=25=

My Dear Twin

===

Selina sat around after Jiro’s father had left. Evan? She had no idea that he was a suspect, but then how would she have been able to know? It was a private investigation and it wasn’t like any simple details regarding Evan would have been leaked out to the public. Selina felt angry and wanted to punch that unknown force that was behind it all, but couldn’t. She half hated thinking and telling herself that she would have to find everything out for herself. Selina was thrown out of her thoughts when the doorbell rang. Turning from the kitchen table Selina got up and limped to the door.

Selina thought she felt her heart jump a feet back as she saw who stood there. She was unclear whether it was Aaron or Evan. Selina stepped a little to her right to be able to see the side of his head better. After a few minutes of looking for that scar she’d found on Evan’s head that was not present on Aaron’s Selina felt a relief flood through her.

“Aaron…right?” Selina asked feeling sort of dumb, but knew she had to ask in order to assure herself.

“Is something wrong?” Aaron asked.

“Never mind,” Selina let him in and closed the door.

Aaron watched achingly as Selina limped over to the seat she’d been sitting at earlier. He glanced at her feet.

“Have you injured yourself again?” he asked.

“It was an accident and it’s a long story,” Selina replied then glanced at the big bag he had with him. “What’s that?”

“Oh…this?” Aaron lifted up the bag for her to see then set it down on the table in front of her. “Remember your neighbor telling you about that person peeking into your house? So I bought some curtains.”

“You did?” Selina’s face lit up with surprise. “You didn’t have to.”

“It’d be safer if you removed the blinds. They’re old too,” Aaron said taking out the dark blue curtains. “I’ll put them up for you ok?”

Selina watched as Aaron took down the blinds carefully and replaced them with the dark blue curtains. After he was done putting up the new curtains Aaron stuffed the blinds into the bag.

“I’ll throw them out when I leave,” Aaron told.

“Thanks,” Selina thanked.

“Is your ankle bruised?” he asked.

“Not exactly. It’s just swelling up that’s all,” Selina answered.

“I have an idea,” Aaron said then started looking through her cabinets.

Selina watched him silently wondering what he had in his mind. Selina frowned as Aaron grabbed a large bowl and the water. He waited until the water became warm and put the bowl underneath the faucet. When the bowl was about full he lifted it out of the sink and put it on the ground in front of Selina. Selina frowned up at him as he gently placed her barefoot into the water.

“Soaking your feet into warm water can help lessen the pain,” Aaron said, “it’s relaxing isn’t it?”

Selina could feel her heart flutter and become soft toward him.

“Have you eaten? You’ve been home all day haven’t you?” Aaron asked as he the stove.

“It can’t be helped,” Selina replied. “Are you going to make something?”

“Maybe some noodles?” Aaron said. “I only know how to make noodles.”

Selina laughed, “It’s fine. They’re at the closet over there.”

Steam flew up to the ceiling and the smell of noodles filled the deep air surrounding them. Aaron poured the noodles into a bowl and set it in front of Selina then hurried over to the rice cooker. After grabbing some utensils he hurried back to the table and took a seat.

“Edible?” Aaron questioned.

Selina looked at the food for a moment, “Edible.”

As they began to eat Selina couldn’t help, but let her curious eyes move over to his face.

“Have you been getting enough sleep?” Selina asked. “You should’ve gone home after going to Prescon.”

“I haven’t heard from you so I wanted to see how you were doing,” Aaron said, “I tried calling, but couldn’t get through.”

“I lost my phone through a fall,” Selina told remembering falling down the gorge and into the body of water, “I just got it replaced recently.”

“Falling down a gorge?” Aaron asked. “How did that happen?”

“Because of an unexpected chase,” Selina explained, “that’s pretty much it.”

“Your boss said you got injured,” Aaron told.

“Oh…that,” Selina said with a joking smile, “just pretty much my ankle swelling up has kept me from moving and this bruise right here.”

Aaron watched as Selina motioned to the back of her neck. He could sympathize with the pain she felt whenever she moved or turned her head.

“Now tell my why you look so tired,” Selina ordered.

“I’ve been caught up with work and organizing,” Aaron replied, “that’s pretty much it.”

“What are you organizing?” Selina questioned.

“Some papers my brother messed up. He keeps throwing fits these days,” Aaron said poking at the noodles on his plate.

“Evan?” Selina questioned.

Aaron looked up at her as if remembering something.

“Oh…sorry. You probably don’t want to remember him,” Aaron said.

Selina shook her head, “It’s fine…”

Selina began to wonder to herself if investigating Evan would offend Aaron. It couldn’t be helped that Evan was related to Aaron and especially was his twin, but justice had to brought to Xuan’s death. She had desperately wanted to find the killer and she wouldn’t let some random feelings stand in her way. She was already hurt enough from her twin’s unsolved murder and she wasn’t going to let the killer keep running away…even if he was related to someone she knew…and if he was someone who had a mental illness. There was no excuse to kill…at least through her point of view she saw it that way.

“Selina?” Aaron asked. “What are you thinking about?”

“You believe that peace should be found to those who have gotten hurt, don’t you?” Selina asked.

Aaron frowned at her.

“For me family would always come first when I face conflicts,” Selina said, “you believe in that too don’t you?”

Aaron nodded lost at where Selina was going. She seemed to smile at him unusually.

“Lets finish this before it gets cold,” Selina suggested.

After eating Aaron washed the dishes and poured out the water that Selina had soaked her foot into. After cleaning up Aaron headed toward the door taking the bag with him.

“Take care of yourself,” he said. “Relax some bit then return to work ok?”

As Aaron opened the door Selina got up from her chair limping toward him.

“Wait,” Selina said making her way over to him slowly.

Aaron turned around waiting for her to go on.

“Thanks,” Selina said as she put her arms around him for a hug.

He was warm and it felt nice to be against him. Selina could feel her heart beat faster yet, couldn’t help but feel that they would probably get no further than getting as close as they were right then. After closing the door and locking it Selina turned out the lights and went to sleep.

The ringing of her phone did not stop, but continued for 5 straight minutes right beside her. Selina covered her eyes from the light in her room and grabbed her phone.

“What?” Selina answered.

“Come outside,” it was Jiro.

Selina hung up the phone and covered herself with the blanket. That jerk was always bothering her at the worst times, no wonder she was always angry at him. Selina slept for another 5 minutes and woke up. Jiro had destroyed her peace and she wasn’t able to continue sleep anymore. After tying her hair back and splashing her face with cold water Selina got up from her room and limped to the door to find him standing against the wall of the house with arms crossed over his chest.

“What do you want?” Selina asked.

“You don’t sound very welcoming,” Jiro stated.

“How am I supposed to be in a good mood when you interrupted my peaceful sleep?” Selina shot back at him.

“Lets go out,” Jiro said, “I’m off today and I’m sure you don’t have anything to do.”