=6=

My Dear Twin

Aaron stared at Selina’s hardened face as she stared down at the papers, her smile was gone by now.

“Her killer was never found,” Selina finished, “I want to find her killer and who knows maybe I’ll scream at that person or hit that person.”

Selina turned to Aaron with a silly smile on her face now. It made him feel sad for her just imagining how she must have been lonely for a long time.

“And I will find that person because I’ve solved many other murder cases,” Selina told. “You believe in me don’t you? Ev…I mean Aaron.”

Aaron stared at her with that blank cold face of his. Immediately recalling her telling him that he looked better smiling Aaron tried it for the first time.

Selina let out a shout and clapped her hands once, “You smiled! You even look handsome!”

Aaron couldn’t help, but laugh at her. It was the first time in a long time he had felt carefree. They spent an hour reading the documents together and Selina even shared with him some of her stories about solving mysteries. Before turning the computer off Selina told him about the dream she’d had and how she’d figured out who Jasmine’s killer was. Aaron felt amazed with her, wondering to himself if she ever got scared.

It was an hour later when they headed out of Prescon together. Selina stopped by the street as he headed toward the lot. Aaron paused and turned around. Should he leave her alone there?

“Hey,” Aaron called out.

Selina turned to look at him surprised.

“Do you want a ride?” he asked.

“Is it ok?” Selina questioned.

5 minutes later she found herself sitting in his new car. They were silent  as Selina stared out the window.

“Did you just buy this? It seems expensive,” Selina commented as they came to a stop at the stop lights.

“My brother crashed my other car,” Aaron explained. “So where do you stay?”

“Just turn right here,” Selina pointed to the street around the corner. “I used to live over there, but someone burned down my house, so I’m staying with a friend right now.”

“Someone burned down your house?” Aaron asked.

“Someone broke in while I was sleeping or something,” Selina explained, “but it’s alright. I’m getting a new one again.”

“Aren’t you scared sometimes?” Aaron asked. “Staying alone, I mean.”

“I’m already alone so it doesn’t matter,” Selina replied, “it’s this house right here.”

Aaron parked the car in front of Hebe’s house. When Selina got out of the car and turned around she felt sort of shocked to see that Aaron had gotten out too.

“Why are you getting out?” she asked. “My friend should already be home. Thank you.”

“Is that so?” Aaron said. “I’ll see you again then.”

Selina smiled and waved at him.

After Aaron got back into his car he stared at Selina through his rearview mirror and smiled. It was nice talking to her and he figured it would be even nicer if they became friends or so. His life wouldn’t be so plain and full of Evan all the time.

===

Selina watched as Aaron’s car went down the street then opened Hebe’s door to find that Hebe had been watching her through the window.

“Who is he?” asked Hebe. “You’re dating someone now?”

“He’s not,” Selina replied shaking her shoes off, “he’s a high school classmate, and he even works in the same company. Isn’t that neat?”

“Neat? Sure,” Hebe let out a snort, “he’s sure attractive though. Were you going to invite him in?”

“Why?” Selina asked taking her bag off.

“Well why not? He did get out of the car,” Hebe pointed out.

Selina didn’t reply.

“What if he’s the one after you?” Hebe joked.

“You’re so funny I forgot to laugh,” Selina told grabbing her bag. “I already got a new apartment. I’ll be out from under your nose in a day or so.”

“You got an apartment? This fast?” Hebe asked.

“My boss is a good talker,” Selina told.

“Where are you staying?” asked Hebe. “Is it a secluded area?”

“Am I under probation?” asked Selina. “You make it sound like the cops are after me.”

“But what if something happens again?” asked Hebe.

“Nothing’s going to happen,” Selina told. “And if something does you’ll be the first person I call.”

After a hot shower Selina had gone to bed with Hebe sleeping next to her silently. Hebe's calm breathing told Selina that she, herself, wasn’t falling asleep. Selina to her stomach and opened her eyes into the darkness. Was it just her? Or did something about Evan, who was now Aaron, feel different? She had never liked Evan during her high school years, but he had changed so much. He was a much quieter and calmer person now and something about that made her heart beat faster. His dyed red hair accentuated his face and he seemed to glow. The way he looked at her shyly and the way he smiled awkwardly seemed cute. Selina bit her thumb. Did she like him? Impossible. In her whole 25 years of life she hadn’t liked anyone.

