This is our Fight

Running Out of Reasons

(Rae In)

“Over my dead body!” I stand up in panic and put myself on defensive mode. What did he just say? He wants me? Has he gone crazy?!

“Hey, hey, hey, chill. I’m not taking you yet.” He lets out his most annoying laugh and motions me to sit down. No way.  “Now sit.”

“I’m leaving.” I say firmly. Seriously, I don’t have plans on staying anymore. I take my bag and just about to leave when he speaks again, making me unable to go.

“You have no idea what else I gathered in my hand, Song Rae In. I came here prepared.” He threatens and I don’t know what to do anymore. What is it this time? Why is he making this kind of creepy research and since when did he become our stalker? “Sit down.”

As much as I don’t want to, I figure out I have no choice but to follow – to sit back, just because I don’t know what else he has in his hands. Ugh, I feel like being held hostage.

“Seriously, you are not doing this to me.” I say, trying to hide the fright I’m feeling at the moment. “I am not going with you, Lee Youngjin.”

He shakes his head and smiles a bit slightly – it’s rather a smirk. “It’s disappointing that you didn’t even think about it for long. You just answered right away.” He looks at me, makes a weird sad expression (which doesn’t suit him, by the way) before speaking again. “Do you really dislike me that much, darling?” I roll my eyes and he sighs. Resting himself against his seat, he crosses his arms still staring at me. “How can a woman like you be such a naïve? I have displayed a lot of times how much I’m interested to you, but you just seemingly brushed those hints off – dumping me unconsciously.”

“I don’t understand you at all.”

“You don’t need to understand every bit of it.” He answers, “All you need to know is that I want you to be mine. After my brother’s death, I planned to go here and get the child. I was already thinking you’ll adopt her and if I go in the picture, then I might be able to engage myself to you.” Youngjin laughs after that. A mocking laugh as if he is implying something that makes him irritated. “Then when I came here, the news I heard was about you going abroad for some sort of a honeymoon with your husband? That’s funny. You are not supposed to marry anyone – but me.”

What the hell? He likes me? Oh no, wait, he wants me? I don’t know if I will find this funny or creepy – like what in the world is he talking about? And besides, what’s with his way of talking? It’s not like I’m some material possession that he can have any time. Really, this is making me annoyed and scared at the same time.

“Ah, seriously, it’s getting more interesting.” He speaks as he looks at the entrance. I follow his gaze only to find out that Taemin has arrived and is going towards our table now. Wait, what is he doing here?

Our eyes meet and he only smiles at me. Again, his mind becomes unreadable. I don’t know what he’s thinking. I’m not sure if he’s mad that he sees me here with this guy, or he’s worried, or what.

“Hi.” He goes forward to Youngjin and lends his hand. The other guy is a bit surprised, but he reaches out for a handshake anyways. “It’s nice to see you again.” He grabs a chair and pulls it next to me, he’s smiling, but he looks so… idk. I have to trust him.

Actually, I suddenly stop worrying and panicking the moment he comes in. I guess it’s because from this moment, I don’t have to face Lee Youngjin alone.

“You know what... I don’t like this game. Why don’t you stop pretending that you like me and just be yourself?” Youngjin smiles at Taemin as if what he said is nothing but pure kindness. Taemin frowns at first and then he loosens up with a smile again.

“Good for me, too.” He speaks. “I just want to draw a line from here…” he motions his finger across the table, drawing an imaginary line that divides Youngjin’s side and our side. “…to here. What’s on your side is yours, what’s on my side is mine. I don’t share Mr. Lee Young Jin, and if I could be frank, I’m not okay with you hanging around my wife so much.”

“You do have some guts, kid.” Youngjin says and I place my hand on Taemin’s thigh, pressing it a bit. I want him to protect me, but I don’t want him to get into a fight – not with anyone. “What do you think, Rae In? Will it be fine to spill the beans?” He looks at me this time. He wants Taemin to know that he’s aware of the fake marriage.

