The Little Confession

Running Out of Reasons

As we arrive home, it’s obvious how excited Dannie is regarding the event later tonight. She asks me several things like if she could meet other kids there, too, or will she meet some of my other friends and co-doctors.

Dannie has been consistently developing and getting better day by day. I remember seeing her at the orphanage that day. She was so thin and she looked sad and traumatized. It was hard to talk to her at first, so I’m glad I was able to gain her trust right away.

I can see myself on her. We might have gone under different circumstances, but what we felt; I’m sure, are the same. That’s why as soon as I see her, as soon as I read that sadness in her eyes, I want to rescue her. I want to make her feel better. So, the progress that she’s constantly making warms my heart. She is not related to me in any way, but I love her like how a real father loves his child.

And Dannie, has been a great part of my happiness right now.

I should thank her, too, for bringing someone along with her.

I had no plans of falling like this, but eventually I think I have to admit to myself, that I’m getting there. I’m getting fond of her smiles, her laughs, and even the way she rolls her eyes on me whenever I piss her off. The way she holds Dannie’s hands and they walk together, the way she is like a real mother to her, and the way she treasures the young one, I could always see that, but I was able hold it in until this morning…

When she embraced my arms and smiled at me as we walked towards Dannie’s school. I knew she did it to boast me to other women who were looking, but the brightness of her expression when our eyes met shook my world. The warmth of her arms on mine, and when I held her hand, it was such a warm feeling.

But this emotion, this couldn’t be revealed. If she knew about what I feel, then she might feel awkward, worse, she’ll feel like I’m trying to play with her. We agreed not to fall in love with each other, so I can’t. I need to keep this in.

As we step inside the unit, my phone rang. It was a call from a senior doctor who wants to meet me at the lobby since he has to tell me something, even asks me to have some coffee with him.

“I’ll be at the lobby for a while. Now, just fix yourselves while I’m away. This will be quick.” I tell Rae In and she nods.

“Come back quickly.” She utters and I am surprised how simple and short reminders like this suddenly warm my heart. I’m not usually sentimental, am I?

“I will.” I say. Maybe, it’s just a part of a show since Dannie is there, so of course, she needs to act like a wife in front of the child.

It took me almost an hour before I could go back to the unit. The senior had a lot to say, and even shared unimportant things that I think I should not be concerned about anymore. But anyways, old professionals are like this, they always want to meet with younger ones to boast everything they’ve got and they’ve achieved so far. It’s their happiness so… fine. After all, that sunbae had taught me a lot of things while I was training under him just few years back.

Dannie is walking out of our room when I come back. “Hi, babe. You look beautiful.” I greet to which she smiled. Her hair is tied in a ponytail at the back and there’s a small silver pin on it. She’s wearing a very light make up and a pink lipgloss that makes her lips shine. “Did mommy help you with it?”

“Yes.” She answers brightly. “I’m going to wear my dress now, daddy.” She tells me and I nod.

Proceeding inside our room, Rae In is there at her makeup table fixing her small silver bag. She is still in her shorts and white shirt but has already taken a bath.

What I notice next is her dress that is neatly placed on the bed, then, beside it was one of my suits, light pink long sleeves and a baby blue-colored necktie.

“Oh. Are you taking a bath now?” She asks as soon as she sees me then smiles awkwardly when she notices that I’m staring at the clothes on the bed. “Ah… yeah, I just thought you’ll be downstairs for too long so I took out something that you could wear, but since it’s still early then don’t mind it. Choose what you think will be the best for you.” She shrugs and talks as if it’s nothing if I don’t wear the clothes she chooses for me. Is it really okay not to wear those?

“The long sleeves match the color of Dannie’s pink dress. I’ll wear them. Thank you.” Hiding the smile on my face, I quickly walk towards the bathroom to start taking a bath.

She has left the room when I go out after taking a bath. Immediately, I wear the clothes she prepared for me, pairing it with a silver watch on my left wrist.

I’m fixing myself when I hear the knock on the door. “Taemin-ah, are you done? Can I come in?”

“Sure” I answer.

There she is, entering the room wearing her black dress. She has her hair in an updo with some curly strands of hair falling just on the side of her face, and like the small silver pin that was on Dannie’s hair, she has it, too. Her makeup is light, almost like the child’s. She used the same lipgloss, and honestly, she looks like Dannie’s mom for real, as if she is her biological mother.

You want to hear something cheesy?

She looks exactly like the wife I want to boast to everyone.

“I’m ready!” Suddenly, Dannie enters the room wearing her pink dress cheerfully.

“Wow. You look so wonderful! Come on, give daddy a hug!” I say and welcome Dannie into a tight hug. I hear her giggle, and notices how we wear the same color of clothes. She’s happy.

Now, thank you for your presence, Dannie.

“And now for my beautiful wife.” I stand up and face her. She looks at me, eyes blinking several times as if she’s surprised at the remark I just give her. She’s fascinating like this. It’s like she finds compliments from me so unwelcoming.

As she is standing there motionlessly, I approach her and wrap my arms around her to pull her closer. Her eyes grow wide, but she couldn’t complain or ask why because Dannie is there, and it looks like she’s happy seeing the scene in front of her. Kids like it when they see their parents being sweet towards each other.

“The dress suits you well. You look gorgeously beautiful.” I say, lean closer and plant a soft kiss on her cheek. I feel her shiver in my arms. It feels good. “Now, are we good to go?” I say and finally release her. However, I can see it’s having an effect on her. I just hope I see it right.

We arrive at the venue exactly 6pm. It is about to start. I notice some changes with her. She seems more tamed, more like a lady she should always be. She looks far from the sharp mouthed Rae In I used to have with every day. She is holding Dannie’s hand on the other side, so I hold her other hand and we walk together inside.

Who always catches the people’s attention is the most unfamiliar face in the crowd, and I know the guys in this company. As soon as we enter, I spot these guys and bunch of doctors spotting on my wife. So I pull her closer and wrap an arm around her waist, boasting her to everyone.

My friends, who haven’t seen her, have their eyes growing wide. They are surprised and I wink at them to confirm that this woman over here… is mine.

But for some weird reason, I start to feel a bit uncomfortable with all the stares she is getting from the guys. It makes me feel irritated. I look at her, and she’s smiling so sweet while talking to Dannie who seems to be interested with a lot of things.

“Are you having fun?” I ask her to which she looks at me weirdly. “Those guys are looking at you. A lot of them are so interested to talk to you, maybe.”

“What?” She asks cluelessly.

“Your dress looks so short, Rae In. You expose a lot of skin.” I say, take off my coat and hang it around her shoulders. I think it’s because of her dress that every guy around here is looking at her.

“What? But you chose this.” She looks so confused at that moment, but I’m so confused at how irritating it is to have someone else look at her.

“Wow. Look at you!” Someone speaks behind us and I turn my head on the person annoyingly.

Good thing it’s only Kibum with the other three. They come to greet Dannie and Rae In, and the child is too happy to see her uncles again.

“You look different, Rae In-ssi.” Jinki hyung says and smiles. “Different, I mean in a positive way, okay?” Rae In smiles and nods. Why is it that she accepts praises from these people so easily but I feel like she doesn’t believe me when I say words of praises with my own mouth?

“You should go around and meet some guests, too. Get to know your husband’s world.” Minho hyung encourages.

“I’ll let them meet my wife and my child later… with me.” I say, claiming what’s mine.