=19=

My Dear Twin

“Selina’s been kidnapped! You need to go find her!” Hebe shouted.

“What?” Jiro asked.

Hebe moaned and took out her cell phone showing Jiro Selina’s message.

“Hurry up! I’m afraid anything could have happened to her by now!” Hebe shouted.

A second later Hebe found herself sitting in the passenger’s seat of a police car as it zoomed down the highway.

“Cabin, what cabin?” Jiro questioned.

“I’m afraid to think about it,” Hebe told. “I don’t know! There are a lot of cabins!”

Jiro turned back to the dark streets. Cabin? What cabin? Why couldn’t Selina have been specific?

“I’m afraid to think about it,” Hebe muttered, “what if she ends up dying at the same place?”

“What place?” Jiro asked. “You have to tell me or we’ll never find her!”

Hebe bit her bottom lip.

“The last place on your mind is most likely the right one,” Jiro told.

Hebe gulped then turned to the cop beside her.

===

Selina laughed uncomfortably, “Me…cook?”

“You look like a really good cook,” he told smiling at her.

Selina had to avert her eyes elsewhere in order to keep herself from shouting at him. On the other hand she had to keep him normal for as long as possible. She prayed silently that Hebe had gone to find Jiro already.  

“There isn’t anything to cook though…” Selina said.

“Should we play a game?” he asked.

“What?”

“A game. This game used to be really popular and still is. It’s always best played in the dark,” he said enunciating each word carefully.

Selina stared at him ready to run.

“What game?” Selina asked almost through gritted teeth.

“Hide and seek,” he told. “You hide and I’ll seek, but there’s a punishment if I find you.”

Selina gulped.

“If I find you, you’ll have to stay with me forever,” he said with a smile. “Lets start now. You have 30 seconds to hide.”

Selina immediately burst out the door. Where in the world was there to hide? Was he doing this to her on purpose? She didn’t have anything to do with him and she didn’t know him. What did he want with her? Selina hopped over a log and almost tripped. She glanced back toward the cabin to see that he was still counting.

===

“Aaron! Aaron!” his father shouted as Aaron reached the front door.

“What’s wrong?” Aaron asked coming to a stop.

“Evan! He’s gone!”

===

Selina came to a stop by a grassy area. She hoped he wouldn’t be able to find her there. Selina stuck to the extra large tree and shut her eyes. She needed a moment to breathe peacefully before her heart would jump out again. Down below Selina could hear the calm movements of the water. Was it a lake down there?

Leaves hung down from the big branches almost touching the ground. Trees thick and thin surrounded the grassy area. Selina wasn’t sure if there were any animals around because she couldn’t hear any crickets crying out to each other. The dirt was hard, but soft as the full moon shone over head.

Her shoulders stiffened as she hard a stick crack. Was he there? Selina waited a moment, but no one came. She let out a quiet sigh of relief.

“Selina,” a quiet voice whispered into her ear.

Selina turned to her left to see the man who looked exactly like Aaron smiling at her. Gritting her teeth Selina made a run for it.

“Where are you going?!” he shouted.

Right after her Selina could hear his loud pounding footsteps as they landed heavily on the ground. It felt exactly like the same dream she’d had in Taoyuan when she was being chased by the killer. What was happening? Selina just kept on running and running as his voice screamed out her name.

===

Jiro’s police car came to a stop. Hebe stared at the car next to them with wide fearful eyes. Was Selina really there? Did anything happen to her yet? Jiro got out and finally realizing that he did Hebe got out as well.

“Lets hurry,” Jiro told.

Hebe followed him as she looked around the area. She felt shivers climb all over her. She had never once dreamt in her life that she would be stepping there…with her own feet. The tall trees stood among the night sky with the cold wind blowing at her. Where was Selina? Where was the cabin? Was she running about right now? Hebe felt as if she were about to start crying.  

“Selina!” Jiro shouted over and over as he walked further on.

Hebe felt speechless as she had no choice, but to follow. She couldn’t even bring herself to start yelling Selina’s name. Would she be like Xuan? She wanted to turn around and take shelter in Jiro’s police car. As they walked further on Hebe wondered what was going through Selina’s mind as she was being led down the path. Maybe she was scared? Hebe gulped hoping that whatever happened Selina was strong as she always was.  

===

Why was he chasing her? Why was he making it seem like a horror movie where the killer chased the victim nonstop? Why did he give her to feeling that he wanted to kill her? Selina wanted to shout, but knew better than to do so. It could worsen the situation any moment if she started screaming. Pressing her lips tighter together Selina hurried on.

Trees and more trees passed her. Was she lost? She didn’t even know where she was going. As fear filled her eyes Selina did not see the root of a tree sticking out from the ground and clumsily tripped over it. She landed on her stomach with her face and arms scorched in the ground. As Selina got up she could hear footsteps stop behind her. Selina could feel her lips start to shake right then. Why was he chasing her so intensely?

Selina got up without turning back. Maybe she would be able to continue running.

“Why are you running from me? Are you Xuan or Selina?” he suddenly asked.

Selina felt shivers run down her spine. Why was he asking her about Xuan? What did he know about her? Selina took a step forward, but he quickly came behind her covering with his hand. He had head locked her.

The pace of his breath quickened against her neck. What was wrong with him?

“I…I can’t remember if you’re Xuan or Selina. Who are you?” he screamed in her air shaking her as he did so.

Selina could hear a small cry escape through her muffled lips.

“Selina!” a voice shouted.

Selina looked around in the dark. Had Hebe and Jiro come? His grip tightened on her as if he wanted to get rid of her on the spot, but then he suddenly let go of her as if scared. Without waiting for anything Selina made a run forward.

“Selina! Selina!” that voice came again.

She forgot to see their surprised, shocked faces as she came bursting out of the thick trees. They came at last! She would be able to stop running! Selina let out a loud cry as she ran against Jiro. Quickly remembering that that Aaron look-a-like was still there Selina half ran behind Jiro. Both her hands gripped his arm without her realizing it.

As they could hear footsteps Hebe also moved behind Jiro. Jiro’s flashlight landed upon the Aaron look-a-like then he turned to look at Selina. Hebe’s eyes also widened and she turned to look at Selina. Selina kept her pressed lips together to keep them from shaking as she returned their gazes fearfully.

Selina clutched her hands tightly as she sat down on the chair next to Hebe. She couldn’t look at either Hebe or Jiro. She couldn’t stand their curious, yet sorry eyes.

They were at the other side of the police station where criminals were brought in and were to wait for family members to come get them. Jiro sat behind a small green desk. The Aaron look-a-like stood by the wall. It seemed like an eternity to Selina. Finally the doors opened and Aaron walked in.

“Evan!” he shouted as he hurried over.

Selina spun around to look at them. She could feel her heart jump out from its place. They looked exactly alike…so there were two of them? What in the world? Selina’s eyes widened as Aaron turned to look at her.

Hebe and Jiro felt as shocked as Selina. They had no idea that Aaron had had a twin.

“Are you ok? You’re not hurt are you?” Aaron asked worriedly.

Selina got up from her chair to look at them both.

“Please don’t get angry…I can explain…” Aaron began.

“You don’t have to apologize for me,” Evan said then turned to Selina, “I didn’t mean to hurt you…I just wanted to play with my brother’s girlfriend a little…”

Selina’s hand immediately flew up from her side as she sent a slap across Evan’s face.

“That…was not funny…not one bit,” Selina said through gritted teeth then turned around running out.