The... whatever

Running Out of Reasons

A/N: IDK I'm too .... uhm, lazy? to give it a title chapter, so just comment what you would like the chapter title to be. Hahahaha!


(Rae In)

And he doesn’t just stop there.

Taemin and I decide that we should just try shrugging him off. Confident enough that we’ll have Dannie until the end, Taemin believes it’s best to just let him be, after all, I also think he’s just teasing. Maybe he has nothing to do while he’s back? I don’t think he will stay here for good though. Two, three weeks? And he will back to Europe to continue living his own life.

Honestly, I don’t think he really wants Dannie. I don’t know. It’s just hard to believe. Now if he wants a child, a daughter, a son, or whatever he prefers, a lot of girls are piled up for him to choose from. He can get a wife as easy as Taemin can date anyone before. Lee Youngjin doesn’t need to spend his time and his money for a child that I don’t even know if he finds valuable at all.

“Have you talked to Dannie?” Taemin says as he sits at the table and I fix the table for breakfast. Dannie is still upstairs getting dressed for school.

“I did. I told her not to trust strangers easily. Now, if her uncle sees her again and wants to take her somewhere, she should call us first.” Dannie is an intelligent girl. For sure she understands that all we want is to make sure that she’s always safe especially when we are not around to look after her.

Just when Taem’s about to reply, Dannie comes running to the table. “Dannie, slow down.” I remind her and she follows.

“Daddy?”

“Yes babe?”

“I’m sorry that you were worried about me.” She says sweetly and Taemin looks at me in confusion. I nod.

“I told her you’re very worried when we came home and you didn’t see her immediately.”

Taemin gestures for Dannie to hop on his lap. Dannie does and Taemin fondles her hair. “We just want to make sure our angel is always safe.” He says lovingly and Dannie agrees cutely.

“Tell your uncle to give me a call first before taking you somewhere, kay?” I add and Taemin looks up at me immediately – with that suspicious look. “What?”

“Hey. You can just talk to him about Dannie, okay? Don’t let him contact you about anything else.”

Oh, look who’s jealous? I can’t help but smile. His tone really screams jealousy. Taemin notices me smirking so he frowns, “I don’t think I said something funny.”

“Fine, Dr. Lee. I won’t talk to him about anything else but Dannie. Are you relieved now?” He childishly rolls his eyes on me and continues giggling with Dannie. Sometimes, he just really acts like he’s the same age as her.

So today, I am in charge of taking Dannie to school. Taemin proceeds to his clinic after driving us.

“Now, mommy’s gonna pick you up later. If that uncle arrives and wants to take you out, tell him to call me first or better yet, tell him to wait for me, okay?” For the last time, I remind her. Dannie nods once again, puts on her angelic smile which always highlights her rosy cheeks.

“I see, it’s so difficult to have a date with my niece.” I automatically look behind me to someone who just spoke. It’s Young Jin. “Hi.”

“Oh.” I stand up immediately – it’s a bit awkward. “Hi – why are you here? Oh, I guess – Uhm, but Dannie’s about to enter her class now, can you, uhm…”

I don’t know why I’m in panic. Maybe because I can see him as a threat.

Look, I know he can’t get Dannie away from us. We have legal rights regarding Dannie’s custody. We followed the right process and I really don’t think he can have the rights after just coming out right now – even though he’s actually related to her by blood.

No – really, but why do I feel like he has some bad spirits with him that make me a bit nervous? Is he some villain every love story has? Oh, not that I refer about Taemin and I’s love story as I know this is about Dannie’s welfare but – oh, anyways.

“Good luck, princess.” Young Jin looks at Dannie and smiles. She does the same and waves at him before finally entering the classroom.  

“So, are you free?” He turns to me when it’s only the two of us left. “How about coffee?”

“Actually… I’m not free.” Literally – and connotatively. I’m not free because I have work, and I’m also not free because I have Taemin as my husband. Does he get that? Wait, why am I even assuming that he likes me? Not that I assume, it’s just that… I know Taemin sees him as his rival – or someone that would actually want to, eherm… steal me? “I have to go to work today.” I add.

“Oh.” He slowly nods and looks away, sighing, then he returns to me and smiles. “I just think you will be very interested to hear from me what I just figured out.”

“What are you talking about?” I don’t like the way he curves those lips forming a smile. It’s oddly meaningful – weird. “What did you figure out?”

“Oh, well, I can explain it over coffee date.” He chuckles teasingly and crosses his arms – raising his eyebrows at me as if he’s waiting for the confirmation. “So?”

“Fine.” I give up which breaks a wider smile on his face. Whatever it is – I need to know what that thing he figured out was. 

There’s this cute coffee shop few blocks away from Dannie’s school. I leave a message to my officemate telling her I’ll probably be late for work today. I won’t take too long, though. I’ll make sure of that.

“So tell me about it.”

“Jeez, Song Rae In, can you give me a break? We just entered the café, can we at least take our orders first and then sit down?” He shakes his head towards me and probably finds me unbelievable.

It’s just that, as early as now, I want him to realize that I have no plans of staying. No plans of having long chitchats with him.

“Orange juice.” I speak and he gives me this confused look.

“What? This is coffee shop. We’re supposed to-“

“I know but don’t they serve cold drinks here?” Youngjin’s jaw drops and he shakes his head giving up on my attitude. “Orange juice please.” I repeat myself and then I walk over to some empty seats. He proceeds to get our orders before following me.

“So?” I ask as he takes his seat.

“Tell me, do you really like that boy?” He sits like a goddamn millionaire in front of me and then he smirks. It’s irritating. His whole presence is starting to irritate me. “That Lee Tae Min.”

“Since when did my feelings become your business?” I cross my arms in front of me and then I raise an eyebrow towards him. “Tell me what I need to know so I can leave.”

“I doubt you can ever leave after hearing what I have to say.” I pause when he shows his creepy smile again. “You know, sweetie, you could have just called me regarding Dannie’s custody.” He takes a sip on his coffee, lets out a sigh before continuing, “It’s better than marrying some guy like him just for the sake of your bestfriend’s daughter.”

Oh my gosh. He knows. “I- I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Come on, you know I caught you already. No point denying.” He laughs and all I could hear is a devil giggling in excitement. “I don’t know what’s with him that he agreed to this arranged marriage but the point is, I know it, Rae In.” He turns into his serious face. “Not that you fake papers. I also know you didn’t, but you fake emotions. You lied about being so in love with each other, and I don’t think the orphanage will tolerate it. Even if you present documents proving the legality of the marriage, I don’t think the council will still allow you to adopt her legally.”

“So where is this heading?” I am starting to lose my sanity. I’m getting nervous. I’m about to panic but I need to get hold of myself.

“I doubt you’ll win the case. I actually have the feeling I can take Dannie and be her legal guardian.”

“Are you serious?!” The disgust on my face appears as I hear his words. What? He wants to be her legal guardian? “You never cared about them, you were not even there when her parents passed away, and seriously, Dannie doesn’t have any inheritance or wealth or whatever that could benefit her guardian and even if she has any, you don’t need it, so why are you doing this to me? Why are you doing this to us???”

He places both hands on the table, and slowly, he leans forward – looking at me closely.

“Right. I’m not even a single bit interested in the child. I’m more interested of what she could bring in with her. You.”