The Reason for Coming Back

Running Out of Reasons

(Tae Min)

“Long time, no see.” The guy speaks in English as he chuckles and looks at Rae In. It’s obvious that he’s trying to dismiss my presence in this conversation. He never paid a glance aside from that short glare I received when Rae In introduced me as her husband. “How are you?” He asks.

“Great.” My wife answers shortly and I know right from there that they are not friends. “What brought you here? Aren’t you busy with your Europe stuff?”

“Europe stuff?” He knitted his eyebrows then lets out a loud chuckle. Some people at the lobby had to look at us. “You mean my businesses? Oh, they’re great. Expanding.” I don’t know why he has to emphasize the word ‘expanding’. Who cares about his businesses anyways? “But I’m here to see my niece.” He adds up and winks at Dannie. “And to see you.”

Wow. Wow. For this first time in my life, I feel so little next to some other guy. How do I look standing here next beside Rae In as they talk and the guy obviously means something else than just wanting to see her niece?

He actually mentions it already. He’s here to see her. He’s here to see my wife.

And yep, he said that right in front of my face.

“We’re great. Dannie’s been doing well with us.” Rae In glances at me and smiles. I nod and smile back.

“Ahm, you know….” He pauses a bit and looks down at Dannie once again. My daughter smiles. I wonder how he got her fondness of him this quickly. “I need to discuss some matters about her. How about we talk about it over dinner?”

This guy… I know what he wants. Does he like Rae In? His actions and his words prove that he’s interested in my wife. But Rae In never told me this guy has a thing on her.

“Taemin!” Minho calls from behind. He’s with the other three and they’re running towards us. “Oh, dear, you made us all worried!” He says when he sees Dannie.

“Where has she been?” Jinki hyung asks and I only smile – a smile that I know each of them can read perfectly.

“She’s been with this friend, her uncle.” I gesture at that guy’s direction and the four hyungs look at him like they’re already judging him.

“Ah, he’s her dad’s brother.” Rae In speaks.

“Half-brother.” I correct although Rae In slightly elbows me. I glance at her and she gives me this knowing look. “Oh, hyungs, can you do me a favor?” I look back at the guys, hoping they get the hidden message I’m trying to send them.

“Sure.” Kibum answers right away.

“My friend here wants to discuss something with us, and I think Dannie is a bit tired now so she should go up our unit to get some rest.”

“Oh, that’s an easy task!” Minho says gladly and immediately kneels down for Dannie. “It seems like we haven’t seen each other for days, Dannie. Do you want some catching up with the uncles?” He asks the little girl and she is more than enthusiastic in response, so Minho lifts her and carries her on his arms.

“Oh, I was just wondering if I could…”

“It will be impolite to just have Rae In talk to you about Dannie. After all, half of the responsibility goes to me.” I say completely cutting him off. The hyungs are on their way to the elevator now with Dannie. They arrived on such a perfect timing.

Grabbing Rae In’s hand, I pull her closer to me – straightly claiming what’s mine. “I know a very good restaurant just around the corner. Come on. It’s on me.” I don’t need him to agree as I already start walking with Rae In tightly holding my hand.

“Hey,” Rae In whispers as we walk few meters away from the guy. “I don’t want you to start a trouble, okay? Calm yourself down, Mr. Lee.” I look at her and she raises an eyebrow towards me. She’s so cute that I have to smile so widely. “Aisshh, stop flirting!” She rolls her eyes on me and shakes her head.

Few blocks from the condominium, there’s this minimalistic style restaurant which serves high-class dishes and liquors.

“This place is nice.” He praises as soon as we arrive inside.

“I know a doctor from the Seoul Medical Institute. His wife manages this with her friends. Not bad, right?” I boast. It’s the thing between males. You have to flaunt your assets and connections the most natural way you can. “Your best course tonight, please.” I instruct the receptionist right away. She nods and leaves the table for just the three of us. “So what business do you have in Europe?” As friendly as I could, I try opening up a conversation. I shot a short glance at Rae In to see her smiling calmly at me, although I know she wants to scream at me right now because she knows I’m about to start some .

