=7=

My Dear Twin

“Good enough!” Selina let out a long stretch and got up. “Time for lunch!”

As she headed out she recognized Aaron standing by the desk. For some reason she always spotted him there.

“Hi!” Selina greeted walking over.

“Hi,” he modestly replied.

“What are you doing?” Selina questioned.

“I’m looking for a list of numbers,” Aaron answered, “are you going out?”

“For lunch,” Selina replied then paused, “do you want to come along?”

Aaron was silent for a moment as he debated to himself whether he wanted to go or not.

“Is it ok?” he asked.

“It’s only me today. My friend isn’t coming along,” Selina told.

“Alright then, but just wait a moment,” Aaron told then turned around to the lady sitting behind the desk.

A while later they found themselves sitting inside a small fast food restaurant with bowls of salad sitting in front of them.

“How come you never told me?” Selina asked. “That you own the company?”

“You found out?” Aaron asked twirling his fork in the lettuce.

“I asked my boss about you today,” Selina said.

“You asked him about me?” Aaron asked surprised that Selina was that curious about him.

“He’s a real talkative guy so he knows about everyone,” Selina replied, “but wow, you never told me. Did you think I was going to stop talking to you? Or talk to you formally? I can’t imagine myself being boss.”

Aaron smiled and turned to look down at his salad. As they headed back to the company Selina turned to Aaron before walking off.

“You have to bring me upstairs sometimes. I want to see how it is up there,” Selina told then walked off.

After searching through the net for some cheap clothes Selina made her way home, but stopped outside for a moment. She had almost forgotten about the dinner she’d promised to have with Jiro.

Selina stared up at the golden sign that marked the name of the restaurant. Even if she couldn’t read the name from the look of it Selina could tell that they served French cuisine. Selina frowned wondering how expensive it would cost to have dinner there. Opening the door slowly she walked in to be welcomed by people standing at the door. Selina nodded toward them and looked around. Spotting Jiro was easy because his hair was the strangest out of everyone else who seemed to be dining there that night. Selina walked over and took a seat.

“You’re here,” Jiro greeted, “I already ordered for you so I hope you don’t mind.”

“No problem,” Selina said glancing around, “I don’t usually come to places like these.”

Jiro smiled, “But it’s nice isn’t it?”

“I didn’t think you’d be the kind of people to come here,” Selina spoke.

“Do I look poor?” Jiro asked.

“However you want to take it, but I never said that,” Selina told.

A waiter dressed in a white shirt with black pants walked over with two plates of steak decorated with some greens. After he left someone walked over to pour wine into both their glasses. Selina stared after him as he walked away.

“It tastes good, why don’t you give it a try?” Jiro urged.

Selina stared back at him, “Did you put something in there?”

He laughed at her, “I still take my place as a cop, harming someone is out of my way.”

Selina reached for her glass and took a sip then placed it back on the table calmly. Meeting Jiro there felt absurd. Why had he invited her to such a high class restaurant?

“So what did you want to know?” Selina asked. “You said there was a reason why you wanted to meet.”

“Jasmine’s blood was found on Derek’s special belt. That guy also confessed to having kept her dead body in the hut for a month until the smell began to get so bad that it was spreading through the woods. That’s when he decided to throw her body by the highway,”
Jiro told. “And before he killed her they were arguing about Jasmine seeing that guy she used to like, but the part that angered Derek the most was when Jasmine didn’t want to get any more money for him. He also told the police that when Jasmine often disappeared with him she went to accompany him at the hut to smoke and do drugs.”

“That’s not surprising,” Selina told.

“What I want to know is,” Jiro said leaning forward a bit, “how did you know the way there? And how did you know to keep questioning the family? I would have stopped with police reports.”

“The hut?” Selina asked. “I had a dream and would you believe me if I said it feels like there’s someone who’s always silently with me?”

Jiro raised his eyebrow and Selina smiled, which captivated him.

“It’s instinct that they weren’t telling the truth. If you think about it who tells the police the truth,” Selina told, “you’re a cop yourself and you go out of your way to solve someone else’s problem, but I think you should really consider the view of others first.”

“Ok,” Jiro said, “that answers my question.”

Selina tried to cut her piece of steak after they finished talking, however, it wasn’t as easy as she had imagined. She could hear Jiro chuckle at her and she looked up from her plate.

“Here,” Jiro said handing her his plate of cut up steak.

Selina remained silent as they traded plates.

“They’ve begun rebuilding your house,” Jiro told, “do you consider moving back there?”

“I already found a new place,” Selina replied then took a bite of the steak, “it’s good!”

After the meal Selina and Jiro headed out together.

“Do you want a ride?” Jiro asked.

“I think I can make it back,” Selina told.

“You think?” Jiro repeated. “You like rejecting my offers don’t you? Isn’t my car better than the taxis? Free gas.”

Selina glanced up at Jiro. Did he have an intention for asking her out? A minute later she found herself sitting silently in his car as he drove her to Hebe’s house.

“You work at Prescon right?” Jiro questioned before Selina got out.

“You know where it is?” Selina asked.

“I’ll bring you the reports tomorrow,” Jiro told.

Selina thanked him and got off. After watching the car drive away she headed into Hebe’s house to find that Hebe had been watching her from through the window. Her arms were crossed over her chest.

“Another guy?” Hebe asked.

“He’s the cop that went with me to Taoyuan,” Selina replied.

“Then who’s the other guy?” asked Hebe.

“My boss,” Selina told.

“A cop and your boss?” Hebe asked. “You’re becoming a flirt.”

===

Jiro stared at Selina through his rearview mirror. What was wrong with him? Had he just tried to impress her? Jiro laughed at himself and stepped on the accelerator. Selina was a real smart person and he couldn’t imagine such a girl taking on such a scary job, maybe the fact that she was different was what drew him to her.

===

Aaron had gone downstairs to retrieve the list of numbers he’d been looking for. He couldn’t help, but turn as the doors opened and a man dressed in a t-shirt with a white jacket came walking in. His peculiar hair caught Aaron’s eye at first.

Aaron watched as he made his way over to the journalism office where Selina worked in. The man stood by the doorway and a second later Aaron recognized Selina walking toward him. She had a smile on her face as she saw the folder he had brought for her. Her smile was different and Aaron wondered if Selina smiled at everyone differently and if her smiles held different meanings behind them. Aaron watched as the man turned around and walked out. Who was he? Was he a friend of Selina’s?

===

“What are those?” her boss asked walking over.

“The reports the police has gathered personally,” Selina replied, “I’m receiving some more currently dated ones tomorrow.”

“Is that so?” her boss asked. “Who?”

“The cop that went to Taoyuan with me,” Selina replied.

Her boss narrowed his eyes and nodded.

“Oh yea, if I’m not here tomorrow and he comes to drop them off you take them for me,” Selina ordered.

“And where are you off to?” her boss asked.

“I’m going to visit the farm,” Selina replied, “I read something interesting about it last night.”