Jealousy

Heart of Ice

N immediately let go of Jen’s hands from the shock and she stumbled forward, smearing icing all over N’s cheek. Jen looked up at N wide-eyed and then slowly turned around to face Kai who was scowling.

 

“Stop calling me Tarzan,” she mumbled.

 

“What do you think you’re doing?” Kai asked again but with a sharper edge to his voice.

 

“Does it matter what she’s doing?” N retorted with his own question.

 

“This doesn’t concern you,” Kai spat and turned to Jen once again, “Now answer my question.”

 

“Do you always talk so rudely?” N asked, raising an eyebrow.

 

Kai’s face began to turn a slight rosy red color from the anger flushing his cheeks. “Hakyeon, I’d like to strongly advise you to shut the hell up.”

 

“And if I don’t?” N questioned and stepped forward in an antagonizing manner.

 

“Stop fighting guys!” Jen exclaimed and stood between them defiantly, “I don’t even see what the problem is.”

 

The problem?” Kai began, “The problem is that I was gone for a while yet you didn’t even bother to welcome me back or anything.”

 

“You act like we’re dating or something…” Jen muttered with a slight pout.

 

“Y-Yah! I’m not… And then I went by your dorm but you weren’t there either,” Kai sputtered, looking innocent until his eyes hardened again.

 

“Awh~ did you miss me?” Jen teased and poked Kai’s arm.

 

“Forget it,” Kai tch-ed, his eyes turning stone cold and turned around, “I don’t have time for this.” He started to make his way to the door but Jen grabbed his hand stopping him from leaving.

 

“No…! I was just kidding. I mean… I have detention so I wasn’t there,” Jen slightly exclaimed, “What did you want?”

 

Kai snorted and snatched his hand out of her grasp. “I said forget it since you’re not willing to take me seriously,” he snapped and walked out of the coffee shop, slamming the door behind himself.

 

‘What’s his problem?’ Jen thought in shock as she watched him storm out of the coffee shop.

 

N sauntered up behind Jen and placed his hands on her shoulders. “You sure he isn’t your boyfriend? He seems awfully jealous of you being here with me and everything…”

 

“What are you saying?! Of course he isn’t!” Jen exclaimed in embarrassment, her face becoming slightly flushed.

 

“Whoa whoa… no need to get all defensive,” N hummed in a taunting manner, “I was just asking a simple question is all.”

 

Jen growled then punched N’s arm in the exact same spot as she did earlier and N let out a loud yelp.

 

“Will you stop that?!” N shrieked and rubbed his arm with a pained look on his face, “I’m going to be bruised there for life.”

 

“Then stop messing with me!” Jen yelled at him, jabbing him in the chest with her finger.

 

“It’s all out of love though…” N pouted and put on the cutest sad face he could muster.

 

Jen rolled her eyes and tried to remain mad but N’s aegyo was making it hard for her to hold back her smile. “Sure it is…”

 

N started to grin and poked her cheek a few times. “I see you holding back that smile.”

 

“Yah!” Jen exclaimed and let out a small laugh, swatting his hand away from her face.

 

“You laughed!” N announced proudly.

 

“N-No I didn’t,” Jen muttered stubbornly, now barely able to hold back her smile.

 

“I guess we have to do this the hard way…” N sighed then suddenly picked her up and slung her over his shoulder, “Now admit that you laughed!”

 

“Oh my god, N put me down!” Jen yelled while flailing around.

 

“Admit ittttt~” N said in a singsong tone of voice.

 

Jen giggled a bit as she tried to free herself. “Fine, fine! I laughed, okay?! Now put me down!”

 

N put her back down and fixed her hair until she swatted his hand away and fixed it herself. “Now was that so hard to admit?” he asked.

 

“Pabo,” Jen huffed but was smiling as she said it.

 

“I love you, Jenny-ah” N said with a cheesy grin.

