=2=

My Dear Twin

"Hi, how can I help you?" he asked.

Selina got up and searched inside her bag for the folder her boss had given her and set the folder in front of him.

“I’m Selina Ren, an investigative reporter from Prescon,” Selina told.

He raised his eyebrow as if expecting something from her. Selina frowned at him.

“You are Wang Dong Cheng, aren’t you?” Selina pressed.    

“Call me Jiro. It makes things easier,” he told. “Is this about the homicide case?”

“Yes.”

“I made the call to your boss this morning,” he told. “I didn’t expect such a frail girl to take on this job.”

Selina turned her head slightly to eye him, “You’re saying.”

“Your house burnt down last night and you’re rushing to work already?” Jiro asked. “We were trying to reach you this morning, but your friend said you were out. There are some stuff back at your apartment that can still be used, that is if you still want them.”

“You were at the scene last night?” Selina asked.

Jiro just smiled and it made Selina feel angry for some reason. Why was he trying to change the subject when she only came for one thing? She could have gone home later and Hebe would have told her that the police tried reaching her. Selina stuffed the folder into her bag impatiently.

“Forget it. Seems like I’ll go myself,” Selina told beginning to turn around.

“You won’t make it pass security,” Jiro told.

Selina turned around and stomped her feet, “Then hurry up!”

The road to Taoyuan felt long and extremely torturing to her. Selina stared out the window, the only thing that helped her pass time were the green, green fields. It was the first time she’d sat in a cop car, though she found some things interesting but she didn’t show it. Jiro’s walkie talkie yapped every now and then and it irritated her the most. As they came to a stop Jiro glanced down at Selina’s feet.

“I heard you got burns on your feet,” he told.

“Well, that’s none of your business, don’t you think?” Selina snapped.

“Have you thought it over?” Jiro asked.

“The homicide?”

“The person that came out of your house,” Jiro told.

“Are you on neighborhood police watch or something?” Selina asked sounding sarcastic, but she actually meant it.

Jiro accelerated the car, “I live right next to you. I woke up after a loud car passed through the neighborhood and saw someone running down the stairs of your house. I thought maybe you invited your boyfriend over or something.”

Selina turned to look at him, her angriness suddenly gone.

“I couldn’t go to sleep so I woke up an hour after to see smoke coming out of your house,” he told. “Did someone break in without you knowing it?”

“I’m not careless enough to leave the door unlocked,” Selina repeated what she’d said last night.

She knew for sure she’d locked the door. She’d especially installed three other locks, how would someone manage to break pass them?

“How can someone break in?” Selina asked. “Are you sure your eyes saw right?”

Jiro shrugged, “You can go check for yourself or not, but police found your door unlocked this morning.”

Selina turned around to stare into the street. Why would someone want to break in? It wasn’t as if she had anything valuable enough to steal. And nothing she had was worth stealing.

“You’re an investigative reporter, so I believe you have enough wits to know what you did and didn’t do, but have you angered anyone?” Jiro continued with his questions.

“No, and if they’re angry because of me it’s their own fault,” Selina told. “Why are you worrying so much? Why are you questioning me like I’m someone suspicious? I wouldn’t set my house on fire on purpose in my whole life!”

Jiro seemed to ignore her loud voice blasting.

“Have you ever wondered if anyone might be after you?” asked Jiro.

“From young till now I know there are only three causes for someone to kill. That is money, love, and jealousy. I do not have either of those,” Selina explained.

“Makes sense then,” he told.

Selina began to feel uncomfortable not because of Jiro, but because of what he’d suggested. It was something that scared her that she didn’t want to be scared of. Was she going to be taunted by her sister’s killer? Had he tried to kill her? Was he emerging again? Or had the fire been foul play by some idiot?

The police car came to a stop at the highway that was marked by yellow police tape and stands that blocked the way. Selina got out of the car closing it after her. She could hear the loud waves splashing below the bridge they were currently standing on. The sun was burying itself beneath the horizon as late evening arrived. Selina zipped her sweater and looked around. Men were still moving about. Did it take long to gather evidence?

