=15=

My Dear Twin

When the ride ended Aaron helped Selina out to his car.

“Your foot is still alright, right?” Aaron asked.

“I’m fine,” Selina replied. “Why?”

“Just making sure you didn’t break it again on the rides,” Aaron told.

Selina let out a laugh as Aaron gently closed the door.

“You’re funny, you know?” Selina commented.

Aaron sent Selina back to Hebe’s and had promised he’d call her again. After watching him drive off Selina hopped toward the door searching for her keys when the door suddenly opened.

“Where were you?!” it was Hebe.

“Oh…you’re home?” Selina asked.

“Well…duh!” Hebe replied. “Why weren’t you home? You were supposed to get your cast off today.”

“I was?” Selina asked surprised.

If she had gotten her cast taken off then it would have been a lot easier for her to get on the rides.

“Oh well…lets go in the morning,” Selina replied hopping into the house and made her way over to the sofa.

“Where did you go?” Hebe asked. “Your cheeks are burning red.”

Hebe gently ran her finger down Selina’s cheek.

“I was out,” Selina replied.

“With your boss?” Hebe asked. “What, did you guys make out or something?”

Selina frowned at Hebe, “You wish. We went to the amusement park.”

Hebe glanced at Selina’s ankle, “With your disabled foot?”

“We even rode the Ferris wheel,” Selina said dreamily, “and I’m not telling you anymore! Do you want some macaroni and cheese?”

“Serve yourself,” Hebe replied sitting down on the sofa as Selina got up.

Selina could still feel her heart beating fast as if Aaron were still there with her. She couldn’t help, but smile to herself as she reached for the necklace Aaron had bought for her around her neck.

===

Aaron walked into the still house. It was empty again. No maids were around and no racket coming from the TV told him they were all upstairs. Aaron climbed up the stairs heading toward his room. As he opened his door he found Evan searching through his files and folders. Papers were scattered all over his bed and folders thrown on the ground.

“What are you doing?” Aaron asked surprised at the scene he'd stepped upon.

Evan suddenly stopped and turned around surprised.

“Aaron you’re back,” Evan said.

Aaron rushed toward his folders and gathered them onto his table neatly.

“Why are you in my room?” asked Aaron. “Have you eaten your pills?”

Evan slapped Aaron’s hand that was reaching for him away.

“I have,” Evan replied, “I was just looking for something, but I guess you don’t have it.”

“What exactly are you looking for?” Aaron questioned.

“Nevermind,” Evan replied then walked out the door.

Aaron watched Evan leave then hurried to close the door and lock it. What in the world would Evan want from him? He didn’t have anything to Evan’s liking. Aaron felt himself become confuse to why Evan would search through his stuff.

Aaron turned to gather his papers. They were all about the employees from Prescon. Why would he want to know about anyone from Prescon?

===

Selina and Hebe waited for the doctor to come back with the X-rays Selina had just taken. It had almost been an hour since they had been sitting in the doctor’s office. Selina felt as if she’d been watching the clock tick the whole day. She wasn’t nervous about the results, but rather she just wanted to hurry up and get out of there.

The room felt dry and warm. Papers were bundled on top of another on the desk. There was a chart of diabetic information hanging on the wall next to a picture of the human brain. The walls were a pale green and Selina soon got sick of staring at it. Selina stared at the ground to see Hebe’s foot tapping against the tiled floor non stop.  The door finally opened 15 minutes later and the doctor walked in with his long white jacket flailing after him. Both Selina and Hebe turned their attention to him as he sat behind his desk. He cleared his throat a few times and smacked his lips together. They stared at him hoping he would say something so they could get out of there.

“Your ankle has gotten a lot better, quicker than I had expected,” the doctor said. “You can count yourself as a miracle wonder.”

Selina smiled to herself.

“The cast can be taken off today, but you’ll need to wear ace bandage for a week,” the doctor explained, “after we do another checkup and if the result is good you’re good to go, but if it’s not so good then you’ll need to stay in it for a bit longer.”

“I just need to rest a lot right?” Selina asked.

“Don’t move around so much and you’ll be fine,” the doctor nodded.

Selina silently punched both her arms into the air joyfully.

After having the cast removed and bandaged up Selina hurried toward the car. She tossed the crutch into the backseat and slapped her hands together.

“Goodbye you!” she shouted. “I’m finally rid of hopping around on that thing.”

“You’re not going to kill yourself are you?” Hebe asked sarcastically. “The doctor said rest, keep that in mind.”

“Yes, I know,” Selina said. “Now that I don’t have to use that thing anymore I can go back to my place.”