 

“Whatever,” Jen sighed but then found herself giggling at N’s quirkiness. ‘Ahh… jinjja. How can this kid be so annoying and funny all at once?’ she thought to herself then looked at the clock, “Oh! We should get heading back now… detention will be over in ten minutes.”

 

“Yes, ma’am but… not until I finish my food,” N said then went back and guzzled down the last of his coffee then stuffed his face with his donut.

 

‘Aigoo… so dorky AND greedy,’ Jen thought but ended up joining him; it would be pretty insulting that he spent all that money and she didn’t even finish it.

 

N smiled when Jen sat beside him and held up his coffee cup to make a toast. “To best friends!” he cheered but it sounded more like a question.

 

Jen smiled then picked up her coffee cup and tapped it against his. “To best friends.”

 

 

---

 

Kai’s P.O.V:

 

‘Aish… how could I forget she had detention?’ Kai thought as he walked down the hallway, ‘I was there when she got sent out in the first place… Now I look like an idiot.’

 

But then…

 

“Then why was she in the coffee shop with that Hakyeon guy if she’s supposed to be in detention?!” he said aloud to himself and stopped dead in his tracks, “That… pabo! Why is she even hanging around with him?! He’s the one who got her in trouble anyway unless… no, it can’t be. No… no, no, no…”

 

He ran his hand through his hair and his lips anxiously. ‘I have to find out one way or another,’ he thought as he sharply turned around and made his way back to the coffee shop. He needed answers to the question burning in his mind and he wouldn’t leave without them.

 

---

 

Jen and N:

 

Jen cleaned the icing off her nose with a napkin while N did the same but wiped the icing off his cheek instead.

 

N snickered when he looked over at her. “I think you looked better with the icing.”

 

“Oh shut up!” Jen laughed and pushed him gently, “I don’t need donut icing to make me look good.”

 

“Someone’s conceited…” N mumbled but couldn’t hide the smirk growing on his face.

 

“I learned from the best,” Jen replied wittily, referring to him.

 

“Well you know…” N began with a smug tone of voice, about to make a speech about how great he was.

 

“Can it, Hakyeon,” Jen interrupted him before his rant, “If you start ranting now we’ll never get out of here.” She laughed then opened the coffee shop door and ended up running straight into Kai.

 

She made an ‘umph’ sound as she bounced back off his hard chest and then looked up at him almost as if in disbelief that she actually ran into him.

 

“Kai…” Jen uttered under her breath and took a step backward.

 

‘This guy again…’ N thought and rolled his eyes, ‘When will he learn to go away?’

 

“We need to talk,” Kai said simply, not looking as mad anymore just kind of… hurt perhaps?

 

“About what?” Jen asked.

 

“Just… can we talk or not?” Kai asked impatiently.

 

“Uhh… sure. O-Okay, just… meet me outside my dorm hall in ten minutes,” Jen said.

 

Kai just nodded then stepped out of the doorway so they could get past him.

 

“Let’s go before we’re late,” Jen said to Hakyeon and walked past Kai.

 

“Right,” N agreed and followed after her.

 

Kai eyed N with contempt as he walked past and N gladly returned the dirty glare. N then slung his arm across Jen’s shoulders in an attempt to make Kai jealous as they walked back to the detention room and… it worked.

 

‘Trust me, Cha Hakyeon, you don’t want to get on my bad side because once you’re there, there is no turning back and then you’ll be kissing the ground I walk on just like everyone else,’ Kai thought bitterly before he clicked his tongue and clenched and unclenched his fists a few times before turning around sharply and heading out of the school building.

 

---

 

Jen and Hakyeon made it back to the classroom just one minute before detention was up – just in time. A timer went off and awakened the still sleeping Mr. Washington and he yawned forcefully, covering his mouth with his wrinkled hand. He then stood up with a loud grunt and gathered the papers he was grading off the desk and instead of grading all of them, he only graded a few and the rest were covered in drool.