===

Aaron opened the door to see Evan sleeping in his bed quietly. Feeling relieved Aaron closed the door after him and made his way to his room making sure to lock the door after him and made his way to his bed. He could remember that one night when Evan had run into his room screaming like mad. Fear jumped into him as Evan locked his fingers around his neck in attempt to choke him. Just to make sure once more Aaron glanced at the door to see that it was locked.

Climbing into bed and covering himself with the blanket Aaron turned off the lamp beside his bed and stared into the darkness that welcomed his sleep. As he closed his eyes he could see Selina smiling at him.

===

Before heading off to work the next day Selina made a visit to look at her new apartment. The white building had two doors with one door leading to someone else’s place and the other door to her place. Green bushes stood outside underneath the window in front of the house as if guarding it. Pebble rocks surrounded the path that led up to the stairs and right next to the stairs was a large square window which was covered with blinds.

The door led to the kitchen which was filled with more than enough cupboards that Selina would need and plain green tiles decorated the walls. A fridge sat across from the double sink and a polished wooden table sat in the middle of the kitchen. There was a door which led to the den and another door, supposedly the back door, by one of the couch that had been left behind. Across from that sat the TV on a small shelf and to her right were two doors which led to the bathroom and the bedroom.

“There should be a sliding closet in your room,” the house keeper told, “and if you have any problems feel free to call me or you can come look for me. I stay in apartment number 211.

“Thank you,” Selina thanked as she walked into the bedroom.

A queen sized bed sat in the room with a drawer and a large mirror that sat on top of it. Selina pushed the doors to the closet open to look in. It was empty and very spacious. Selina felt that she would enjoy her stay there.

When Selina reached her office loud chattering welcomed her to a day of busy work. Going over to her desk she opened up the folder with the murder documents, her next assignment. She paused for a moment and recalled having talked to Aaron last night.

“You’re a bit late today,” her boss said coming over.

“Yes,” Selina replied running her fingers through her hair, “I went to check out the new apartment. It’s really nice, you know?”

Before her boss walked away something appeared in Selina’s head.

“Hey wait,” Selina called, “do you know someone named Aaron that works in here?”

“Aaron?” her boss repeated as he rubbed his chin. “He doesn’t work in any of the writing departments. Oh yes, that’s it.”

Selina stared at her boss.

“He’s the young boss that just took over the business,” her boss replied, “a young lad he is. I’ve only met him once and he doesn’t talk much, rather he just stared at me when I greeted him.”

“Really? Owns the business?” Selina asked.

“Why? What’s up?”

“Nothing.” Selina told turning away.

She recalled him telling her that he worked upstairs and tossed the thought away as she continued with the documents. Maybe she would worry about her personal life's curiosities later.

During mid afternoon when most of her co-workers had gone out for lunch Selina paused to summarize to herself everything she'd read so far. There were numerous documents and articles it would be hard to organize them.

The father had been killed in the house when the family had left to visit a sick grandma. However, a neighbor reported that they had seen the eldest son return home during the middle of the day. When the police had questioned the sick grandma and the family they had all said the eldest son had stayed with them the whole day. There was not a second that the son had gone out of sight.

Maybe someone who looked like the brother had gone to the farm house? But who was there that would look like him? Selina thought to herself and decided that the rest of the articles her boss thought were important were useless. She closed her folder and pushed it aside grabbing her phone. Maybe a phone call would help.

After a few rings a woman picked up, “Hi, how can I help you?”

“I was wondering if I could speak to Wang Dong Cheng?” Selina said as she tapped her pen on her desk.

“I’ll put you through. Please wait a minute,” the voice said.

Selina waited for what seemed like five minutes. During that time she spun around in her chair and opened up the internet.

“Wang Dong Cheng, how may I help you?” Jiro’s voice came through the receiver after a click.    

“Ah! Hey!” Selina exclaimed. “Do you mind helping me with something?”

“Who is this?” he asked.

“Selina, investigative reporter, remember?”

“Hi what’s up?”

“I was wondering if you could dig up some information for me,” Selina told. “It’s about a new murder case I’m looking into recently. About the Chang family, father was murdered in the house when the family had gone out to visit a sick grandmother. It was about five years ago…what do you think?”

“The Farm case?” Jiro repeated. “Ok, sure, why not? But you owe me something.”

“Ok, what do you want me to do?”

“Lets have dinner tonight."

“Dinner…why?”

“I have some things I’m curious about. It’s not that big of a deal is it?” Jiro asked.

“Fine, you pick the place.”

After hanging up Selina frowned to herself. Why would he trade dinner for some documents? He might as well have suggested coming along with her to look at the farm house.