“You’re planning to stay alone when you aren’t well yet?” Hebe asked.

“Look at me Hebe,” Selina grabbed her friend’s shoulders, “which part of me seems sick to you? I’m not ill.”

“Stupid,” Hebe tossed Selina’s hands off her. “I know that.”

“Then what’s the big deal?” Selina asked with a shrug.

“I don’t know,” Hebe said her voice going quiet, “I feel like something might happen that’s all.”

Selina smiled childishly, “I’ll call you.”

With that Selina turned away and got in the car. Hebe felt her mind roll over itself. What was wrong? What had she felt nervous for Selina all of a sudden?

“Are you going to take me? Or should I get a taxi?” Selina asked.

Hebe followed Selina through the door to her small apartment. Hebe looked around as if to look for a fault so that Selina would return with her. But the house was pretty clean and nothing dangerous could be found around.

“Safe right?” Selina said turning around to look at her friend.

“Maybe if you weren’t an investigative reporter I would feel better,” Hebe told, “fine, but call me…whenever anything strange happens.”

Selina hugged Hebe tightly then let her go.

“Ok ma’am,” Selina replied. “Now you should go off to work.”

Before heading out Hebe turned around once more as if unsure that she should leave Selina alone. Selina waved to her contently with a smile then Selina closed the door. Selina breathed in the air deeply as if she were smelling roses. It felt good to be alone in her own home at last. Selina turned the TV on and sat down on the sofa. If the doctor recommended rest Selina wanted to rest in order to get better. The first night went by comfortably and so did the second.

Before putting her ramen into the boiling water Selina received a phone call from Aaron.

“Do you want to go out for dinner?” Aaron questioned.

Selina stared at her almost made dinner in front of her. She didn’t want to let her food go to waste, yet she also wanted to be with Aaron.

“Are you still at Prescon?” Selina questioned.

“I’m on the streets right now,” Aaron told.

“I’m not at my friend’s anymore,” Selina said, “I returned to my apartment.”

“Where’s that?” Aaron asked.

After giving Aaron directions Selina stared out the window to watch for him. Her heart beat faster just thinking about him. Selina smiled to herself as she recognized Aaron’s car. When Selina opened the car Aaron was already making his way to the door.

“I don’t think you need to assist me anymore,” Selina said with a smile, “my ankle’s healing faster than we thought. Good news right?”

“Aren’t you glad?” Aaron said opening the car door for her.

“Of course!” Selina replied as she sat down.

Unlike the French restaurant Selina had eaten with Jiro Aaron had taken her to a normal restaurant. The atmosphere didn’t feel too tense for her, but was warm and calming. Selina ordered her favorite food off the menu and then waited for the waiters to arrive with their food.

“Truthfully I was about to eat dinner when you called,” Selina told.

“Really? Sorry,” Aaron said.

Selina smiled and bit her bottom lip.

“Maybe next time you should invite me for dinner,” Aaron suggested.

Selina could feel both her eyebrows fly up in surprise.

“I only have simple stuff like ramen and eggs,” Selina replied. “I think it’s different from what you eat.”

“Perfectly fine,” Aaron replied.

“Are you sure?” Selina asked. “I’ll really cook for you next time then.”

Aaron smiled full of expectations, “If the food’s edible call me.”

Selina laughed at his remark. After dinner they drove around the city for a bit then they returned to Selina’s apartment.

“Thanks,” Selina said before getting out, “I’ll really call you then.”

Aaron nodded and waved to her. After watching him drive off Selina headed back into her apartment. She took a deep breath and jumped onto her bed kicking it happily.

Selina spent the next day going over what she would cook for Aaron to eat when she would invite him over. She debated to herself and thought for a long time then finally came to a simple conclusion. She would cook some beef and mix it with vegetables along with a side dish of noodles. It sounded good enough to her.

The next day Selina went out shopping and returned with the ingredients to cook. She hummed to herself excited. If Aaron had wanted to try some of her food it meant he liked her. Selina smiled to herself nonstop. She glanced at the clock on the wall and quickly grabbed her cell phone. However, when she tried calling him he didn’t pick up. Frowning to herself Selina tried again, but no one answered. She sat around for about ten minutes and finally got off her seat. She’d go to Prescon to find out if he was busy and if he was then…she’d eat it by herself.

===

It felt like a loud voice droning in his head refusing to stop. Evan got off his seat and paced back and forth in his room biting his thumbnail. He couldn’t sit still anymore. It had been too long since the last time. He needed to see her and was desperate.