Back to Seoul

Running Out of Reasons

(Rae In)

The scenery of the tall buildings outside makes me smile in excitement. Finally, we’re back to Seoul. Brazil is such a very beautiful place: Fresh air, the sight of nature, the beach, the white sand, and all eye-pleasing sights, but coming back to my own home feels the safest and most relaxing. I’m starting to get more dramatic with these thoughts, maybe because it was my first time being out of the country for such a time.

“Did they forget we’re coming back today?” Taemin steals my attention. He’s sitting beside me inside the car, his hands on his phone, “Should I call mom?”

I shrug. I remember they didn’t meet us at the airport when we arrived. We were expecting they would be there. However, maybe they really forgot, or they had some more important things to do today.

“She’s not picking up.” He glances at me with that confused look. Normally, his mom would be so attentive. She picks up her phone seconds after it rings, and she never allows anyone wait for her that long. So I understand why Taemin suddenly has this wondering look on his face.

“Try dad.” I suggest to which he immediately does.

“Just the same.” He answers and stares at me longer now. “Did something happen?”

“Hmm, maybe they have some errands today. Who knows?” Honestly, I don’t find it much of a big deal that they didn’t get to see us arrive. It’s understandable. They are busy people. Dad handles his own company and mom, well, she supports him. After they came back from Jeju few days ago, I’m sure they had a lot of catching up to do regarding their business.

“How about just picking Dannie up from school?” Taemin smiles at the thought. Yes. We could just pick her up from school and surprise her that we’re back. For sure she has no idea right now.

“Let’s do that!” Taemin says excitedly but abruptly gets distracted when his phone starts ringing. It’s Jinki.

“Oh, hyung, how did you know I’m back?” He speaks as soon as he picks up his call. “Huh? What?! Is this some kind of a joke, hyung?”

The way Taemin talks sounded like it’s something urgent. Did something happen? He looks worried. What is his hyung telling him?

He ends the call with that horrible look on his face. “What happened, Taemin? What did he say?” I ask – starting to get worried as well.

“Dannie.”

“What about Dannie?” I am alarmed by the way he utters my daughter’s name. “What’s up with her?!”

“Calm down, we’re going to find out what’s happening.”

“No, what happened??!” I start screaming inside the car. What happened to her??

“She’s missing.” The words come out of his mouth like knives thrown at me. She’s missing?

“She’s… what?” This is not happening. Taemin is joking.

“He said someone picked her up from school. It was a man and he got her inside the car. When mom was about to pick her up, she wasn’t there, and no one knew who took her.”

“What?! Why did they just let her go with a stranger?! This is bull!” My mind just gets blank the moment I realized he’s not joking. Something really happened to Dannie.

We rush to her school. Mom and Dad are there arguing with the management.

“Mom! Dad!” Taemin shouts and we run to see them.

“Taemin, Rae In. I’m sorry. I should have come earlier.” Mom is crying so badly.

“Honey, calm down. We’ll figure it out. Someone we know might have just taken her somewhere.” Dad’s voice is obviously shaking, but he’s trying to stay still in the middle of the chaotic situation.

“Aren’t you supposed to keep close eyes on your children? What if something happens to my child? How will you be able to take responsibility?!” I scream towards Dannie’s teacher. I can’t help it. I need to see my child. I need to know she’s fine.

“I’m sorry, Mrs. Lee, we didn’t know-“

“You didn’t know?! You’re not supposed to give her just to anyone who introduce himself as someone who knows her!”

“It was because Dannie seemed to be fine with him.”

“Fine?! She’s just a child! You didn’t know what the man did in order to lure her! What kind of security do you have here?!”

“Rae In-ah…” Taemin holds me but my body is shaking both in anger and in worries. “First, we’ll call the police to inform them about this, and so we could have the authority help us out.”

“But Taemin, what if something happens…”

“Sshhh…” He presses my shoulders tightly and gives me a reassuring look. “She will be okay. Trust me.”

Taemin starts calling the authority, while dad also starts calling people he knows who can help as well. Meanwhile, mom walks over to me, hugs me tightly and I do the same.

“Did anyone see what car the man who took her used?” Taemin goes back to Dannie’s teacher. She stutters first before finally answering.

“They said it was a Black Honda Civic Sedan.”

“I don’t know anyone who owns something like that.” He says while shaking his head. I know he’s panicking, too, but he just doesn’t want to show it since his mom and I are already out of our minds.

In the middle of all of these, my phone suddenly rings. It’s an unknown number.

“Who’s this?”

“Mommy?”

“Dannie!” I shout in surprised and everybody look at me. Dannie is really on the other line! “Dannie, where are you? Who took you? Are you okay?! Mommy’s going to pick you up!” I say continuously.

“Mommy, I’m with uncle Young Jin. He is my appa’s brother. He said you’re good friends with him.”

Young Jin? Her appa’s brother?

“Mommy, he said he is sending me home. Are you and daddy at home now?”

“Wait, Dannie, mommy’s gonna be home soon.” I say as I grab Taemin’s hand. “We’ll wait for you there, okay?”

“Okay, mommy, I miss you!” She says before hanging up.

“That’s Dannie? Where is she?” Mom speaks as soon as I look back at them.

“She’s going home.” It’s the only thing I can say at the moment. My heart is already at my throat. I’m so nervous and I just need to see Dannie as soon as possible.

“Who is she with?” Taemin asks.

“Lee Young Jin.” I speak. “He’s her father’s brother. I didn’t know he has returned. He’s already based in Europe. They were just half-brothers. Different mothers and so Young Jin never really considered being in good terms with his dongsaeng.”

“Then why does he concern himself to Dannie?”

“I don’t know.” I really don’t know. If he’s really Young Jin, then maybe he has finally changed and found a soft spot for Dannie. However, as I recall, he didn’t even go to see his brother’s wake when he passed away.

“I get that he’s Dannie’s family, but we’re her legal guardians. It’s not right to just get her and take her somewhere as he pleases.” Taemin says – obviously annoyed.

Finally, we arrive in front of the building. I run to the lobby and there, I found Dannie, smiling brightly as if she’s telling me that she had a great time the entire day.

“Song Rae In.” Young Jin calls as he stands and walks closer to where we are. He’s smiling, but I don’t like the way he does. I don’t know, it looks… threatening. “It’s nice to see you again.” He adds.

“Hi.” I say blandly and look beside me to see Taemin’s reaction. Young Jin doesn’t have much of a good first impression from Taemin since he made us all worried about Dannie. “By the way, this is Lee Taemin, my husband.”  I speak trying not to sound tensioned, when in fact, I know some kind of man-to-man thing is building up between the two guys.

“Oh.” Young Jin’s eyebrows flinch a bit before continuing. “Your husband.”


A/N: OH FINALLY AFTER SUCH A LONGGG TIME, I CAN WRITE AGAIN. LOL.