The Agreement

Running Out of Reasons

I bit my lower lip hard - secretly wishing I can still take back what I said. I am just so desperate and scared that he will actually take Dannie. No way. No way. No way. Dannie is mine. Oh, seriously, why must I gamble with Lee Taemin?

He smirks mockingly and then lets out a loud laugh. I frown. Now, he’s making fun of me?! This is not really how I want to see him again. I purse my lips and turn my back against him. I am not gonna talk to him anymore.

“Hey, wait.” He calls back and even holds me in my elbow. I look at his hand and brush it away. He kept it back to himself and shrugs his shoulders. “I’m sorry I laughed. It just came out funnily. A while ago you were arguing with me and then suddenly you made a marriage proposal.” He chuckles again.

“Go to hell.” I hiss.

“Go to hell or you mean go to the admin office to talk to them about Dannie?” He smiles, and really doesn’t want to let me go. “I thought you were serious about your proposal. I’m in.”

“You’re joking.” I am both surprised and in awe. I literally ask him to marry me and now he is almost giving me a positive response. He’s in? You mean he agrees to marry me? Where on hell did his brain go?

“Were you just joking about marrying me?”

“Hell, forget it.” I say wanting to brush him off, but such filthy guy won’t just stop.

“I am the only one who can help you right now. Marry me and you’ll have Dannie with you right away.” He says as if he is really pushing me to do it. I look at him with uncertainty and then he tilts his head to the side, “But of course, there’s gonna be one condition since it appears now that you’re actually the one asking me a favour.”

“You’re kidding me. You want to adopt Dannie, too.” I reply with a cold expression and he nods in confirmation.

“Well, yes, but it’s no big deal if I don’t get her though. After all, I only feel sympathetic as I say, it’s not like I have huge responsibility over her as you do.” He says as he flips his fringe to the side. That hairflip is disgusting.

“So what’s the condition?” I don’t know if I’m really interested, or I’m just curious about what was going on in his mind.

“I’ll let you marry me, use my name, and adopt Dannie with me as the other parent, but in return, you need to guard me off from all the women out there who were interested in me.”

“What? Are you joking?” My eyebrow automatically raises again upon hearing the funniest joke I’ve heard for this day. He wants me to what? Guard him against all those women? “How many women are we talking about here?” I say in a funny and sarcastic way, as if I’m not believing him. Heck, why does he want me do the work? Is he serious?

“Not that I can be sure about that.” He shrugs his shoulders and chuckles slightly. “Women these days… they tend to expect a lot. I always thought it was clear to them that I’m only up to some fun. I’m not the type to take risk on getting into serious relationship… and these girls, they go after me as if I have huge responsibility over them.”

See how stupid and selfish this guy is? He only knows how to play, but then gets out of the relationship whenever it becomes serious. “So you’re going to use me to get away from these girls?”

“Your term doesn’t sound really nice but technically, yes.” He nods and crosses his arms towards him. “I’m telling you it’s serious, and you’ll know why I have to do this once you agree to this deal you see these women yourself.”

“You can just tell me to leave you alone. Simple as that.”

“You don’t understand.” He looks away and sighs as if being the ladies’ man is the most painful and difficult thing he has ever encountered in his life. He acts as if he is the victim. Like seriously, how could he? “So? What do you think?”

Just before I can get to say so, Dannie comes in running towards us. “Auntie, I also took this juice for you.” She says while handling out a packet of orange juice for me. I smile and take it. This little girl makes me want to do all the impossible things just to get her, and of course, as promise to my most beloved friend, Dan Mi. “Are you leaving so soon, auntie? When are you going to take me out of here?”

Sigh. It really pains my heart to hear this words coming out of here. I know how much she wants to leave this orphanage. I know, somehow, how she wants to start living with me. I look at Taemin. He looks back as if waiting for a reply.

Oh by the way, I am Song Rae In, the girl who decides as fast as she talks. “Call.” I think my mouth always functions faster than my brain. See? I let out another word I am not even sure of.

