=34=

My Dear Twin

===

From afar as the group of officers rushed forward Aaron remained glued to his spot staring both Selina and Evan with wide eyes. The dark air surrounded him as memories flew through his mind. The warning that someone had been watching Selina from her window to the times she’d spoken so strongly about finding her twin’s killer. He wondered when Selina began to suspect the truth. Was it when she had asked him a strange question and told him afterward that she’d choose her family over anything? He could imagine how she felt then…had she felt scared looking at him in the face?

Aaron watched helplessly as Evan fought against the officers as they tried to take him to the car. While Jiro screamed at the officers to call for an ambulance Jiro turned over to look at Aaron. Aaron stared back feeling sorry for Selina then looked away following the officers and Evan.  

===

Selina woke up a day later with Hebe crying beside her. Selina glanced around the hospital room first and sat up.

“I was so scared!” Hebe cried as she threw her arms around her friend.

Selina smiled and patted Hebe’s back.

“I thought you were going to die!” Hebe continued.

Selina had to agree with Hebe. She, herself, had also believed she would have died. Thank god to her saviors.

Evening came by and quickly passed by. Selina found herself standing in the bathroom staring at her own reflection the next morning. There were light pink marks around her neck where Evan had tried choking her. Her sore throat was beginning to feel better but she couldn’t shake off the feeling of someone trying to kill her. Her eyes did not leave her reflection until she heard a knock outside. Selina stepped out to see Jiro standing at the doorway.

“Feeling better?” he asked.

“Sure.”

Selina stepped out of the bathroom in her usual clothing. Her cell phone had been placed on her bed and Selina walked over to get it.

“Nothing’s been testified yet. Evan’s father still opposes the idea that his son killed his classmate,” Jiro told, “unless you make an appearance in court, but it won’t be easy.”

Selina stared back at Jiro, “I’m all ready for it.”

Selina sat at the table with her lawyer who would be defending the case. Aaron sat with his father at the table not too far from hers with their lawyer. Since the day of being chased down by Evan she had not seen Aaron. Had he returned with Evan to the mental hospital? Or had he tried avoiding her in order not to hurt her feelings when he saw her again? Or was it that he felt guilty on Evan’s behalf? Selina focused her eyes on the judge before her ignoring the prompting questions about Evan and Aaron. She wasn’t sure how she was supposed to feel toward the situation as of the moment. It had been too sudden and coincidental that Aaron was Evan’s twin and she had grown feelings for him.

As the trial went on Selina did not feel scared as thought she would because she knew the day she’d been wishing for was happening right in front of her eyes. Selina turned back to see Jiro and Hebe sitting somewhere in the crowd behind her and smiled at them. They smiled back at her and Selina felt assured that the court case wouldn’t last long.

Selina felt proud as she watched Evan’s classmate testify for her. He told the judge exactly what he’d told Selina a few days ago. Even if Evan was mentally disabled that was not a strong enough excuse to keep running away from murdering someone. Evan would return to the mental institution and be locked up there for the rest of his life. His father would also be fined for threatening the police that if they didn’t close Xuan’s case he would cut them off from their jobs. Selina was sort of glad that Aaron did not bear any consequences through this situation, but having to see his dad everyday would bring him more burden. Selina felt for him, but had to be glad for herself because she was safe and alive.

The court session ended before nightfall and Selina shook hands with her lawyer thanking him. She also thanked her ex-classmate for telling the court what he said he would. As Selina headed out she ran into Aaron in the hallway. They stared at each other in silence. His eyes were full of misery, but somewhere in his eyes were the signs of his positive attitude.

“I’ve said before I won’t let my sister’s killer run away,” Selina said standing her ground refusing to let her feelings sway, “I’m not going to apologize for going through Evan’s personal life behind your back.”

“I had a feeling,” Aaron told, “that you would be like that. I don’t feel remorse toward you, but I’m disappointed my father let the case down like that. I’m sorry you had to suffer those 10 years.”

“I’m not leaving Prescon,” Selina said, “I know we won’t be the same anymore, but I hope we can still be close like normal friends.”

Aaron smiled at her and Selina excused herself. Selina had an urge to look back as she walked toward the exit. Had he been worried about her? Had he visited her in the hospital when she was still unconscious? Part of her wanted to cling onto him because the worst was over and nothing had been Aaron’s fault. Still her body moved forward and she met up with Jiro and Hebe outside.

“Lets go for a drink,” Jiro suggested. “It’s something you’ve been waiting for all these 10 years.”

Selina smiled at them, “I have somewhere else I want to go. Why don’t you guys go enjoy yourselves?”

“I was planning to go home,” Hebe told. “You two enjoy yourselves.”

Selina watched as Hebe walked away and snorted at her. Selina turned to Jiro again.

“I’ll keep in touch,” Selina gave her farewell and walked off.

Before heading home Selina stopped at a 24 hour store to buy flowers. It was about time she visited a place she’d been avoiding for a long time.

As dawn stopped upon the world Selina woke up early and ate a long breakfast. She got in her car and drove to the cemetery. Gravestones with angels and words engraved in them stood all over. Selina walked over to the left to find her sister’s stone and placed the flowers by them. Her guilt had died away because Xuan’s killer was found and all the sadness she’d beared for 10 years was finally beginning to dissolve.

“How are you? Are you as good as I am?” Selina asked.

The wind whispered back and she smiled.

“I’m in peace now and I hope you are too,” Selina said, “you wait for me so we can be twins again in our next life and we’ll grow old together…my dear twin.”