=27=

My Dear Twin

After half an hour Jiro walked out with dishes that looked like he hadn’t made them at all.

“You really made this?” Selina said.

“What do you think?” Jiro questioned as he put the dishes onto the table before her.

“I think you’re lying. You must have been playing in the kitchen while you ordered the food through the back door,” Selina told.

Jiro laughed, “Then I guess so.”

Selina had to admit they looked better than what she could cook up. The plates made her want drool as watered.

“I bet it tastes better than what you can cook up,” Jiro played.

“You really like irritating me don’t you?” Selina asked.

“Could be,” Jiro replied.

He walked away and came back with two empty plates and some utensils.

“Eat,” he said. “You’re lucky these are not leftovers.”

Selina grabbed her spoon without waiting for him to finish.

“Did my dad tell you a lot?” Jiro asked.

“Shouldn’t you know?”

Jiro shrugged, “My dad didn’t tell me anything regarding your twin. He was helpful, though, wasn’t he?”

Selina paused to think about what she’d learned from Jiro’s father. It was painful information, but she needed it no matter what.

“Very.”

Selina paused and poked at her food for a moment then turned to look up at Jiro.

“This…about me looking into the case it’s only between us…only your father should be the other outsider aware of it,” Selina said with her voice serious, “don’t let this out to anyone.”

“Outsider?” Jiro repeated. “You really know how to put your words.”

Selina turned away. After returning to work she’d find some opportunities somehow even though she wasn’t sure of what she was going to do yet. She was only sure of one thing and that was she didn’t even anyone nosing into her business. If someone found out about her looking into Xuan’s case there could be a chance that Aaron could learn about it especially since they worked at the journalism office. She didn’t want her ideas to be destroyed after Aaron found out.

After dinner Jiro drove Selina back to her apartment and helped her into the house. Jiro stood inside her home as if waiting for something.

“You removed your blinds,” Jiro pointed out then turned to look at Selina who was sitting at the kitchen table.

“So?” Selina said.

“You did it yourself?” Jiro asked.

“None of your business,” Selina snapped. “Are you done now? If so please leave.”

Jiro turned around and smiled, “You’ve been tense all day.”

“Before I lose my temper again just go,” Selina warned.

“Ok then Miss Bossy,” Jiro said then turned around to go.

Selina watched as Jiro locked the door then closed it. Selina finally let out a sigh. The day had felt too long and tiring. She was ready to give up and go to sleep, but before she could get up her phone rang. She rolled her eyes as she saw Jiro’s name on the id caller.

“Your car has been retrieved,” he said. “Do you want to go get it yourself?”

“I’ll get it myself,” Selina replied then hung up.

That night before taking her long planned shower Selina unwrapped her ace bandage to find that the swelling around her ankle had stopped. Her ankle was now the same size as it had been before.

“So that jerk has actually done some good,” Selina said to herself as she tossed the bandage aside.

===

Evan found himself standing outside of Selina’s apartment. He watched her shadow through the bathroom window. He couldn’t stop thinking about her since he’d brought her to the cabin. He wanted to feel her skin again and hold her the way she let Aaron hold her. But no matter what he’d get her somehow…and when it was the right time he’d get her. He knew she would be bored without him around. Evan watched Selina until the lights turned off.

===
 
Thursday morning came quickly. Selina found herself sitting on a bed as the doctor examined her ankle. She watched him for a long time as he seemed to observe her ankle slowly.

“Very good,” he replied, “your ankle seems to have gotten in shape again. Don’t push yourself to move around too much these next few days though. There’s still a chance that your ankle can get worse again if you run too much.”

“I’m not planning to run,” Selina replied.

After her examination Selina hailed a taxi to head to Prescon. As she walked through the doors there was one clear fact that did not leave her mind and that was that Prescon was started and owned by the Yan family. If they had such a large publishing company on that large piece of land Selina believed that it must be important for them to stay out of gossips and such things as scandals. Why was it that she had never realized before how big the company was? Why had she never wondered how much power Aaron’s family had?

Selina hurried passed the front desk and into the journalism office. She took a seat down at her desk to look at some articles her boss had put on her desk for her. They were mostly about Chang Jiang and his drug abuse. Selina set the papers aside just in time as her boss hurried over. Selina stared at the folder he had in his hand. Was he anxious to give her a new case?

“Guess what I have for you?” he said as he placed the folder down in front of her. “A new unsolved story.”

Selina glanced at the folder. Of course she would be interested in finding the killer, but she would do what she wanted to do first.

“Wait,” Selina called.

He glanced at her surprised before he could explain about the case.

“I have another case I want to look at for the time being,” Selina said, “but leave this case for me. I’ll still do it.”

“What case?” he questioned.

Selina looked around for a bit then returned to her boss, “I want to investigate Xuan’s death.”

“Are you thinking right? You haven’t even gotten close to that,” her boss stated.

“Give me a week or two,” Selina persuaded, “I know I’ll find something during this time and at the end if I don’t I’ll return to the case your holding…and don’t tell anyone.”

Her boss frowned at her, “I hope you’re just not putting your hopes up.”

Selina stared at his back as he turned to walk away. She was sure her hopes weren’t going up, but she was sure that she would find something.

Deciding she wouldn’t get any further in the office Selina exited the journalism office. As she stepped out she could hear Aaron’s voice from not too far. Selina turned to see him coming down the stairs talking to someone next to him. Selina paused for a bit and waved to him as he looked over. Aaron seemed to motion for her to wait as he headed for the door and shook hands with the man he was with. After doing so Aaron opened the doors and walked back in.

“Who was that?” Selina wondered.

“He’s a representative for a company in England that wants to work with us,” Aaron answered.

“From England? Prescon must be really amazing,” Selina said.

“He has special relations with my father,” Aaron replied. “Do you want to go for dinner?”

“Ok.”

“But I have to drop some things off at home and talk to my dad about something first. Do you mind?” Aaron asked.

Selina thought to herself quickly, “No.”

The size of their house stunned her as Aaron’s car stopped in front of the dozen stairs that led to the house. The whole house was white and two stories high. There was a glamorous balcony facing the front of the drive. Selina could feel drop open. It seemed like she was visiting a second white house.

“Wait here a bit ok?” Aaron said.

“Can I come in?” Selina asked. “I mean is it alright for me to look around?”

Aaron paused for a moment then nodded. Selina got out of her car slowly and followed him inside. They walked into the house and Selina wasn’t able to get a good look at the other rooms as Aaron quickly led her up the stairs. The floor was carpeted blue and there were many doors.

“My father’s over there,” Aaron gestured toward the large library.   

Selina nodded and followed Aaron into the library. There were plenty of tall shelves filled with many encyclopedias and books. His father, who was an old man now, sat in a large red comfy chair by the corner of the room. The front of his head was bald but the rest of his head was full of hair. He wore thin glasses on the bridge of his nose and was dressed in a formal shirt with black pants. He seemed to be reading a newspaper when Aaron walked in.

“Aaron!” he called joyfully.

“Dad this is Selina Ren. She’s an investigative reporter at Prescon,” Aaron introduced. “Selina this is my dad.”

Selina nodded toward him respectfully, “Good evening.”

“Nice to meet you.” He smiled at her. “Why are you here?” he turned to Aaron.

“Oh…yes I brought some documents over. Your friend from England came to visit,” Aaron said.

As they engaged in a conversation they seemed to have drifted off to their own world. Selina turned away and walked out of the library. She walked down the hall curiously and looked from door to door. The house seemed abandoned as silence filled in.