=12=

My Dear Twin

===

Selina had to do something. It was like her legs were itching at her to get up and start walking somewhere which was impossible at the moment. Selina stared at the cast around her right feet and cursed at it silently. Selina cracked her neck and looked around. She was the only one left in the office. Selina stared down at the small print on the papers she’d been reading.

“Don’t you ever get headaches from that?” she heard Aaron’s voice in her head.

Selina smiled to herself and stretched out her arms then leaned back against the desk. Maybe she should contact the family and ask them if it was alright for her to visit them. That would probably get her somewhere, besides Selina was sure the family hadn’t told the police something they knew. It was always like that. No one was ever honest with the police. Selina had learned a lot from that when she had started her career. But how would she contact them? Selina thought for a bit. Their number wasn’t listed in the police reports…maybe she could contact Jiro in the morning. Selina decided on that and closed the folder then reached for her crutch.

Selina was locking the journalism door when she heard footsteps. She turned to find Aaron standing at the bottom of the stairs.

“You’re still here?” Selina asked.

“I didn’t know you came back,” Aaron told then looked behind Selina. “You’re the last one?”

“Yea,” Selina replied, “I’ll be going now. See you.”

“Wait,” Aaron called after her, “do you want a ride? I mean that is if you don’t have one.”

===

Hebe sat in her car fidgeting. She’d been sitting in her car in her driveway for the past hour. Worried and insecure thoughts flew to her. What if Selina somehow didn’t make it home? What if, what if? Hebe smacked her head. She had to go to Prescon. It was already late and Selina hadn’t come back to her house. Hebe drove out of her driveway.

Hebe got out of her car in a rush and stopped in front of Prescon’s doors. Were they closed already? She looked in through the glass windows to see that the lights were still on inside. Maybe there were still people in there. Hebe pulled open the door and walked in. Spotting the journalism office she walked to the door and found that it was locked. She tugged at it a few times, but found herself unlucky. Feeling her heart sink wondering if Selina would have already made her way back Hebe turned around. She paused as she saw someone in plan jeans and a long sleeved shirt come down the stairs. Something in her mind flashed back to her. The boss that had sent Selina back the other day!

“Excuse me!” Hebe shouted hurrying over.

The man stopped and gave her a weird look.

“You…do you know if Selina’s still in?” Hebe asked.

“Selina?” his eyes suddenly brightened up and he smiled. “Selina?”

“Uh…yea…” Hebe became unsure if she was speaking to the right person.

He seemed weird and gave her a scary vibe. He became silent as if drowning in his own thoughts.  

“Nevermind,” Hebe said then turned around and hurried out.

As she got in her car and locked the doors she thought to herself he somehow seemed familiar, but it didn’t come to her who he was. Neverminding it she made her way back home.

===

Aaron helped Selina open the door and held the door open for her as she hopped in.

“I thought you said your friend was home,” Aaron said looking around.

“Maybe she went out or something,” Selina replied. “Anyways thanks a lot.”

Aaron smiled at her and Selina felt her heart melt. He was so handsome.

“Your smile’s getting better,” Selina commented.

“I’m working on it,” Aaron told. “Bye bye.”

Selina waved at him and watched as he drove off then closed the door behind her. After making some macaroni and cheese in the kitchen the door opened and closed. As Selina sat down at the table Hebe walked in hurriedly.

“You’re home!” Hebe shouted. “Where were you?”

“Where were you?” Selina asked.

“I went to look for you at Prescon. I thought you’d be there when you didn’t give me a call. How’d you get back?” Hebe asked.

“In a car,” Selina replied.

Hebe stared at her and sat down.

“Whatever!” Hebe replied. “You get me so worried!”

“Why?” Selina asked feeling as if she would laugh.

“It feels like you’re going to kill yourself someday,” Hebe told. “I get so scared thinking out of how you got hurt and what if something happens to you and there isn’t anyone around?”

Selina gave a laugh.

“By the way I think I ran into your boss at Prescon,” Hebe replied, “he seems…scary somehow. When I mentioned your name he just kept on repeating it. Don’t you get scared around him?”

“Aaron?” Selina asked. “How’s that possible? He was with me. He can’t be in two places at once.”

“Really? How can that be?” Hebe asked frowning deeply.

“Maybe you met someone else who looks sort of like him,” Selina suggested.

“Maybe,” Hebe told, “besides I didn’t get a good look at him the other day. But you know what? He reminds me of someone I met a while ago I just can’t remember who.”

“Really? Well you’ve always had a poor memory,” Selina told. “You want some?”

“I don’t like cheese,” Hebe replied.

“Then why do you have them?”

