The Start of the Vacation Trip

Running Out of Reasons

(Taemin)

I can’t understand how it suddenly turns out to be like this. I used to be in control. She used to be very speechless when I say something that caught her off guard – but now, it is just really different. I’m not used to it, and honestly, I don’t know if I like the feeling or not.

It’s because I’ve never been mandated my whole life. Even as a young kid, my parents have given me the right to choose for myself, to think of what’s right for me and to get these things by myself. Yes, they provided me all these that I have: money, education, leisure, and so much more, but I’m much in control of everything. They are just there, guiding me and supporting me and standing on my back just in case I fail on something.

So this feeling is really new, and I definitely would insist that I’ll try to change this back to normal as possible as I can, but actually, looking at her expression; it kind of surprises and intimidates me at the same time. She looks very… determined and … capable.

I’ve never been to Rio. I often go abroad but mostly to Asian countries only. I’ve gone to some states in U.S, though but this is my first time here. They say it’s a paradise. That’s how my parents described this, too, when they went home after a one-month trip in Brazil. I can’t deny that fact now. This place is really beautiful – actually, it’s beyond that. Aside from the fact that I can only think of soccer when I hear the country name Brazil (thanks to Minho-hyung), I’d have to say this place is fantastic in general.

After arriving at the airport, we still have to travel by a private service for about 45 minutes before we reach the pension. It’s a huge vacation house located just beside the sea. The place looks really serene and peaceful. The sand is white and the water is so blue. There are so many tall coconut trees standing just meters away from the house. Farther than the trees is the forest already. The care taker of the house says it will be good to hike in there during the morning. The weather is not so hot and still windy since we’re at the beach. He also says it often rains at night, which makes the atmosphere much cooler just in time for bed.

Actually, the way he says “It will be cold during the night”, sounds a bit weird to me, like he’s implying something. I get that Rae In feels the same way, for she swallows and looks away as the guy mentions about the cold night.

The one-storey house is built on an elevated land so we have to make few steps up before reaching the door to the entrance. The interior looks very refreshing. The combination of light blue and pale green color is very eye friendly. The walls facing the beach are made of transparent glass. I think most of the beach houses are built this way. You can’t just disregard the beauty of this place that you still want to see it while you’re inside the house. There are two rooms located opposite the living area and a Jacuzzi at the terrace on where you can still have yourself relaxed in the warm water while enjoying the beauty outside.

I watch as Rae In walks to the terrace and stands beside the Jacuzzi. She takes her phone and is in for a video call with Dannie.

“If you have anything you need, sir, just press the number 2 button on that phone. That’s connected to mine.” The caretaker takes me back to my conversation with him. I nod in agreement and look at the telephone he is talking about. It resides on the working table at the kitchen. “Okay, then, I’ll go ahead.”

“Thanks a lot, Nelson.” We shake hands before he finally leaves.

I take another look around the spacious vacation house before deciding to join Rae In who is already talking to our daughter.

“Don’t be shy to ask grandma if you need help on anything, okay?” I hear her telling the child. “Or you can always call me if something comes up.”

“Mommy, don’t worry. I’m a big girl now.” Dannie answers and notice me walking towards her mom. “Daddy!”

Rae In glances at me quickly and pushes the phone a bit farther so it can capture us both. “Hi, sweetie, how’s everything?”

“All fine, daddy.” She speaks enthusiastically again. “We’re going to jeju tomorrow! Grandma, grandpa, and I are going to school today to ask for permission to absent.”

“That’s good but promise your teacher you’ll catch up with the lessons as soon as you can so she doesn’t have to worry, okay?” Rae In answers.

“Hm!” She utters cutely with a nod.

“How about grandpa and grandma?” I ask.

“They’re here!” Dannie then switches the camera, now facing both my parents. They are all smiles.

“Hi, son, how are you liking our gift so far?” Dad speaks with a hint of some teasing on his tone. I smirk. “Good, eh? It’s pretty relaxing there, right, Rae In?”

“Yes, appa, omma, thank you so much for this gift.” I am standing behind Rae In so I can’t completely see her reactions. But based on what I can see from the small monitor on her phone and from how her voice sounds, she seems smiling.

“Spend some good time together, okay?” Mom reminds us again and that’s like the 101st time she did it. “Rae In-ah, there are so many y girls out there…” I don’t know why she’s telling that to her. “And I don’t want my daughter to lose to them so… I actually have one more gift for you, my dear.”

“A gift?” Rae In speaks in a confused tone. “What gift, omma?”

“It’s in your bag. I wanted it to be a surprise so I kinda sneak it in while you were both busy.” She chuckles like the playful mom she is. “You don’t have to call right away and thank me once you see it, though.” Again, another playful laugh from her, which also makes me curious of that gift. It’s not a weird thing, right? Probably just some makeup kit or beauty pack since she probably noticed how she doesn’t really groom her face that much.

But still beautiful, of course. Very.

“We’re talking too long already, you should go take some rest.” Dad reminds which immediately puts the screen back to Dannie.

“Mommy, daddy, let’s talk some other time, okay? Take care!”

“Love you, sweetie.” Both of us say at the same time which has Dannie nodding and replying with I love you, too then they’re out of the line.

After few seconds of silence, Rae In speaks. “I’m actually hungry. How about some snacks?”

“Aren’t you tired?” I ask back thinking it was such a long travel. She probably should sleep first before cooking something right now.

“I’m hungrier.” She shrugs and walks back inside the house to the kitchen. “There must be something in the fridge, right? Just some quick snack.”

I follow her as she wanders around the kitchen. “He says he stuffed the fridge and the pantry with all the things we would need.”

“Woah.” She utters when she opens the two-door fridge widely. “He’s not joking. This is really… stuffed.”

Rae In looks around for a while before taking a couple of eggs from the container, then she looks at me – not a single bit of awkwardness – unlike how she actually looked before we left Korea. “How about you?”

That easy look on me surprises me, so I am blank for a minute before saying “Ba-bacon.” Damn that stuttering.

“Sure.” She says and also takes the still unopened pack of bacon.

Rae In proceeds to the stove. The setting is very different from our house so she studies it a bit quickly before moving again. She has to find the utensils first, and some things she needs for cooking. I stand there not helping – I don’t know what to help about. She seems like she wants to do it by herself.

“Want me to help?” I volunteer, but she shakes her head without even looking at me.

“I’m okay.” This girl speaks, and there’s silence again as she carefully puts a bit cooking oil on the pan then strikes a looks at me after that. “Why don’t you go around check out everything else we haven’t seen? I’ll call you once it’s all done. Bread would be good enough, right?”

“Yes.” I answer shortly and then nod. “I’ll just be around.”

I go out of the kitchen and walk to the living area. Actually, I think we’ve seen everything, so I just stand against the glass wall to look at the scenery outside. The beach. This vacation house is too private. You can see tourists far so many meters away and they look really small like ants, but on this side, it’s empty, as if there’s a hidden borderline which forbids other people to come to this side. However, I like it that way. It’s private, and I know Rae In won’t like it either if we have to go along so many foreigners during this vacation.

Then I realize something.

I actually follow just one order from her.

Why don’t you go around and check everything else we haven’t seen?

Then I immediately said yes and left the kitchen. I realize I am following her unconsciously, and I realize as well that she actually has started to control me so easily, and that’s a bit alarming.