 

Mr. Washington mumbled a few things under his breath as he tried to clean his drool from the paper. “Gosh darn it… When did I even fall asleep?”

 

“Can we go now?” N whined, pretending to be tired as if he actually spent the entire time in detention.

 

“Yeah… yeah, whatever. Just go,” Mr. Washington grumbled in annoyance and shooed N and Jen away with his hand.

 

“Yesss!” N cheered and stood up, “ Come on, Jenny love.” He bowed and offered her his hand in a gentleman-like manner.

 

Jen shook her head and laughed but ended up placing her hand in his. “You really are something else Hakyeon.”

 

He helped her to stand up and led her to the door then opened it. “After you.”

 

“Why thank you,” Jen giggled and walked out of the classroom with N following close behind. She turned around and looked up at the nonsensical red head. “So… what’s up with the whole ‘nice guy’ act?”

 

“Nothing,” N shrugged, “Just being nice before you have to go deal with… him.”

 

“He’s not so bad once you get to know him,” Jen said with a small smile, “Anyways, I’d better get going. I’ll see you later, okay?”

 

“I’ll believe it when I see it. Anywhoooo… See you later, Jenny,” N winked and started walking off in the other direction.

 

---

 

Jen trudged along to the outside of her dorm hall and stood there waiting for Kai to show up; she blew into her hands and rubbed them together as she was starting to feel kind of cold since the sun was beginning to set. ‘I guess he’s running a little late…’ she thought and was about to sit down on the steps when she saw a newspaper on the third step, ‘what’s this? A newspaper?’

 

She opened up the newspaper and immediately read the headlining story:

 

New Celebrity Couple announced at company merger in Korea!

 

“Kim Jongin, future CEO of Seoul Enterprises and Jessica Jung, sister of W&M’s Inc. CEO have now been confirmed as a couple. After Jongin’s speech announcing the official merger of the two companies, Jessica walked upon the stage and held Kai’s hand before giving him an affectionate kiss on the cheek as she left to go congratulate her brother. The two…”

 

“What do you have there?” -- Jen heard a familiar voice ask.

 

Jen quickly folded the paper back but continued to hold it in her right hand. “Nothing, just a newspaper…” she said trying her best not to show any signs of being hurt, “Why did you need to talk to me?” ‘God, why do I feel like this? I… I don’t even care about him at all whatsoever…’ she thought in denial and twirled her hair absent-mindedly.

 

“Why were you hanging around that Hakyeon guy?” Kai asked.

 

“Why do you care?” Jen asked bitterly.

 

“I don’t care,” Kai snapped.

 

“Then why do you keep asking?” Jen retorted and folded her arms stubbornly across her chest.

 

“Just… I just want to know. Is that so wrong of me?” Kai questioned calmly.

 

“You told Hakyeon to stay out of stuff that doesn’t concern him so why don’t you do the same?” Jen responded with her own question and flung her hair out of her face.

 

“So you’re going to stick up for him now?” Kai questioned with a slight edge to his voice making it obvious he was holding back his emotions.

 

“Look, I suggest you worry about your own relationship…” Jen mumbled.

 

“My own relationship?” Kai repeated, “Wait… so does that mean you and Hakyeon are… dating?”

 

“No, but you are dating someone so worry about that instead,” Jen countered.

 

“Jen I-,” Kai began.

 

“Don’t feel the need to explain anything to me… I’m not your girlfriend,” Jen interrupted sharply and threw the newspaper down so that the headlining story was facing upward for him to see, “I hope you’re happy with Jessica.”

 

“Will you-,” Kai began again, taking a step forward to reach out to her.

 

She took a step back away from him. “Goodnight Kai,” Jen said abruptly, cutting him off again, and walked into her dorm hall.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Sorry for such a lame chapter ;-; I kind of rushed it 'cause I needed to sleep since it was midnight~

BUT I promised an update so here you go (:

I'll do better next time ^^;;

Thanks for reading!!