The Marriage

Running Out of Reasons

2 days later.

Here I am, standing in front of the registration office, waiting for Stubborn Lee to arrive and eventually signs in this marriage thing with him. For the past two days, I told myself never to think about this thing before it happens. I don’t want to get into the point of being a “runaway bride”. I need to do this for Dannie, and for my best friend. I may not like this, heck, I actually hate this very much, but this is the easiest way to get her. So… fine.

But he seems to be taking so long already. The call time is at 10am, but it’s almost 10:15 and I haven’t seen his shadows anywhere. Is he not going to meet me? Is this just for a joke? Wait. No, or else I’m going to strangle his neck and twist it ‘till he dies.

I’m not kidding. I’ll literally-

“! Watch out!” I randomly shout in anger and panic when a ty shining grey sports car gets in my way and almost hits my back. “HEY! Do you want me to die?!!” I yell again when it stops just right in front of me. Wow, people, really. They are so into flaunting their billion won cars that they don’t care about other’s safety anymore. Seriously.

“Hi! Miss me?” Down the window car, the ty doctor Lee randomly puts out his hand and waves at me. He chuckles upon seeing the frantic expression on my face. Because really, I thought I was going to die!

How dare this guy, still acting like a cutie after almost hitting someone.

Haha. No. He isn’t cute.

“The appointment is at 10:30, can you please come out now? We are going to be late.” I say as composed as possible, trying to hold in a loud bicker that I am just about to throw at him.

I thought he’s going to argue back but he doesn’t say a thing. He just closes his window again, hops off, and locks his car. I wait for him to finish, but he hands me his phone to show me something. “I sent a message to ahjumma about our marriage today. She congratulated the both of us, but also said something I know you won’t like.”

“What?” I frown at him before taking his phone to read the message.

It says:

“I wish I could be there on your marriage but I have to do a lot of things here in the office. I hope you can hold a bigger celebration later on and I promise to attend. Congratulations to both of you! May you have wonderful life ahead with each other. However, here’s the catch for Dannie’s adoption. The council approves on giving you Dannie right after your marriage but they are going to have you under surveillance for the mean time. Actually, I was not supposed to say this to you but I decided to do so since I told you I’ll be assuring your custody over her. There’s not going to be any problem, right? Since the both of you really look like a lovely and beautiful couple. I’m sure, in few months, the council will let you have Dannie for real and officially.”

“Wait.” I stop in both amusement and confusion as I look up to meet his eyes. “You mean… you and I…”

“Should really act like a real couple.” He shrugs his shoulders and made a loud “tsk” as he looks away. “If I knew it would be like this, maybe I didn’t push through this marriage anymore. Aahhh…” He sighs loudly as if it’s the most disappointing thing that has ever happened to his life. It’s obvious that he doesn’t want to be a real couple with me.

Well, excuse me, sir, but the feeling is mutual.

“But ahjumma seems to be really happy about this, and I don’t want to disappoint her. She did everything to please the council and now, aish…”

“How many months is it going to be?” I ask.

“I don’t know. I’m not sure.” He looks at me in a funny expression. “Of course, I didn’t ask her because I didn’t want to look worried. I called her and thanked her over the phone and told her I won’t put her to shame.”

I let out a loud sigh. Marriage paper is one thing. Living together with the Stubborn and ty Lee is a different thing. Heck, acting like his real wife ALL THE FREAKING time will be my nightmare.

“Are we living in the same house then?” He nods heavily, sighing again as he looks in the ground. “YAH! Why do you look so miserable upon realizing that you’re living with me?!”

“Why?! Should I rejoice about it?!” Taemin’s eyes widen in surprise and he mockingly laughs. “Should I thank Heaven and Hell for bringing this kind of luck to us? Should I be grateful of this?! Should I feel like I’m the luckiest man in the world right now?!”

“Hah!” I look away with an offended look on my face. “Well, I feel the same way, too, you know!” I hiss.

