The Peaceful Sight

Running Out of Reasons

It’s almost past 6pm when we get back to the car after long hours of strolling around the mall to shop for Dannie’s new clothes and things. Actually, rather saying she had fun looking and taking those beautiful and luxurious clothes, I could say that she was happier with the fact that all three of us went together. All the while, as we strolled, Taemin’s hand was fixed on Dannie’s hand tightly, reminding her from time to time to stay by his side or to my side because it’s hard to find a lost child in such a big mall. Dannie followed him well.

So now, I look like I’m the outsider, right? I don’t want to think that Rae In is happier to be with Taemin than to be with me.  Aw, I shouldn’t be jealous like this, but why… Lee Taemin, do you have to be so appealing to girls and even with little kids? What exactly do you have that captures their attention and makes them want to be with you?

Well, maybe I should not know about it, or else I’ll end up falling like the other girls he had.

Oh no, falling in love with him sounds really scary! Scarier than watching horror films or having nightmare. My, oh my, that’s something that should not happen. Whatever. I doubt it will. Seeing how I hated him from before… feelings like hatred, anger, and annoyance can easily be changed, right?

Plus, he’s only sweet to Dannie, and he’s only good to her. He’s not the same when he talks with me, so maybe that is enough to know my heart is safe – and my whole body safe as well.

Few minutes after the car leaves, I look at the mirror and see Dannie falls asleep at the back. “She’s sleeping.” I whisper and Taemin looks at the mirror as well. “She must be tired. This was a very loaded day.”

“It is.” Taemin only utters and when I look at him, I realize he looks a bit tired, too. He strengthens his shoulders forcefully and frowns, then he tilts his head to the left and to the right when he steps on the brake for a while.

I am about to ask him if he’s okay, but I realize I shouldn’t care too much about him.

Then he yawns, and covers his mouth quickly. “You’re tired?” I ask and he glances to me a bit – as if he is surprise on my question. Do I sound a bit caring? I don’t know. Whatever.

“Dannie is so young. She has a lot of energy, and we have to go with it. That’s a bit exhausting, I think.” He chuckles softly and shrugs his shoulders. “I think playing with kids is more exhausting than dancing.”

Dancing? He dances? I want to ask but I think I’ll just keep this to myself since it’s not really necessary to know more about him.

“Hey. You need to stay wide awake until we reach home. I’m afraid of encountering any accident.” I change the topic quickly and look outside the window.

“I know.” He replies coldly.

It’s almost 6:30 when we reach the apartment building. I see him yawning again when he opens his door, but I can only shrug them off and don’t care.

“She’s still sleeping.” Taemin whispers when we look at Dannie who is still on the backseat.

“Dannie-ah..”

“Shh.” Taemin stops me from waking her up and slowly reaches inside to get her. He is very careful with every movement he makes as he is afraid of waking her up. I watch from the other side of the car, seeing how he carries her with his both arms. “The shopping bags.” He reminds to keep me moving.

I run to follow him after getting the bags and press the elevator button since he can’t do it by himself. As we enter the elevator, Dannie moves but she doesn’t wake up. She only wraps her arms around Taemin’s neck and rests her head on his shoulder.

But to be honest, I can’t help but be so worried on our way to the unit. What if some random girl appears again and she sees Taemin with a kid and with another girl. For sure it will be chaotic. What if the girl next door appears again and sees this picture? Will she still get her red bikini back? I seriously don’t know, and I’m afraid Dannie will wake up so soon and witness these girls flock over her daddy.

“My friends know about Dannie.” He whispers to open a conversation between the two of us. His friends know about Dannie and so? “Do you have any friend who knows about Dannie, too? I mean, anyone who knows about this setup?”

I think of it and I realize I don’t really have any close friend to open this situation up. Well, Dan Mi’s my one and only bestfriend. I never had anyone as close as with her. “No one. But my parents know, of course.”

