=14=

My Dear Twin

Selina awoke with a jolt. She was panting heavily while she looked around the room to make sure she was still in Hebe’s house. The TV ahead of her assured her that she was not running through the woods. Selina reached her hand up to her forehead to find beads of sweat.

“This is crazy,” Selina mumbled and sat up.

Her cell phone began to ring loudly on the coffee table causing Selina to jump. She made a face and patted her chest to assure herself that nothing was wrong and there would be no one trying to kill her. It was just a dream…a dream.

“Selina?” Selina immediately recognized the voice and her heart thumped. “How are you?”

“Bored recently,” Selina replied.

“Sorry I haven’t called. I was thinking maybe you should get some proper rest first,” Aaron told.

“Are you at Prescon?” Selina questioned.

“I just got in my car,” Aaron told, “where are you?”

Selina looked around the house as if someone would be in there with her.

“At my friend’s house,” Selina replied, “I’ve been staying with her this past week.”

“I’ve been there before right?” Aaron asked.

“Uh…yea,” Selina said. “But why are you coming?”

“I want a small break,” Aaron told, “I think you want some air too.”

“You just read my mind,” Selina said.

“I’ll call you when I get there,” Aaron told then hung up.

Selina was speechless for a minute after his phone call. So he did actually mean what he had said! Selina got up from the couch hurrying to find something nice to wear. Where would he take her? Dinner? A walk at the park?

Selina found herself staring out the window watching for Aaron’s car. A smile erupted on her face as his car stopped in front of Hebe’s house. Calming herself down Selina opened the door as Aaron headed up the walk.

“Hey,” he greeted.

Selina smiled in reply.

“Lets go,” he told.

“Wait…where?” Selina questioned.

Aaron smiled mischievously, “You’ll find out.”

After the car started off Selina stole a glance at Aaron.

“Have you been busy lately?” Selina asked.

“Not really,” Aaron replied, “attending business meetings and there’s been a conference about the new layout of our paper.”

“A new layout? I wonder how that’ll turn out,” Selina said.

“Probably won’t be too amazing but at least we’ll get rid of the old one,” Aaron told.

When the car came to a stop Aaron helped Selina out from her side.

“Is your foot feeling better?” Aaron asked worriedly. “Maybe I shouldn’t have brought you here.”

Selina turned away from Aaron to take a look at the amusement park. Her eyes lit up in surprise, but she felt excited at the same time. She hadn’t had time to come to such a fun place ever since she’d kept herself busy with solving murder cases.

“This is great!” Selina shouted. “This is just the right excitement. Lets go!”

“Are you sure you’ll be ok? There’ll be fast rides,” Aaron doubted.

Selina frowned at him, “That’s not going to stop me. Even if my ankle is broken I’m not going to let myself be excluded from this fun.”

Aaron frowned at her and helped her toward the gates. After paying Selina and Aaron hurried inside along with the other people that were already enjoying themselves. Rides swung up in the air and roller coasters were running wildly. Screaming and laughter could be heard all around. Candy and game stands were placed in the middle of the walk and shops behind them along the sidewalk.

Selina’s eyes landed on the large wishing pool ahead of them. There was a spout that emerged in the middle of the water.

“If my ankle weren’t broken I’d run through that,” Selina told then turned to look at Aaron. “Do you like these kind of places?”

“It’s my first time,” Aaron told. “I saw an advertisement about the amusement park in front of Prescon.”

Selina’s mouth dropped open at him, “Wow! You must be serious! You’ve missed out on a lot then! Come on lets go get on the rides!”

Selina grabbed her crutch and they made their way through the crowd. They went on a roller coaster and after that ride Aaron didn’t want to go on anymore. However, Selina pulled him along with her onto a merry go round then they went on a boat ride. Selina screamed happily as the boat got higher and higher, but Aaron squeezed onto the bars afraid he’d fly off. After getting a snack to chew on Aaron chose a water ride and they ended up getting soaked with water the whole ride.

“There,” Selina said to herself after squeezing a bucket of water out of her shirt. “We should have just gone on the other rides scaredy cat.”

Aaron ignored her comment as he tried to dry himself. Selina finally turned to look at his drenched suit then laughed.

“I forgot you wore that,” Selina laughed, “you shouldn’t have worn that here.”

Aaron looked around to see people staring at him. He groaned as Selina made her way over. He felt his heart beat faster as Selina put her hand on his arm.

“There’s a shop over there,” Selina suggested, “you should go buy something new over there to wear.”

A few minutes later Aaron came out of the bathroom with a red shirt and jeans on. Selina tilted her head as she looked at him.

“You look a lot less formal with those on,” Selina commented.

Aaron smiled awkwardly and turned his head to look at something.

“Lets go on one last ride before we head back,” he said.

Selina followed after him as he led her down a path. They stopped behind a line of people and Selina stared up at the huge Ferris wheel. From what she recalled since young a Ferris wheel was the perfect ride for a couple. Selina slightly turned to look at Aaron.

The line shortened and Aaron and Selina were up next. Selina made her way into the little box and Aaron followed. After the people in charge of the ride closed the door Selina turned to look out of the window trying to ignore the burning feeling in her cheeks. They sat in silence for a moment.

“This is the only ride I’ve ever been on,” Aaron said breaking the silence. “I rode it with my mom before she passed away.”

“Your mom?” Selina repeated. “I rode this with my family back then and it was when we were still happy. I’ve learned that such times don’t last long.”

“Happiness is like a circle that runs once and if you don’t hold onto it it’ll fly away from you,” Aaron said, “right?”

Selina gave a loud shout, “But this isn’t time to be depressed. There’s still a lot more in store for life. When my ankle gets better I’m going to continue working nonstop.”

Aaron raised his eyebrow at her, “You’re a cheerful person aren’t you?”

“Not exactly. Xuan was the cheerful one, me on the other hand….am the tougher type,” Selina pointed out. “I guess she rubbed it off on me.”

Aaron chuckled. He could tell Selina was sad. If he were closer to her he’d give her a tight hug, but he wasn’t sure if she would be ok with it. Suddenly remembering something he reached inside his pocket to grab out something silver.

“I saw this in the shop,” Aaron told, “I thought it would look pretty on you.”

Selina glanced at the necklace with an angel on it.

“You bought it for me?” Selina asked.

As Selina hesitantly reached out her hand Aaron dropped the necklace onto her palm.

“I hope you like it,” he told.

Selina tried not to let her full mouth show in her smile. A necklace for her. Her heart thumped faster and faster.