=21=

My Dear Twin

After writing down their address Selina put her phone down. Selina grabbed her bag getting up.

“Selina! Where are you going?” asked her boss.

“Going to get my car from the garage,” Selina replied.

“Someone wanted to see you,” her boss told.

“Who?” Selina asked.

“The CEO wants to know what you’re up to,” her boss said, “since when do you talk to the CEO?”

“Maybe he got the wrong person,” Selina shrugged and walked out.

She wasn’t in the mood to meet with Aaron whatsoever. Maybe she was angry with herself for not realizing he wasn’t Evan, but Aaron. Maybe she was angry at the fact that he would want to apologize on his brother’s behalf or that Evan was his twin. Whatever it was Selina did not want to think about it. One thing she knew for sure, she was angry with the people who did not try hard enough to solve Xuan’s death.

“I would’ve come sooner, but I didn’t have time,” Selina said as she received the car keys.

“Investigative reporter right?” the man said.

Selina nodded.

“We kept your car clean for you, take her out of here,” he said.

“Thanks,” Selina walked toward her shiny car and got in.

After turning the engine on Selina was on her way back to her apartment.

===

Nothing more than acquaintances and nothing more than friends? Jiro laughed to himself as he put a folder down on his desk at home. Selina sure knew how to speak. But why was it that he felt bothered by her words? Jiro sat down on his chair. He figured Selina was probably still shaken up with the incident the day beforehand. Having watched and observed her from the first time he’d seen her he was sure Selina didn’t express her emotions much.

Jiro wanted to talk to her anyhow. He wanted to clear it up with her that his father had tried his best to solve the case, but it had to be put on hold by the boss’s orders. He wondered what had made her so angry to come stomping into his office yelling at him. Had someone told her something? Or had Evan’s twin sparked something up in her?

Jiro was still curious about what had happened between the two of them. Had he done anything to her in the cabin? Why had Selina seemed so scared when she came running out of the trees? Jiro wanted to investigate more about it, but if Selina didn’t set a complaint Jiro decided to leave the matter alone. Anyhow, Selina seemed close with the boss of Prescon. Did they have something going on between them?

===

Aaron paced back and forth in his room. He had wanted to find Selina the whole day, but she wasn’t in the journalism office downstairs. Should he call her? What if she wanted some more time to be alone? Would she get angry with him for interrupting her peace? She didn’t seem to be in a good mood after what Evan had done to her. Aaron still felt mad at his twin, but he couldn’t get the truth out from Evan about what he’d done to Selina. Aaron set his phone down on his desk deciding to forget it. He’d wait a day or two more. He wanted to respect Selina’s personal space.

===

Pouring her ramen noodles into a bowl Selina sat down to enjoy her simple dinner. Before the noodles reached Selina couldn’t help, but look at her window. She hadn’t had time to change the blinds to curtains. Selina felt creeped out just thinking about it, but told herself she would have to deal with it during the time being. If anything happened she could call Hebe or the cops.

After dinner Selina washed her dishes and sat around for a while. She took a nice hot shower then changed into her PJ and sat down with a cup of tea. She had tried reading a book, but her mind wasn’t concentrating. Giving up Selina laid down for a second then got up walking toward her bag. Selina pulled out the manila folder she had taken from Jiro.

Putting the pictures aside Selina grabbed the first article dedicated to the case. November 25, 1999 toward the middle of the school year a teenage girl, Xuan, was found murdered by the creek passing the cabin resort just outside of Taipei. A man who had rented out the cabin with his girlfriend discovered the body during their early morning jog. Police surrounded the area mid-afternoon questioning authorities and any witnesses that were nearby. No one had any clue about what had actually happened. They tried looking for footprints and traced them back to stores, but no clear answer came out. An autopsy on Xuan marked that she had been stabbed and strangled. They tried for fingerprints, but it seemed like the murderer had worn gloves while doing his job.

Selina tossed the papers down and put her arm over her eyes. The investigators, detectives, and cops and whoever else was involved in the investigation were all losers. Why had they suddenly stopped the search? Selina wanted to know why.

Selina woke up an hour earlier than she had expected and grabbed a long breakfast as a long day awaited her. After combing her hair and checking that she had everything with her Selina grabbed her bag and exited her home.

The sunny day marked a happy looking countryside. Houses stood in the open with tall green trees surrounding them. Selina drove across a small dirt road and came to a stop at a blue house. The panes surrounding the windows were painted in white. Flowers marked the entrance with green bushes that stood in front of the home. White rocks substituted the dirt that sat under those green bushes. It was a big house and across from the house were a few trailers and a large gardening area. Selina could clearly make out chicken houses way in the back.

Getting out of her car Selina walked up to the fenced door and opened it then pressed the doorbell. After a moment a young teenage girl about 15 came to the door. Her baby face made her look adorable as she smiled at Selina.

“Mom!” she shouted as she turned around to look back toward the kitchen.

Selina glanced inside to see that TV playing Spiderman.

“Come in,” she said unlocking the door for Selina, “I heard you’re an investigative reporter. It sounds like a cool job. I might become one someday too.”

“It is a cool job,” Selina replied with a smile.

An old woman with white streaked hair walked into the room. She was wearing a spring dress with a sweater buttoned up. The room Selina had stepped into was the den. There was a couch facing the TV and another one to its right. A carpet sat on the ground with a small oval table on top of it. There was a short hallway down to the left which Selina guessed led to the bedrooms. Straight ahead of her was the large kitchen. A walk in door let the sun shine into the kitchen giving it a homey feeling.

“Sit down. Mira go get us some warm water,” Mrs. Chang said.

As the daughter walked off Mrs. Chang turned to Selina.

“I heard you got injured visiting our old home,” she said.

“Yea, I did, but I’m all better now,” Selina replied, “where’s the whole family? Do you live together?”

“My oldest daughter got married just recently. She’s living in the city with her husband right now. My son is out in the field tending to the chicken and Mira is home with me,” she explained, “that’s about it.”

Mira headed back into the room with two medium sized cups of warm water. She set them on the table and walked off. Selina watched as Mrs. Chang glanced down the hallway and after a door closed she turned back to Selina.

“They say my son killed my husband, but that’s not it,” she said turning to Selina. “My son was by my side the whole day when we were with the grandma we were taking care of. Chang Wei’s cousin was in debt and about to lose his farmland to the loan sharks so the day before he came over to beg us for some money. Chang Wei refused to give him the 25,000 he asked for because it wasn’t the first time his cousin had gotten in a mess with the loan sharks. About 5 years before Chang Wei had given him 50,000 to restart his business which failed horribly.”

“How was his cousin like?” asked Selina. “What’s his name?”

“Chang Jiang, he’s an alcoholic and still is one. His wife left him after he lost the farm and from what I hear he owns a private club right now which isn’t making much money,” Mrs. Chang told. “He’s a straight out failure.”

“I heard the person who murdered your husband looks exactly like your son,” Selina recalled.

“That’s what made me most suspicious, but I was afraid to speak about it. The cops didn’t look like they believed me much when I tried to defend my son,” Mrs. Chang stated, “Chang Jiang could have twisted my tongue if I said anything.”

“What do you mean?”

“If you don’t look at him closely he looks just like my son,” Mrs. Chang pointed out, “even our neighbors mixed them up once.”

“They look alike?” Selina asked.

Mrs. Chang nodded, “I wanted to say it was him who murdered Chang Wei.”