“Because you bought a bunch of them the last time you stayed over you brain head.”

Selina laughed as she ate another big spoonful.

“Oh yes I’m going to make another visit to that farmhouse. Do you want to go with me?” Selina asked.

“No! Why would you want to go back?! I’m certainly not stepping near any scary places like that! I told you I don’t like visiting places where people have died before,” Hebe told.

“Well you never know. Maybe someone has died in this house before,” Selina said with a smirk.

Hebe gave her a slap across the shoulder. Selina gave a laughing shout.

“Tell that cop to go with you,” Hebe told. “Since he saved your life he can probably save you this time if you go.”

Selina frowned, “That guy’s annoying.”

“Annoying?”

“But helpful,” Selina told. “I’m guessing since the danger has been taken out of the house there shouldn’t be anything there anymore.”

“You’re really going to go?” Hebe asked. “How can I persuade you not to go?”

“You know me too well Hebe. I’m going to do it no matter what,” Selina replied. “I’ll come back in one piece and the plus is if I get in danger my crutch can be my weapon. This silver thing right here can be very helpful.”

===

The door slowly closed behind him without a sound. The house was very quiet. Aaron looked around. The rooms downstairs were not occupied, but empty. He walked into the kitchen to see no one in there. Aaron turned around and looked in the den to see that the TV screen had been left black. He searched all the other rooms that were on the first floor, but not even a maid seemed to be moving about. Had something happened? Aaron made his way upstairs moving his hand up the railing as he took each step.

His father was lying asleep in his bed. A book had been sitting beside him and the lamp beside his bed had been left on. Aaron walked into the quiet room to pull the blanket over his father to keep him warm. He seemed so old now, old and weary. Aaron grabbed the book and set it next to the lamp as he turned it off. Silently closing the door after him Aaron wondered if Evan had fallen asleep yet.

As he opened his door he found Evan mumbling to himself. He was talking very fast and Aaron couldn’t understand a word he was saying. However, Aaron stood silently at the doorway watching Evan crouch on the ground looking over some yearbooks and pictures he’d kept since his school years. Evan’s talking advanced in speed as he grabbed a picture frame. Aaron stepped in quietly to see what he was up to, but accidentally knocked over the garbage bucket Evan had kept by the door. Evan turned around surprised. His big eyes became small again as if his excitement had floated away somewhere.

“What are you doing?” Evan asked.

“I just came to check up on you,” Aaron replied, “are you ok? You seemed to be talking very fast to yourself.”

Evan smiled a little kid smile which Aaron recognized as the smile of a young naïve child.

“I’m fine,” Evan nodded, “I just found something I’d been searching for again today.”

Aaron glanced at Evan’s shoes that had been tossed by his closet.

“Did you go out?” Aaron questioned.

“Just for a bit,” Evan told, “I went to Prescon to look for you.”

“Prescon?” Aaron frowned. “Why?”

“I wanted you to play with me, but I guess I don’t want to play anymore,” Evan told as he gathered up his things so that Aaron wouldn’t see them.

They were exactly identical, but something about them differentiated them from being alike.

“Did you eat your medicine?” Aaron asked. “The doctor said you should remember to…”

“Eat them daily three times a day,” Evan finished. “I know.”

Aaron smiled then picked up the garbage that had fallen over.

“If I found a girl I like would you like her too?” asked Evan. “I mean not like like her, but like to get along with her.”

“Really?” Aaron asked amused. “You like someone? Since when? How come you never spoke to me about her?”

Evan giggled, “I’ve known her for a long, long time.”

Evan’s pupils became black then returned to normal again.

“Ok,” Aaron told, “get some rest. I’m going to sleep now.”

Aaron closed Evan’s door and made his way to his room. After locking the door Aaron took off his jacket. He turned to the mirror and stared at himself then smiled slowly.

“Your smile’s getting better,” Selina’s comment chased itself around in his head.

Did she like him too? Aaron’s smile remained calm, but became broader. She had returned to Prescon after going off with Jiro. Did she come back to see him? Aaron’s heart pumped with hope.

===

After making sure that the door was closed Evan released the picture he’d pressed against himself. He stared down at her smiling face. Her arms were spread out like a flying angel’s and she smiled at the camera. His friend had given him the picture in exchange for money. She was so beautiful. Evan ran his hand over her cheeks and shivered with a delightful smile as he imagined her soft warm cheeks.

“The next time I’ll find out where you live,” Evan said quietly, “and then we can be happily, happily together.”

Evan gave the picture a kiss then placed it back in his drawer.

“It’s time to say good night now,” Evan told, “I’ll be back again tomorrow morning sweety.”