… that’s a bit…” Jen faltered and reached for her wallet, getting ready to pay for her own meal.

 

N chuckled and pushed her hand away. “I told you it was my treat,” he said and handed 20 dollars to the cashier.

 

The cashier bowed and took the money and placed it in the cash register before walking away.

 

“Thanks…” Jen said quietly.

 

“I’m sorry, I don’t think I heard you,” N coaxed with a smug smile.

 

Jen narrowed her eyes. “Thank you,” she said through clenched teeth.

 

N slung his arm across her shoulders and pulled her close for a one-armed hug. “No need to thank me Jenny-ah… It’s what us gentleman do.”

 

“You’re a gentleman?!” Jen laughed sarcastically.

 

Then they suddenly began to hear a commotion coming from the back of the coffee shop.

 

“Chen, take them out or they’ll burn!” one male said.

 

“They won’t burn… I know what I’m doing!” Chen retorted stubbornly.

 

“I’m the barista here!” the other male yelled, “I can smell them burning!”

 

“Just because you became a barista before me doesn’t mean you’re better than me, Xiumin,” Chen complained, removing the roasted coffee beans.

 

“Well, if you had known more then you’d be a barista now too,” Xiumin muttered, “Now look at the coffee beans… they’re ruined!”

 

“They aren’t ruined,” Chen defended and picked up one beans, showing it to Xiumin, “See? They’re fine.”

 

“You can see that they’re burnt!” Xiumin exclaimed then he took a deep breath to calm himself while rubbing his temples, “I think I should do this myself.”

 

“Fine ‘Mr. Barista’,” Chen mumble sarcastically, “It’s your fault they burned anyway… you set the temperature too high.”

 

“The temperature was right,” Xiumin snapped and began making a new batch of coffee, “You kept the beans in too long. Just… go get the brownie and donut please… you’re distracting me.”

 

Chen huffed and said a few… not so nice things under his breath before going to the oven to take out a fresh donut and brownie. He put them on small paper plates and then delivered them to Jen and N. “Your coffee shall be here shortly.”

 

“Thank you,” Jen smiled and bowed shortly. She picked up her plate and handed N his plate.

 

Chen walked back to the kitchen where Xiumin was and leaned against the wall, watching him intensely. “Taking awfully long to make the coffee…”

 

“Oh, as if you could do any better,” Xiumin hissed and finished with the coffee, “They could’ve had coffee already if you didn’t screw up the first time.”

 

“Here you go bringing that up again,” Chen complained and folded his arms across his chest.

 

“Then don’t complain about me taking long,” Xiumin said and handed him the coffee, “Now take these to the customers.”

 

Fine,” Chen said through clenched teeth and took the cups of coffee from Xiumin, taking them out to Jen and N, “And… here’s your coffee. Please enjoy!”

 

“Thanks, we will,” Jen and N said simultaneously and looked at each other wide-eyed before grabbing their coffee.

 

N took a sip of his coffee, looking at Jen above the rim of the coffee cup. Jen looked up at him and narrowed her eyes at bit. “What?” she asked crossly.

 

“Nothing,” N answered with a sly grin.

 

‘He’s up to something…’ Jen thought unconvinced. “I don’t believe you,” she said stubbornly then took a bite of her brownie.

 

“Fine then, I don’t need you to,” N said with a shrug, putting his coffee back down on the counter. He picked up his donut and scooped some icing on his finger and smeared it on Jen’s nose, “Surprise!”

 

“Yah!” Jen yelled, as she stood there wide-eyed, not believing he just smeared icing on her nose.

 

“I think it’s a good look for you,” N teased.

 

“Yeah? Well I think it’d look even better on you!” Jen laughed as she scooped the icing off her nose with her finger and went to smear it on N’s nose instead.

 

N quickly dodged out of the way and chuckled. “You’ll have to move faster than that.”

 

Jen charged at him and N grabbed both her hands to hold her off. “No fair, you’re stronger than me!” Jen complained as she struggled to even get close to his nose.

 

Seeing Jen struggle made N laugh even more. “I’m sorry Jenny love put you won’t be putting any icing on this nose today.”

 

Then they suddenly heard someone clear their throat loudly from behind them-

 

“Tarzan, what do you think you’re doing?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Update Update~ :3 Thanks for being patient... again.

The weather here is horrible with all the snow D: 

But... I should be getting internet this week so yay! No more waiting aand whatnot :3

Enjoy, comment, upvote <3333