“What is he talking about?” Taemin looks at me. Confused. I don’t know how to start it. I don’t know how to say it. “What? Don’t get me too puzzled.” He whispers and now he sounds really annoyed.

“He…” I am hesitant to say it, but I know I should. “He knows about the fake marriage.” Taemin’s expression change. It’s obvious that he’s surprised, and by the way he looks now, I know he secretly starts to panic, too. “…and he wants to take Dannie.”

“What?” Taemin abruptly throws a look at Youngjin who is currently smirking at us as I relay everything he just said a while ago to me. He shrugs his shoulders in response.

“You haven’t said everything, Rae In.” Young Jin utters. “You forgot about the part that I want you to go with me.”

“You are one ed up guy.” Right after hearing him, Taemin cusses and stands up. He’s still firm and steady but it’s obvious that he’s really mad. I don’t like it when he’s like this, then he grabs my hand and pulls me up. “Let’s go, and you, don’t ever try seeing her again.”

It feels like he’s dragging me instead of leading me out of the shop. I stare at the way he’s holding my hand. It’s tight as if someone is about to take me away and he’s afraid of losing me. He’s silent until we reach his car.

“For heaven’s sake, Song Rae In, why don’t you ever listen to me?!” He bursts out inside the car and I can only look down. I promised him I won’t talk to that guy, but then he just found me talking to him. I failed him again.

I stay silent. Instead of explaining, instead of apologizing, instead of caring so much about his anger, I rather care about the relationship. The family that we just started forming. I see Dannie’s smile in my head. The joy the two of us bring to her is something she always holds on to. And the love I found with Taemin, I don’t want to lose it. I don’t want to leave him. Meeting him, and staying beside him are just some of the best things that happened to me. I am so scared to even think that Lee Youngjin, in just one snap of a finger, can ruin all the happiness and the future we have established.

“Rae In.” I stop thinking about all of these when I felt his hand holding mine. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have shouted at you.”

Without me realizing it, my tears fall. I guess that’s how scared and frightened I am.

“Sshh, babe, I’m sorry.” He speaks fast and worries are all over his face. He pulls me to him and hugs me tight. “I’m sorry I shouted at you. I was just… I don’t know what I’ll do if ever he tries to ruin my family. You said he knew about the fake marriage, and then I know very much that he likes you. He has everything in his hands to take you away, and from that moment, I don’t know how to fight back. I’m so scared. And for Dannie, too, I don’t want him to get her. She’s ours. She’s our little angel and you promised her mom you’ll take care of her. The only people she has right now are us.”

“Taemin-ah, please tell me you’re not gonna give up on us.”

“Why would I?” Taemin chuckles and kisses my forehead. “I am going to keep you safe beside me, okay? He’s never going to take anyone of you. Trust me.”

I trust him.

“We might be able to get into trouble because for sure he will report this to the orphanage. We might be questioned, but our intentions in adopting Dannie is clean and genuine. They will believe us. Whatever happens, I will make sure that everything’s going to be alright, as long as you love me.”

I break out into laugh when he mentions about loving him. I just love how he can calm me down. All my worries are gone now that I’m with him.

And now I know that this fight, is our fight. We will not back down from whatever threats Lee Youngjin is giving us. The other information he knows that he thinks may ruin our relationship, I don’t care about it anymore. As long as I’m with Taemin, and as long as we love Dannie and we protect her together, we are going to face every challenges and surpass them.

“Now, you little girl…” He pinches my cheek and rubs my nose against his. “Stop making me feel so jealous every time I see you talk to some other guy.”

“I’m not making you jealous. I didn’t even do anything that will make you feel like I’m cheating!” I defend myself, which is just true although he shakes his head.

“I’m just always jealous of those guys talking to you.”

“Possessive.” I whisper and plant a soft kiss on his lips. I back away only to be pulled once again for a more aggressive kiss.