“Oh, you mean businesses?” He corrects and it irritates me. He corrected Rae In, too, a while ago when she just mentioned about ‘Europe stuff’. “There are a lot, actually, but mostly on manufacturing. I also have this transaction system that distributes goods to some big supermarkets in the country.”

So he’s really a big time. This guy is really something, then. “Are you into business as well?” This time, he asks me, and sure I won’t lose to him.

“Not, really. Business is not my thing. It’s boring. You sit there and be the boss, and everybody works for you. Mostly, the only thing you do is sign papers all day, then if you have spare time, you go out and do inspections.” I laugh a bit when I notice that not-so-amused expression on his face. “That’s the exact thing I told my dad when he asked me to take a business course in college. He wanted me to take over the business. I said no, simply because it’s not my thing. I took medicine, instead. Now I’m a pediatrician, and I’m starting my own world by putting up a clinic for children. In time, I’m positive I can put up my own hospital, too.” I can see the mocked expression on his face. However, I’m not stopping there. “I strived hard to put that clinic up by myself. I’m glad to know you’re already a business tycoon at your age. Must be hard putting up those businesses, right?”

“Actually… it’s a family business. My dad just recently hands me the presidency.”

Burn! And he was boasting about having multiple successful businesses when in fact, he wasn’t the one who had it grown into such giants. Smiling, I take the glass of water and have a sip. “I see.” I say afterwards. “But that’s good. You don’t need to work so hard then.”

The smile on his face leaves him and he stares at me now as if he’s telling me he doesn’t like where the conversation is going. I chuckle and take another sip of water. Not that I’m nervous. I just don’t know what to do in this situation of having another man stare at me from across the table. It’s awkward.

When I look at Rae In, she has her elbows against the table. Her hands placed on her cheeks. “Are you done boasting – I mean, talking about your stuff?” She speaks and takes her hands off, crossing her arms in front of her. “So tell me, Young Jin-ssi. Why did you have to take Dannie without informing us and why didn’t you even tell us you’re coming to see her?”

“Well…” He pauses first before continuing. I watch as Rae In throws her that questioning look. She really has that character. So intimidating. “Why is it such a big deal getting to see her for a while?” The way he talks sounds like he doesn’t care about all the people who were worried about Dannie. “I’m an uncle, and I was so delighted to go back and see her.”

“At least you should have informed someone. We were all worried!”

Rae In said not to get into trouble, but here she is starting to raise her voice a little louder than normal.

“You know what? I can actually take her custody.”

Both Rae In and I stop the moment he starts speaking again. Take what? Her custody? What? Why?

“You’re not yet her official guardians, right? There’s still months before the adoption gets legalized. Technically, Dannie is just under your foster care. If I raise a petition, I have the chance to get her.”

“No, wait, why are you doing this?” Rae In is very surprised. She has told me how this guy never cared about his brother, so hearing from him now that he wants to take Dannie, it sounds so impossible and unbelievable. “You see, we took Dannie because we knew no one’s gonna take her as their family. You were in Europe all this time and didn’t even go to your brother’s and Dan Mi’s wakes, and then you’ll suddenly appear telling us that you can raise a petition to get Dannie? For what? I don’t understand!”

“Taking her will be less burden to you.” He mutters confidently – with a smile even. “For sure, Taemin-ssi wants you by himself since you’re newlyweds…”

“Where did that come from?” I couldn’t contain myself so I have to speak up. “I love Dannie as my own child so I don’t like how you’re implying that I consider her as a disturbance. No. Never. She’s an important part of the family I started forming with Rae In.”

He is obviously surprised with the words I just threw at him. His mouth was a bit open and he has stared blankly before redeeming himself again. He stands up and fixes his suit. “Let’s see what I can do, then.” He bows towards us and just like that, he leaves.

Rae In and I look at each other. We don’t talk, but we know what each of us is thinking. Someone wants to get Dannie? That Lee Young Jin?


A/N: Hi guys, I'd appreciate it more if you talk to me on the comments section! Hahahahaha I miss reading your thoughts so please expect more updates!! 

And by the way, guess what? I'm graduating from College! /cheers/ whoohoo! That explains why I had to be gone for months. The last year in college is such an all kill. LOL. /end of rant/

commenntttsssss! hahaha