As if marriage is just a game that can be played where you can easily quit once you feel sick of doing so, I agree without further thinking. Lee Taemin looks at me. “One more thing. You can’t fall in love with me, coz we need to end this a year later.”

Oh, I am not aware marriage is some kind of product for Lee Taemin. It has an expiration date. Wow, he never fails to amuse me every single time. But again, how narcissistic of him to actually think I’m gonna fall for him?

“Cool. But you can’t fall for me, too.” I smile sarcastically at him in which he nods – like he is really sure there’s no way he can fall in love with me. As a woman with pride, it kind of hurts, you know.

“Auntie? What are you, two, talking about?” Dannie buts in as she looks from me to him and then back to me. She is curious.

“Dannie-ah…” Taemin calls and reaches for her hands pulling her over. “Do you know Dr. Lee has a girlfriend?”

“You do?” She asks with eyes bigger than usual.

“Yes.” He says with a smile and then looks up at me. I’m shocked, but as Dannie looks up at me, I immediately smiled concealing my disbelief.

“Auntie? You’re Dr. Lee’s girlfriend?” Her face lights up as if she is really excited over hearing the news. I smile but I think it come out a bit awkwardly. I am his… what?

“Ah -.” Still, I am speechless. “Well, uhm, you can call it that way… I guess.” I say with uncertainty.

“You said auntie needs to marry someone in order to get you, right? Actually, auntie and I plan to get married next year, but because she wants to badly get you, I guess I need to marry her right away.”

He stands up, automatically putting on a show for Dannie and everybody else to see. “Let’s go see the administrator and ask about the procedure to get Dannie.” Without warning, he wraps an arm around my waist and looks back at Dannie. “Can you stay here for a while, we’re just going to talk to the head?” She nods willingly and smiles as she sits back on the swing – telling us she’ll patiently wait there. Taemin nods, and walks with his arm still behind me.

“Aren’t you going too far?” I whisper as we are very close already.

“At this point, you are my girlfriend and in few days, we’re going to get married. What’s so far about holding my girlfriend?” He smiles playfully towards me and looks away as he gets his focus to our way towards the office.

As we walk, I notice his colleagues’ attentions fixing on us. I look at Taemin awkwardly and the bastard smiles as if he was proud of what he is doing. I bit my lower lip. Such an embarrassment.

“Hey, Dr. Taemin. What is this all about?” One doctor walks along our way and looks at me to smile genuinely as a greeting.

“He’s Dr. Lee Jinki.” He introduces. “He’s a Psychiatrist, and honestly, he’s the type to always need to seek the help of himself. You know.”

“Hey, hey, hey, I’m still your sunbae. How dare you talk about me like that?” He punches Taemin lightly and smiles at me.

“She’s Song Rae In. The one I’m going to marry.” I automatically look at him in surprise and he laughs again and hits the other man’s shoulder as Dr. Jinki looked at him in such a weird expression – as if he isn’t believing what Taemin just said. “It’s true.”

“Just last night, you were with the other girl, how could you-“ Taemin shuts his mouth by covering it with his palm.

“Hey, we’re done arguing about that, now don’t get me into trouble again!” He says offensively and even holds me closer to him. Wow. We are so sweet. I want to puke. “Let’s go, babe.”

Oh, babe, how dare you call me babe? How dare you?!

I am not prepared of everything that is going to happen from this point. Okay fine. This is okay for now. I am just going to endure him for a year just to officially get Dannie. After that, he can leave us alone and I won’t have to deal with him anymore. All I need to do is act as his precious oh so loving girlfriend and soon to be wife in front of everybody and when there’s only the two of us alone, then I can start blabbing how much I hate him again.

Ugh, I will never like this guy, but still… I’m somehow grateful, my problem about Dannie is almost solved. 


Ihartjinki's:

Hi guys, do drop some comments! :) thanks.