The Sweet Date

Running Out of Reasons

Just few blocks away from that restaurant, Taemin is able to locate a pastry shop. He goes to find where to park his car, and as soon as he’s done, he looks at me and asks, “Let’s go?”

“But I told you it’s really okay if you want to eat there.” I say as I keep being reminded of what happened just a while ago. He cancelled the reservation right when we were about to sit down. If Taemin called for a table prior to our arrival, for sure he really wanted to eat there, so I can’t understand how a simple comment from me made him change his mind. He could have just shrugged that off! Now I’m feeling guilty. Pfft.

“We are not arguing about this, okay?” He says but looks at me with a smile. I couldn’t do anything but just nod.

We enter the shop and everything is just pleasing to my eyes. The cute designs on the walls, the pastel color paints, the tables and chairs which seem like it would fit the children’s liking, the smell of chocolates and strawberries, everything is just within my interest.

“I guess you really like it here.” Taemin probably notices the happy look on my face as I admire the wonderful place I’m in right now. I stare back at him and smile but doesn’t say anything. It’s enough to tell him I’m thankful he brought me here.

We sit beside a small fountain that is installed inside the shop. It feels good to watch the water freely flowing. It makes me feel relaxed, actually. He stands up, goes to fall in line to take our orders, but he forgets to ask me what I want. Nevertheless, I just stay sitting on my place while waiting for my sweets.

Not long enough, he comes back with a tray of his order choices. To be honest, I felt a bit excited when I see him coming over. If it’s because of the food he had on the tray or it’s because of how he looked while approaching our table, I don’t know, and really, I don’t want to know anymore. Let’s say I’m going with my choice number one: I was just really excited for the food.

“What’s this?” Basically, I love ice cream, oh, I just love sweets, so I can eat any ice cream flavour, but this one’s weird, since he ordered Chocoberry Mint Ice cream, something I have never tasted.

“Purely out of instinct.” Taemin says as he is still putting the food on the table, setting the tray aside. “You know, this is our first date, so I don’t want to give you something that isn’t as unique as I think. If I give you chocolate or strawberry, chances are, you already ate those flavours a lot of times when you were out with your friends or with your parents.  But even though I’m trying to give you something different, I should make sure you’ll like it, too.”

“So you’re sure that I’m gonna like this?” I ask to which he proudly nods. “How come?”

“Actually, I am not really sure. Why don’t you taste it? Then tell me what you think later on.” He says casually and smiles.

Along with ice cream is a slice of banana flavoured cake. Banana? Even for the cake, he picks something that is less common than chocolate, strawberry, and mocha flavoured cakes.

Meanwhile, he orders mocha frappe and a piece cinnamon sugar pretzel for himself. This is weird, because actually, I love having those two together. Mocha frappe and pretzel is a perfect match for me. Can I ask him to switch orders with me?

Fine. I take a spoonful of ice cream just to taste it.

“Not bad.”

I’m half-lying. It’s not supposed to be ‘not bad’ but rather ‘taste soooo good!’. If I were with me friends, I could have already screamed in delight and excitement. The mint flavour blends really well with chocolates and berries. This is beyond imaginable!

“Not bad… means, you’re fine with it?” He says frowning a bit while looking at me as if he’s studying my expression. I maintain a straight face. It’s quite embarrassing to randomly shout ‘Oh my gosh, this is heaven!!!’ in front of him. I will look weird!

“It tastes nice.” I smile a bit and take another spoon. Gosh. Can I eat this nonstop? This tastes so right for me. “Can I have this cake now?” I don’t know if he could sense excitement in my voice but after tasting the ice cream, I randomly have the feeling that this cake will taste good, too. I mean this banana cake, with honey syrup around real slices of bananas on top.

Oh-oh my banana cake this is so… ugh! Why didn’t I bother tasting these things before? Wow, this is just… wow!

“What can you say?” Taemin checks.

“UGH. GOSH.” I randomly let out and it’s too late to even realize I blurt those expression out a bit loudly.

“Huh?” Taemin asks but he smirks. He probably realizes by now that I really LOVE those sweets he bought.

“I mean, this is alright, too.” I say while nodding, as if I’m clueless of what he is thinking at the moment. I continue eating while I feel like he is just staring at me, watching as I take every bite of them. He is making me feel awkward, but I can’t show him I’m affected by those gazes. No. He might think I’m starting to get swooned by him.

Am I still not?

With that thought in mind, I suddenly lift up my head meeting gaze with him. I pause. My spoon still pressed on my lips. I think I stop because I’m trying to listen to myself.

“This is the very first time I ever have a serious date in a pastry shop. You’re the very first girl who chose these sweets over those expensive dishes in that restaurant. You know what? You’re uniqueness is really surprising.” He says looking directly at me.

Is he complimenting me or is he insulting me? But why does he sound so good and sweet? I’m going crazy, seriously.

“Is that a bad thing or a good thing?” I ask. I don’t know if he could sense my nervousness.

“That might be a bad thing for other girls, but it’s a good thing for me… I guess.”

This guy is a pro. He is really making my heartbeat running away (beating like a drum and it’s going your way lol) The ice cream is cold, the cake is chilled, but my face feels like burning. Ugh. Seriously. I am not some teenager to feel this way, but why?!

“Have you ever dated other guys before?” In the middle of my abnormal heartbeats, he asks this, and this topic is not gonna help me stop this twist and turning that is going on inside my tummy.

“Nope.” I say and fix my gaze down on my plate. Let’s focus on the ice cream and on the cake, Rae In. Let’s pretend the cake is the one talking to me and not some man named Lee Taemin.

“So this is your first date?”

“Yes.” Still, let’s focus on the talking cake, Song Rae In.

“And you eat pastries and ice cream on your first date? It should have been more special, Rae In.”

“But I love eating sweets on special occasions!” I couldn’t help myself, then, I have to raise my head and look him in the eyes.

“I am special, then?” He tilts his head to the side and smiles at me. I swear I am going to melt faster than this ice cream here.

“Stop dreaming.” I want to yell those words to him but they only come out like a whisper. Now I couldn’t even properly talk. He chuckles.

“You don’t need to answer that. I was just joking around.”

Ugh. Finally, he stops. I feel that panic feeling of wanting to just vanish in front of him! Seriously, I don’t know what is this feeling that he’s making me feel. I feel that I’m not gonna make sense on anything after feeling so much feels for this guy.

Wow. I hope that really makes sense.

“We need to get Dannie at 3pm so after this, we should go to the mall and pick pretty dress for you to wear later.” He says after a while when I am still staring at the cake.

I am still speechless. I probably get a bit scared of uttering out random words that will reveal my feelings. But seriously, right now, I feel like he’s shaking my world right in front of me. I don’t know if he’s being good to me on purpose or he’s really just being himself.

Perhaps, he knows a lot about making girls fall in love with him that’s why he can do it without being obvious.

Or maybe, this is just his natural self, and I am being surprised at his every move and gesture because this is not what I expected him to be even from the first day I met him few years back.

I don’t know. I’m not even prepared for this.

I never expected this.

I’m surprised.

Gosh, am I having a crush on him now?! 


A/N: Many of you are hoping for a Taemin POV. It will come... at the right time. xD For the mean time, please enjoy and keep up with Rae In's random crazy story telling. :)