“Her body was found 5 feet from here. She had been beaten and strangled with some sort of item,” Jiro informed, “someone called the cops near midnight two days before. Her autopsy report came out this morning. She had been killed before her killer brought her here.”

Selina didn’t look at Jiro, but glanced up ahead. Not once in her life had she been near the place her sister had been killed, but there had been plenty of times where she’d stepped upon the fresh lands of murdered victims. Had there been this many cops back then investigating Xuan’s death?

“Selina?” Jiro called to her pulling her out from her estranged thoughts.

Selina swallowed, “Yea.”

Jiro walked into the scene and an officer turned around heading toward him.

“Wang Dong Cheng. I’m from Taipei,” Jiro greeted showing the officer his badge then nodded toward Selina, “she’s a reporter with me.”

“Come in,” he said. “The site’s been pretty much cleared up. We’re trying to gather any last details of evidence that can be found. The cops and investigators have done all they can. They’ve questioned everyone, family members including neighbors. We’ve been suspicious about the boyfriend, but they’ve all pointed out that he’d been so nice and caring toward their daughter they couldn’t believe he would have had the courage to kill her.”

Jiro and Selina listened attentively.

“Where exactly do her family members live?” Jiro asked. “What about the boyfriend?”

“Not too far from here. They live in a small worn down house,” the officer replied. “Are you planning to further the investigation?”

“Exactly what we’re here for,” Jiro replied.

“Then I’ll let you go now. I have other stuff to attend to,” the officer told walking away.

Selina watched as he gathered his men then turned back to Jiro, “So they’ve let the boyfriend off the hook?”

“Seems like it,” Jiro responded.

“What was his testimony to the police? What did he say? Can you find out?” Selina asked.

“I will, but we can’t find it tonight,” Jiro told. “It’s late and intruding upon the family would be disrespectful during their time of mourning.”

Selina glanced down the roadway. She was sure the boyfriend was the culprit. She didn’t want to walk away, but Jiro had already started toward the car.

Two hours later when they were back in Taipei Selina found something bothering her at the back of her head. She needed to go back to her burned down apartment. She wanted to see the unlocked door for herself and gather anything important that she could think of.

“Where are you staying? I’ll drop you off,” Jiro offered.

“No. You say you lived next to my apartment. Lets go there,” Selina replied.

Jiro glanced at Selina. He was beginning to wonder what went through her mind. She seemed unexplainable. Jiro stopped his car in his driveway and watched Selina head toward her house. Feeling anxious that something might happen he stood outside to keep an eye on her.

The door behind him opened and an old man stepped out.

“You’re home? What are you doing outside?” his father asked.

“I’m just making sure something doesn’t happen to her. I’ll be right in dad,”

===

Selina paused in front of the white door that used to protect her bravely from the winds outside. Grabbing the door knob she twisted it. There wasn't as much damage as she'd expected, but she could see light marks on the lock from outside. Leaving the door where it was against the wall Selina headed into the house. The floors were burnt and left over with black-brown ashy marks. Nothing had been taken, so had whoever it was that had broken into her home only wanted to kill her? Or possibly end her life? Selina turned around as a loud rush of wind slapped the door causing it to squeak. She calmed herself down telling herself that she was just being paranoid.

Her room had been the least damaged. She hurried in, went through her drawers to find her wallet and cell phone safe. She grabbed the thick scrapbook in the drawer. It was where she kept every successful report about crimes that have been solved successfully. She wished one day she would be able to read something about Xuan, that her killer had been found and punished for his evil deed. Something from the counter fell to the ground causing Selina to turn around. Heading out Selina found a framed photo on the ground. Selina turned to look around wondering if it had been placed there and she had missed it or had someone come in? She turned back to the picture. The picture wasn’t Xuan, but of herself. immediately went dry and Selina hurried down the long stairs that was built at the side of the house almost tripping over her own feet. As she landed on the ground she found herself toppling over.

“Ow,” she moaned to herself.

“Are you ok?” Jiro asked hurrying over.

Selina nodded as she got up. She quickly grabbed her things and looked around for the photo she’d found. Quickly taking it from the ground Selina paused for a bit. Something seemed to glitter from underneath the stairs. Was she seeing things?