We are in the middle of bickering when someone unfamiliar comes over. “Are you perhaps Dr. Lee Taemin?” He asks to which Taemin nods after some seconds of thinking. It seems like he doesn’t know the person as well. “And are you his fiancée, Ms. Song Rae In?”

I look at Taemin and he looks back. Few seconds later, he flashes his silvery smile and pulls me closer to him by hugging me on my waist. Oh my gosh, I didn’t see it coming. “She is. What can we do for you, sir?”

“I’m the representative of the council for orphans and I am sent here to congratulate the both of you on your marriage. I heard you are going to have it immediately today due to Dannie’s case so I understand the situation.”

“Yes, thank you.” Taemin says cooly as he nods. “We’re about to get inside to register our marriage. Thank you for your greetings, sir.”

“Can I come in with you?”

His request totally take us by surprise. He’s here to witness our marriage? Why? I mean… do they really invest their time on that? I look at Taemin at the same time he looks back. We are both puzzled.

“Let me be honest with you.” The representative says. “I am actually here to make sure a true marriage registration is going to happen. Your case was addressed to us by the head administrator so we trust you, but we just want to make sure. There’s already one incident where a couple faked their marriage to get one child – and that child was used on child trafficking. I hope you understand that we are just doing this to ensure the safety of the innocent girl.”

“I understand.” I nod but seesh, deep inside, I have a lot of thoughts in mind like what if they’re going to catch us faking our relationship? Then I won’t be able to get Dannie for real – ever. “Should we go together inside, sir?”

“I’ll be glad.” He tells us and I look at Taemin. He’s still wearing that sweet and gentle smile on his face until he turns his back against him to walk with me inside the registration office.

Both of us don’t feel good about what’s happening…

… and the acting starts now.

I am not aware marriage registration is this easy. I engage myself into conversation with Taemin as if we’re really close, trying to make the representative believe that we are indeed a real couple. It’s a good thing he’s responding in a good way. I learn from him that it’s easier to register marriage between the both of us because we’re both in the right age. The older you are, the lesser you are required to present the consent of both parents.

There were also few requirement, but when the registrar asked us for the certification from the seminar before the marriage, I was in panic. We never really went into any seminar before this, but Taemin smiled and showed something. It was that – the certification of the seminar. I don’t know where this guy found that… or was it okay to attend seminar without your partner? Ugh. I don’t know. Let him handle that.

I sign. He signs. The registrar signs and holla! We’re married.

After Taemin receives the certification, he jokingly looks at the representative, “Sir, do we have to seal this certification with a kiss?”

My eyes totally go bigger than usual. What… kiss?

The latter chuckles. “It’s not necessary but if it’s for own good then by all means.”

“Nah. My wife easily blushes, and I’m going to save those blushes later on.” He giggles and JUST COMFORTABLY SLIDES HIS ARMS ON MINE TO HAVE OUR FINGERS INTERTWINED. He is taking me by surprise, really, though I know I should be prepared in all of these.

We walk out of the office with our fingers intertwined. He even plays with it as he swings them slightly, making the representative smile as he thought he is seeing a really sweet couple right in front of his eyes.

If you only knew, sir. If you… only knew.

“So, are you going to go to the orphanage immediately?” The representative asks and I swear all I could do is just wait for Taemin to answer. Suddenly, it’s like I already lost my right to speak first.

“No, sir, we’ll go somewhere for the meantime. Maybe, we’ll see Dannie in 2-3 days.” He answers.

“Okay, then, see you on the signing of the papers for her custody. I’ll go ahead.” He smiles for one last time before turning his back to leave.

And that’s the only time both of us can finally breathe freely again.


Ihartjinki's

For those of you asking for an update of the other story, Unwelcomed Pleasure, I'll write an update as soon as I get free time from school stuff. I can only post several chapters for this story coz I already have some chapters left unposted on my file. I already started on this a long time ago so I have like 11 chapters written already - but of course, I'll post them one at a time! 

For Unwelcomed Pleasure, I'll still have to write the chapter so really... I need more time for that, but please do look forward! :)