=29=

My Dear Twin

“It has,” Selina greeted. “How’ve you been? Sorry for calling you out so suddenly.”

“No problem. It’s nice to hear from a school mate. You’ve gotten prettier,” he commented.

“Still boasting about that stuff, Calvin? Your hair’s short now,” Selina pointed out.

He laughed as he reached his hand to smooth back his hair, “More convenient this way.”

“I’m going to get to the point,” Selina told, “do you remember Evan? He was in your class.”

Calvin seemed to think for a bit then nodded, “That kid, who wouldn’t remember him? He threw dozens of tantrums in class, I felt embarrassed for him. I found him fun because he talked a lot sometimes, but then he also scared me and lots of other classmates.”

Selina listened on recalling his mental illness. Had anyone at their school knew about it? Was his father so uptight about it?

“Scared you? You know he has a mental illness?” Selina asked.

He shrugged, “I didn’t know, but then who cared. We were just some dumb high schoolers right? And as high schoolers are they’re dumb and they think they’re the world.”

Selina chuckled a little.

“You want to know something about Evan? I think it’ll scare you though,” Calvin said.

“Try me.”

“I took a picture during a club field trip once and you were there along with Xuan. When he saw the pictures he told me he wanted the picture of you,” he continued, “I wondered why he didn’t want a picture of Xuan since there wasn’t much difference but I sold it to him for 10 bucks. I think he liked you after that gym incident because he often stared at you as you passed down the hallways.”

“A picture?” the picture she’d found in the drawer at Aaron’s house flashed into her mind. “We were wearing school uniforms then right?”

“I think so,” he replied. “And you remembered those notes we passed around? He once told me he was going to do it and I just laughed at him.” Then he seemed to talk to himself. “Maybe he did cause I saw him scribbling a note in the classroom the day before the weekend that Xuan passed away.”

It was filling in on Selina’s mind. Who would have believed that Evan would try writing a note? Who would think a kid who threw tantrums and who was mentally ill would want to try writing a love note when they pretty much didn’t even understand the word loving someone? However, it turned out he had been scribbling a note the week before Xuan passed away. There was no doubt about it, it had to be the love note that she’d received.

“If I need you to testify for me will you tell the court what you’ve told me?” Selina asked deciding to jump to the conclusion.

He turned to stare at her as if to think things over and immediately replied, “Anything for a pretty lady.”

So maybe Evan did like her. So he wrote her that love note and maybe he invited her to the hut, but why would he kill Xuan? Selina thought over and over, but nothing came to her mind.

Selina hurried to Prescon and found her boss inside the journalism office.

“I think I’ve found a lead,” Selina told him. “You haven’t told anyone about what I’m doing right?”

“Of course not.”

“I’m not going to stop until I find an answer,” Selina said. “You have my back in this case right?”

He nodded at her with a warm smile, “Go for it.”

Selina hurried back out. She at least needed to tell someone where she was headed in Xuan’s murder case. However, as she rushed out she ran into Aaron.

“I haven’t seen you for a while,” he said.

“Oh…I’ve been a little busy that’s all,” Selina replied.

She had to admit she felt a little uncomfortable around him now that she was investigating Evan. Would it be stabbing Aaron in the back? Would Aaron be hurt over the matter?

“If you’re not busy later can we meet up for dinner?” Aaron asked. “I’ve a meeting till late tonight.”

“Sure, but I might be at my friend’s house,” Selina replied. “You remember her right?”

“Yea,” Aaron said. “I’ll see you then.”

Selina nodded and got into her car driving off.

“You actually called our classmates and met up with them? Do they look different?” Hebe questioned with her chin on her hands. “Did they change a lot? Do they remember you?”

Selina laughed at Hebe’s bombarding questions, “How could they forget the sister of the girl that died?”

“Oh yea…” Hebe said leaning back in her chair. “Who would forget that?”

“Remember that guy Xuan used to like? He has short hair now.”

Hebe’s mouth dropped open, “Really?!”

Selina nodded, “And he looks much more handsome.” Selina got up from her chair and grabbed a box of macaroni and cheese. “I’m hungry what about you?”

“Serve yourself. I already ate take out,” Hebe told.

Selina the stove and found a small pot. She filled it up with water and placed it on the stove just as the doorbell rang. They both turned to look at the door. Who would have come?

“I’ll go get it,” Hebe offered and got up from her chair.

====

Evan found himself staring at a stranger when the door opened. She also looked up at him surprised as if she had not expected to see him.

“What are you doing here? I thought Selina said you had a meeting,” Hebe said.

The way his eyes grew fierce made goosebumps grow on her arms. She suddenly pressed her lips together as she stiffened up.

“You’re not Aaron…”

Evan grabbed the wooden bear that had been placed by the table by the couch for decoration and hit Hebe across the head with it immediately knocking her out. As soon as she hit the ground Evan carried her placing her down onto the sofa to make it look like she was sleeping. After doing so he turned toward the kitchen to where his delight was waiting for him.

===

Selina turned around after hearing a loud thump. Had Hebe dropped something? Why wasn’t she hurrying back? Knowing that Hebe was never that careless to break something Selina returned to pouring the macaroni and cheese into the boiling water. As she heard steps behind her Selina turned around to see Aaron standing there in casual clothes.