“Selina?” Jiro called.

Selina ignored him and picked up an earring. It was the shape of a fierce looking 8 sided diamond. It must have fallen off the person who had broken in her home’s ear. Selina gripped it within her fist and turned around.

“You were standing outside all along right?” asked Selina.

“Yea…I was over there,” Jiro pointed out. “Did something happen?”

Selina let her eyes lay on him then turned away.

“Never mind.” She replied clutching the picture to herself along with the missing earring. “I’ll go back now.”

“Do you want a ride? It’ll be safer that way,” he told.

“No,” Selina replied and turned around to wait on the street for a taxi.

===

Jiro closed the door after him as he headed into the den to find his father reading a newspaper.

“There’s been a homicide,” his father told. “Are you on the case?”

“Yea,” Jiro replied sitting down. “My feet hurt.”

“What were you doing outside?” his father questioned.

“The girl, whose house burnt down last night, wanted to come see some things I guess,” Jiro told. “She’s an investigative reporter. Isn’t that interesting?”

His father laughed.

“It’s really a small world,” his father exclaimed. “She has another case now and she had one back then. Just looking at her all grown up makes me feel happy, but she must be sad as well.”

Jiro turned to his dad, “Do you know her?”

“Her twin was murdered 10 years ago,” his father said, “then her family split up. You were about 17 that time, you should remember. I feel really regretful that I wasn’t able to find any leading evidence that would bring us to her killer.”

“The twin case? Her body was found near a creek by a cabin?” Jiro said.

“I hope she’s found peace for herself now,” his father said. “Investigative reporter. She must be a really impressive person.”

===

“Don’t put it there!” Hebe screamed at Selina.

Selina stared at her picture. 15 years old…how young she was then.

“Selina do you hear me?!” Hebe shouted.

“I do, I do,” Selina replied then flipped the frame face down on the table near the sofa.

“I still don’t understand why you didn’t tell the cop anything! You should have told him what you found!” Hebe scolded. “He might be smart and start finding some clues to who burned down your house!”

“Who do you think he is? The same person that murdered Xuan?” Selina asked ignoring Hebe's frantic lecturing.

“Selina! Please give it up! You creep me out sometimes!” Hebe exclaimed. “You’ve been after it since you were 15! And you’ve found nothing! What if you really end up with  nothing?”

“I’ll find that person,” Selina said her voice flat and determined, “and when I do I want to ask that person why they wanted to kill me.”

“Selina…” Hebe moaned. “You’re so obsessed with this.”

“If I hadn’t asked her to go in my place so I could sneak out with you back then this wouldn’t have happened,” Selina covered her face. “Why? Why? Why? Those stupid love notes we used to pass around!”

“You make me scared for you,” Hebe said, “I don’t think we need to lose…you too.”

Selina glanced down at the earring she’d pulled out of the pocket of her sweater.

“I’m going to find the killer. I want to catch him with my own hands,” Selina muttered.

Selina hurried into Prescon Reports the next morning. There was one thing she needed and the only person who would be able to help her was there. Selina found her boss grabbing some doughnuts from the counter.

“Hi boss!” she shouted waving into his face.

“What are you doing?! Aren’t you supposed to be out?” he asked turning away from her and making his way into the office where all the desks were bunched together.

Selina followed him, “There’s something I need to ask you for.”

“What is it?” he asked sounding annoyed.

“I need a new apartment,” Selina told. “Please help find an affordable one for me. I remember you’re especially good with people.”

Her boss frowned at her, “Why would you need a new apartment?”

“Mine burned down,” Selina replied frankly.

“Oh it did?” he asked nodding as if it were old news then turned immediately to Selina. “It burned down?!”

Selina pushed him into his chair, “I need you to keep quiet about this.”

Selina turned to look around then turned back to her boss, “Someone burned down my house. I think it’s my sister’s killer.”

Her boss turned to her with round wide eyes.

“You should tell the police!” he told.

“No, I’m going to wait for him to show himself,” Selina said sure of herself, “I want to slam that person down with my hands.”