Bad Blood

Running Out of Reasons

“How about we take Dannie to the mall after school and buy her some stuff? We can eat on the way.” Taemin suggested as we drove towards Dannie’s school. We decided to pick her up together after coming back from the orphanage.  

“Sounds good.” I nodded. After all, it would be great to take a break for a while. True, we just got back from our honeymoon but the past month was nothing but exhausting since we were so worried about Lee Youngjin and what he could do.

A few moments later, we finally got Dannie inside the car with us. She was sitting at the back and could not stop talking about her day at school. She was so excited about her stories. We were having fun listening to her, too, as her lively voice echoed in the car. I could see Taemin had finally relaxed.

Suddenly, his phone rang. He took one of his airpods in. It was his dad.

“Daddy’s gonna take a call for a while, babe.” I whispered to Dannie at the back. She quickly understood and covered cutely. I winked at her and chuckled silently. She did the same thing back.

“Right now?” Taemin glanced at me as he spoke as if he was about to ask something. “I think it’ll be alright, dad. It sounds serious so we’ll go see you in a bit.” He ended the call then. “We need to see dad. I’ll tell you the details later.” He glanced at Dannie through the mirror as he spoke. I knew it was something Dannie should not hear.

“Babe, which uncle do you want to play with today?” Taemin asked and Dannie’s face immediately light up. She excitedly mentioned her uncle Jinki and told us how he promised to buy her pizza when they meet. I sent a message to uncle Jinki and he responded right away.

Not long after, we dropped Dannie over Jinki’s and told her we’d pick her up before dinner. She was cool about it. She loved being around her favorite uncle all the time.

“It’s about Lee Youngjin.” Taemin said when we went back in the car. “Dad said he figured out something and we need to see it immediately.”

“He had him checked?”

He nodded. “I had no idea.”

Well, his dad’s social status definitely had the power to do something like that. Although Taemin was not aware, he was not surprised either.

We went straight to his office the moment we arrived at their company. It was a 32-storey building in Gangnam. His dad was on the 17th, the executive’s floor.

“You’re just in time.” His dad uttered as soon as we got in. He was being handed a brown envelope by his secretary. “I got something to show you. Take your seats.” 

He stood up from his chair and went towards us on the couch. His serious face was making me a bit nervous. What’s with Lee Youngjin this time?

The brown envelope contained names and numbers which were hard for me to understand. Taemin seemed like he would be able to get something. He consciously studied them as his dad laid the papers on the table.

“Where did you get these?” He asked. Confusion was all over his place.

“It doesn’t matter. Look.” His dad took one paper and showed us. It was an organizational chart with names and positions below. It looked like something corporations like this would have but still, I couldn’t understand a thing. As if he realized how clueless I was, he started explaining.

“This is LNC Corp’s executive chart. This one on top is Lee Young Gun. He’s Lee Youngjin’s father, therefore, Dannie’s biological grandfather. Their business is pretty much a success in Europe. This man is very good at what he does. I know. We’ve done business with them before. But do you notice anything with this chart?”

“It doesn’t have Lee Youngjin’s name anywhere.” I said right when I noticed that I didn’t get to read his name on the chart. “Isn’t he supposed to be a part of the family business?” I asked.

“He was.” Taemin’s dad answered. “He used to be the company’s vice president for external affairs. He screwed up big time, not just once, twice, but on three different occasions. I heard he was supposed to be demoted but the shareholders ousted him completely. His dad never objected. I thought with the amount of humiliation he got from his son, he would rather give him something else but never his company. I won’t go through whatever stuff he did, though, here’s the rather more important thing.”

He pulled another paper from the side. Taemin looked at it and as he read it, his eyes just grew wide. “How did you get this?!”

How did he get what? The thing about rich people… is that you just could not understand why papers with names and percentage symbols were such a big deal. It’s like their lives depend on it.

But the moment I read it, Taemin’s expression all made sense to me. His dad was able to get a copy of Lee Young Gun’s current will and asset distribution. That was illegal!

“This guy surely has a lot. He got few properties in Europe but most of them were here in Korea. This Lee Youngjin will still get 10% of his father’s total share in the company. I think Lee Young Gun roughly owns 30-45% of LNC Corp’s share, meaning Lee Youngjin will probably get around 3% of the whole company.  Aside from this, Lee Youngjin will only have this one property in Seoul and this club in Gangnam that he’s already managing right now. If you look over this name, though…”

His dad pointed over the middle part of the list. It was Han Dannie’s name!

“This might be because he was guilty of what happened to his son, Dannie’s dad, that he has done this for her. You see, 25% of his total share which probably makes up 10% of the whole company, an apartment complex in Seoul and a beach resort in Jeju, Han Dannie will inherit of all of these.”

My jaw just dropped with all those information. Turned out that Dannie would have more money than I have in the future!

“This clause says that she’s going to get the house in Seoul once she turns 18, the rest of her inheritance when she turns 25. If Lee Young Gun dies before that, that’s when Han Dannie’s guardianship gets into the picture.”

The three of us got all serious. We knew what was about to be said.

“This is why Lee Youngjin got into your lives. He wanted to get Dannie for her inheritance.”

So it is because of this, after all. When he said that he wanted to get me, it was merely a distraction from his ill intent. He did not want to come off as taking Dannie without purpose so he wanted to use me for that. How was he considered a human being?

“We should keep Dannie out of his sight for the mean time.  I am sure, with the way this guy is acting, he’s not going to stop until he gets what he wants.” His dad said and both of us agreed. “Let’s send her somewhere else. Let’s ask the orphanage to expedite the papers for her safety. Lastly, we should get Lee Young Gun and have him drag his son’s away from here.” Taemin’s dad said chicly, and I was not even surprised about that. It looked like Taemin’s going to be the same after 20 years of marriage.  

We talked about few more things before leaving his office. His father would make a way to reconnect with Lee Young Gun, while I and Taemin would secure all things needed to send Dannie away. We thought of sending her out of the country, but it would be too hard for her and we didn’t want to have drastic change with her environment either. We decided to send her back to Jeju again with Taemin’s mom. She would definitely love to take care of her grandchild.

Now that we knew what Lee Youngjin’s real intentions were, we would definitely not back down from this guy. More than anything, we prioritize Dannie’s safety, and we’d ensure she won’t be exploited in any way possible.


A/N: I can't believe I made it back here after 2 long years!! Is anybody still here reading? I am just out here to get this Lee Youngjin guy! ggrr