=28=

My Dear Twin

Almost in the middle of the hallway Selina found a dark room with the curtains closed. She turned the light switch on to see that the bed wasn’t made and the covers were left in a mess probably since morning. There was a garbage can by the door and Selina quickly walked passed it after almost knocking it down. Selina looked at the bare room and turned to the white drawer and desk by the bed. Selina glanced at the bare desktop then opened the drawer. It felt as if there were some invisible force pulling her toward it.

Her eyes opened in shock as she saw a picture of her smiling. It had been taken when she was in high school because Selina recognized the school uniform. She took the picture out without thinking and glanced at the articles cut out from newspapers. They were of unsolved murder cases she’d solved in the past. Why would they be there? Who would want to keep looking at them? Was it Evan? Selina felt her heart pump wildly. She felt excited that she’d found something, yet scared that everything was of her.

Beneath the articles Selina found the school yearbook from high school. She opened it to see that every page had been scribbled out with a black sharpie. Selina found that every page that had at least a little bit of her had been left alone. Selina felt something jump at her from inside as she landed on the page where every one of her classmate’s pictures was printed on. Every picture had been crossed out with an ‘X’ and a heart had been drawn around hers.

Selina glanced back at the door wondering if Aaron and his father were done conversing. After placing everything back the way she remembered Selina exited the room and began walking toward the library just as Aaron walked out.

“I was wondering where you went,” he said.

Selina smiled back to make sure that nothing seemed suspicious, “Just looking around.”

Throughout dinner Selina could not focus her attention on Aaron at all. She knew that she should have been feeling immersed with him, but after seeing her picture and the yearbook Selina felt something kick at her. The yearbook….the yearbook…the yearbook. Something clicked in Selina’s head and she immediately knew how to start the search for Xuan’s murderer.

Aaron stopped his car in front of Selina’s apartment and she turned to him after unbuckling herself.

“Your room down the hallway…where was it?” Selina asked.

“It was somewhere at the beginning of the hallway,” Aaron replied. “Why?”

“I think I saw it,” Selina lied.

“Really?”

Selina nodded.

“Alright, go get some rest then,” Aaron urged.

“Goodnight,” Selina said and got out of the car.

After locking the door she ransacked her house. She searched through the closet tossing out clothes that had been piled on the ground and finally came across a box. Selina threw out binders, books, old pictures, old cameras, some papers she didn’t know why she kept, and so on. When she was a quarter of the way down to the bottom of the box Selina found a thick hard covered book. Recognizing it Selina pulled out the book and began flipping through it. There it was…a picture of Evan. Selina sat in silence for a bit and began flipping through the yearbook again. Grabbing a notepad and a pen Selina began to write down names.

===

Jiro had been busy reading some files when the door suddenly burst open and Selina walked in. She tossed something onto his desk that he recognized as his ace bandage.

“I don’t need…” Jiro began as he looked up, but his mind went blank as Selina stuck a piece of paper in front of his face.

“These people…please find me their numbers,” Selina said.

===

Selina returned to Prescon after making a trip to the police station. Turning her computer on Selina opened up the website Facebook. If she wanted to find people it was possible she would come across some of them. As Selina signed up for an account Selina laughed at herself. She wasn’t the kind of person who would sign up for such things to make online friends, but she was doing it right at the moment.

After having logged on Selina went to the search toolbar and typed in the first name of the list of Evan’s classmates she remembered. She had only chosen those who she had really talked to and dismissed the rest.

The first few names did not show up, but when Selina did find one she quickly pressed the “friend request” button. She was, however, disappointed that she would have to wait for them to accept her. How long would it take to be able to contact them? Dismissing her anxiety Selina continued down the list and made friend requests to all of them.

When she had done Selina sat around bored. How long would it take Jiro to find their numbers? Maybe if the wait would take long Selina should have accepted the case her boss was going to give her. Though working on two cases at once wasn’t her style Selina felt it was better than being bored. It was better to concentrate on one problem at a time Selina later decided.

Selina took out the folder with Xuan’s investigation information and glanced over them once more. She had gone through the thick pile of papers in two nights. Remembering every little detail that had been noted down was more than important.

Who would have dared to hurt Xuan? Who would have wanted to hurt her? Had the person who had sent her that love note wanted to kill her even before asking her out? But who in the world hated her? She got along with everyone at school and Xuan did as well. Selina thought long and hard, but nothing came to her mind.

If it was surely Evan, why him? She had never had any interactions with him after that joint gym class. Or was it because she had humiliated him in front of the whole school after pulling his pants down that he’d held a grudge against her? But it didn’t seem like it had mattered to him then. If Selina recalled correctly Evan had laughed along with everyone else.  

Before thinking on her cell phone rang. Selina immediately picked up without looking at the id caller.

“I’ve got it,” it was Jiro. “If you come back to the station I’ll give you what I have. Two of them have moved out of Taipei and are currently elsewhere, but everyone else is still nearby.”

“You’re fast,” Selina commented.

“This is important to you isn’t it?” Jiro asked. “You better be careful along the way if you’re intending to find the one behind Xuan’s death.”

“I know.”

Selina hung up and stuffed her folder into her bag and hurried off.

Jiro handed her a list of numbers next to the names Selina had asked for.

“You’ve found the correct people?” asked Selina. “You’ve found the correct numbers right?”   

“Call them and see for yourself,” Jiro said. “I don’t know what you’re up to yet, but I’ve never understood that mind of yours.”

“Sure,” Selina said, “thanks.”

Selina turned and walked out. The first thing she’d do when she get home was call them. She needed to set up appointments with them to question them. If lucky they would remember something about Evan.

“Hi, if you don’t remember I’m Selina Ren, your senior, back in high school. I have some things regarding an assignment I’m working with right now would it be ok for us to meet somewhere when you have time?”

Selina’s calls went alright and luckily every one of them had remembered her. She guessed they must still remember her as the girl who had lost her twin 10 years ago in the middle of the school year. She still remembered the pitiful faces they gave her then.

After retrieving her car Selina headed to an ice cream shop to meet with her first acquaintance. They started off with warm greetings and catching up with how life was so far.

“I asked you out for something that’s very important to me today,” Selina began as they got further into the conversation.

“I remember you saying you had something important to talk about,” the girl said. “What is it?”

“Evan, you still remember him right?” Selina asked.

“He was a weird kid. I don’t know why you would ask about him,” she exclaimed.

“It’s a personal matter.”

“Do you like him?”

“No. Do you still remember anything about him?”

Selina’s first attempt was successful as the girl had only remembered Evan’s fits. The second person she met didn’t even want to talk about Evan rather he just wanted a date.

Selina returned home in a flustered state of mind. She only hoped the people she were meeting the next day were better.

“Evan? I heard he was obsessed about a girl though I don’t know who she is,” the girl told Selina after finishing her second cup of milkshake.

She was the only one who Selina was able to meet that day. Obsessed about a girl. Selina kept that in her mind for the whole night.

The next few days Selina finally met up with the person who was last on her list. She remembered him well. He was a really outgoing person and caught Selina’s attention. Selina remembered that Xuan had liked him for a while and she had made fun of Xuan for it. Selina smiled to herself as she stared out of the window in the fast food restaurant watching the street.

The door opened and a man in a black leather jacket with short hair came walking in. She was surprised that she even remembered the way he walked. His hair used to be long then and she remembered he used to curl it too.

He flashed her a nice smile as he headed over. He even had nice cologne on.

“It’s been a while,” he said.