“So aside from your parents, my friends and my parents, the rest will recognize Dannie as our real child.” Taemin tells me seriously. “I mean, I just don’t want Dannie to hear she’s an adopted child. Though I know she knows the reality of it, I just don’t want other people talking about it.”

Wait. I thought Taemin isn’t really a sensitive guy, but what he keeps on showing towards Dannie is a whole new level of his sensitivity. He cares a lot for her, even thinking of how Dannie would feel if she keeps on hearing that she’s an adapted child.

I’m starting to believe he’s not only nice to me. After all, he wouldn’t have all these girls going crazy over him if he doesn’t have any good quality at all, right?

“Ah, Taemin.” I call out when we enter the unit. “I’ll just buy some groceries and then maybe cook dinner. How’s that?”

“Sounds good.” Taemin agrees and nods. “Wait for me here, I’ll just take Dannie to her room.”

“It’s okay. I’ll go.”

“How about some budget?”

I can’t help but chuckle upon hearing that from Taemin. Budget? He’s giving me a budget? That’s funny though I can’t explain why I find it that way. “It’s okay, I have my money.” I say and immediately leave the unit.

There’s a supermarket nearby so it’s more convenient to do groceries for now. I go out immediately to do quick stroll around the supermarket. For now, I think I’ll only buy those things I’ll be needing for the next three days. Vegetables, meat, eggs, and other ingredients.

-

I finish doing groceries after more than an hour. Forgive me, I just really love the ambience of supermarket and the sight of all these products, food supplies, and home necessities just always excites me. I always want to go with my mother when she goes to buy out one week groceries simply because I like to be in supermarkets. I like the idea of walking along these racks and the thrill of choosing between two products with different brands – comparing prices, weight, and quality. Oh, I just love that.

So though I told myself a while ago that I’ll be so quick in buying products, I ended up looking more into everything inside. The supermarket is so huge. It’s obvious that it markets high class people.

I end up having four large bags with me. They’re a bit heavy, but I always like the feeling of going home with lots of supplies along with me. It makes me feel so reliable and responsible.

No one is at the living area when I arrived. It could be that Taemin’s in his room and I know Dannie’s sleeping in her own room already. Instead of finding them, I just go straight to the kitchen and place all the things I bought on the table. Wow. This is no joke! I actually filled one large cart a while ago when shopping.

So, let’s take out those that I need for now. Honestly, I don’t think I’m good in cooking, but I don’t either. My cooking won’t make you forget your name or see rainbows as soon as you taste them, but it won’t make you puke, either. I’m just in the middle as I learned how to cook out of mom’s thought that as a growing woman, I need to study and be good at things like this. You know, I like eating more than cooking, though. And though she keeps on telling me I’ll be a mother and a wife in the future, I still can’t see the point of learning and mastering such skills just to please your husband. Like duh?

Well, anyway, at least I’m not into pleasing Lee Taemin. That’s for sure.

I didn’t cook something special. I just basically put the chicken meat into boil and put in some chopped tomatoes and onions with it, then included some potatoes cut in cubes. Don’t ask me what dish is that coz I don’t know either. I don’t think it’s mandatory to only cook along with recipes that is arranged by someone in history. As long as you can eat it, then you can make your own dish.

I thought maybe I should call Taemin and ask him to eat so I go to his room to knock on his door. There was no answer. “Taemin? Aren’t you going to eat?” I say and accidentally twist the door and found out that it’s open. As I push it slowly, I realize that the room is empty.

So where is that person?

Looking across the opposite room, which is Dannie’s, I go there to see if Dannie’s still sleeping soundly. It isn’t locked either so I push it slowly trying so hard not to make any noise.

I am surprise to find Dannie actually sleeping on Taemin’s arm. As I walk closer, I notice how she is sleeping peacefully, as if all her worries are gone in an instant. It makes me smile and happy seeing her like this. I hope she keeps on feeling like this and hopefully get brighter as days pass by. I’m hoping for the best here.

And admittedly, I know Taemin plays a huge part in getting her well.