=17=

My Dear Twin

“Evan! No! Stop it!” his father shouted.

Aaron stopped by the doorway and watched Evan toss his chair onto the ground breaking its leg off its body. Evan gave a loud scream and pushed Aaron’s table onto the ground.

“Evan!” Aaron shouted.  

Evan stopped puffing heavily as he stared at the mess on the ground. Aaron took a moment to look at the folders and papers scattered over his room. The family picture that Aaron had especially put in a frame was lying on the ground by the bed.

“Aaron,” his father said in a relieved tone.

“What has gotten into you?” Aaron questioned.

Evan bit his and turned to Aaron with furious eyes.

“I can’t believe you!” Evan screamed. “You’re the worst brother ever! How could you! How could you?!”

Evan rushed over to Aaron and grabbed the collars of his jacket shaking him violently.

“Evan!” his father screamed trying to pry Evan’s fingers off of Aaron.

Aaron stared at Evan without an expression on his face. Within a second Aaron pushed Evan off of him.

“What’s your problem?!” Aaron shouted. “What have I done to you? For all I remembered I paid for your medicine, your clothes, and made sure you had good food. What did I do? Tell me!”

Evan stared at Aaron. His face seemed to belong to that of a child as his furious eyes disappeared. Evan turned away and walked out of the room. From where they were standing they could hear Evan’s door slam shut. Aaron’s father breathed a sigh of relief.

“I was almost scared I’d have to call the doctor,” his father admitted.

“Are you alright? Did Evan hurt you?” Aaron asked grabbing his father’s shoulder gently.

“I’m fine, but Evan disappeared for a bit. He returned in an angry mood,” his father told. “Lock your door alright?”

Aaron nodded and watched as father walked out. After closing and locking his door Aaron sighed. He never understood Evan and he didn’t think he’d be able to understand him. Evan had been mentally ill since young and without medication his nerves would swell up and his mood would change. Evan became dangerous after the first night he’d tried to kill Aaron.

Aaron pulled his table up along with the chair. He bent down to gather the many sheets of paper that were lying on the ground. Once again he would have to spend the night organizing the files. When he made his way to his bed Aaron grabbed the family picture and put it on the bed table. His mother’s smile never failed to make him feel glad. Maybe that was why he loved to see Selina smile so much. Her smile never failed to make him feel good about himself.

===

Evan walked over to his table and out his cabinet roughly. Her picture lied in there with her smiling face staring up at him.

“Just you wait,” Evan muttered, “I’ll take you there.”

===

Selina didn’t hear from Aaron for a week. Guessing that maybe he was too busy attending to other matters it didn’t bother her that he didn’t call her. Selina returned to the hospital for her last checkup and as she had wished her ankle was all better. Four weeks of being handicapped was worse than she had imagined. With both shoes on her feet Selina decided to head toward the journalism office before heading home.

Walking through Prescon Selina was already feeling happy and delightful. She glanced into the office to see her boss and hurried in.

“I’m back!” Selina shouted.

“Selina!” he said happily.

Selina walked over to her desk.

“Have you heard anything new about my case?” Selina asked.

“What do you think?” asked her boss. “Nothing since you haven’t touched it yourself either. But since you’re back feel free to stay as long as you want.”

“I’m going to head back in a minute,” Selina replied.

After refreshing her memory about the case Selina was set with herself. Before heading out Selina stared up the stairs wondering if Aaron was asleep. Maybe she should buy some energy drinks for him. Turning around Selina hailed a taxi on her way back.

Staring out the streets Selina couldn’t help, but feel a cold chill at the back of her neck. It felt as if something scary were about to happen. Selina shrugged her shoulders telling herself not to be paranoid. The taxi stopped and Selina got out after paying.

She looked around a bit before heading forward. The sun was about to set and no one was outside. Why was everything so quiet? Why did it seem so spooky to her? Swallowing her saliva Selina took a step forward, but something grabbed her arm spinning her around. Selina stared up at Aaron.

“You gave me a fright!” Selina told.

“I did?” he asked.

Selina stared at him a bit as if lost. Her heart wasn’t beating as fast as always when Aaron was there. What was wrong with her? She stared up at him to find something amiss, but couldn’t exactly figure out what it was. Looking closely at him Selina could see a scar on the left side of his forehead.

“Am I too handsome?” he asked.

Even the way he talked didn’t sound like Aaron at all. Was it time to start feeling creeped out? Selina told herself she was still being over paranoid, however, she couldn’t disagree that something about Aaron was more than awkward. The way he was smiling at her and the way he kept his hold on her arm.

“What are you doing here?” Selina asked. “Weren’t you at Prescon?”

“I wanted to see you,” he said, “do you want to go on a date?”

“Date?” Selina repeated.

Aaron didn’t label them dates especially because they weren’t dating.

“Lets go. It’ll be really fun,” he told without waiting for her to answer.

He opened the door for her and waited for her to go in, but Selina didn’t. She stared at him for a second then got in the car. After the door closed Selina already felt trapped.

“This is going to take a while be patient with me ok?” he said.

Selina did not reply, but stared at her apartment building as it got farther and farther away. As the car entered the highway Aaron drove faster and faster. Selina couldn’t help, but feel fear start to climb onto her. She could tell something was wrong, but she didn’t think it was right to tell him right then.