=32=

My Dear Twin

Aaron’s face became an indescribable shock. Hebe could feel her hands fly over as not to let out a scream or even a loud gasp. Her hands began to tremble as her eyes became wet. If Xuan died would Selina die the same way? But then…how did Jiro know that Evan was the murderer? How could he say something like that to Aaron, Evan’s twin? Hebe was sure she could see a part of Aaron breaking and another part of him in doubt. There was no way he would believe that Evan had murdered Selina’s twin.

An expression of slight rage grew on Aaron’s face and Hebe could see Aaron ramming Jiro to the ground, but Aaron didn’t move an inch from where he was. He was so still Hebe was sure he’d frozen on the spot.

“We’ll need to get a team ready,” Jiro’s eyes turned to Hebe then he turned back to Aaron, “and we’ll need something to sterilize Evan with.”

===

Selina rushed through the fields of trees and tall grass with no idea about where she was headed or what she was doing. Her breath became louder and louder and she felt like she would just fall onto the ground and cry like a baby if she came to a stop. Somewhere deep inside of her something made her so scared. It was like those silent dreams where you’re running and running but you’re going no where and that something behind you was catching up to you.

The night was so dark it felt like she’d fallen into an endless black hole. The sky was dark black with the crescent moon hanging above. No stars could be seen and it felt like it had been ready to await Selina’s chase or even her death.

Selina stopped after a second and dropped onto her knees. Clutching onto the knife and gripping her knees Selina tried to catch her breath. Questions ransacked her mind about her survival and about Evan. How far was she from the cabin? Was she completely alone? Or was Evan playing hide and seek with her again? Would he suddenly pop out of nowhere and scare her soul out of her? Selina felt like she wouldn’t be able to handle it if he crept up behind her. For a moment she really wished she was dead because if she were she wouldn’t have to be going through this enormous emotion she was facing at the moment.

With her trembling self Selina turned around to see nothing but the tall grass standing upright into the air. Everything was shady and hard to make out. In broad daylight the trees would be standing tall and the grasses would be swaying with the wind as if moving along to some music. A few flowers would be sticking from the ground every few steps and Selina suddenly wondered if she’d trampled them or if she’d be trampled like them. The wood was a plain field reminding her of her slow life before she began the investigation. She’d been so eager, so motivated to find Xuan’s killer and bring him to justice, but at the moment she was feeling a slight regret of having come so far. Maybe she should have taken Jiro’s words. Maybe she shouldn’t have been so insistent on doing the search alone because she would feel a bit better if there were someone with her right now.  

There was a quiet wind, but it didn’t help ease her fear. Turning back Selina crept half-bending so that she wouldn’t be seen over the grass. She made her way to the other side where a large dark tree awaited her. If she sat still for a few minutes maybe Jiro would come for her. How she wished that she’d been nicer to him. Even if he annoyed her at times at least he helped her with every little bitty thing.

Selina clasped her hand over as a cry suddenly escaped. She could feel cold tears swim down her face. Why was this happening to her? She glanced around in the darkness and felt herself stiffen up as she heard footsteps nearby.

If it was Evan he didn’t say anything yet. She gulped and told herself to remain still and calm praying that he’d miss her and just walk by. Throughout her career of being an investigative reporter Selina had never expected herself to be running away from her sister’s killer. She had always pictured herself sending him to court and watch him be locked up in jail. Why was it that reality was so different from the way she had wanted it?

“Xuan…where are you?” Evan’s voice cooed like he was speaking to a baby.

Why was he calling her Xuan? Didn’t he already kill Xuan? Why was he calling Xuan? Selina felt like going mad, she wasn’t Xuan, but Selina. He walked passed her and came to a stop. Selina watched him shaking hoping he wouldn’t turn around to look at her. As if God was ready to turn against her he turned around to look straight into her eyes. A loud pulse shook her body as a smile crept onto his face and he slowly headed over. Selina watched him unable to move at first then suddenly urging the courage inside her she jumped out at him pinning him down. She tried stabbing him, but became unsuccessful when she realized she was hitting him with the of the knife letting out a cry with each hit. Was the fear turning her mentally crazy? Why was she hitting him with the of the knife?

Evan shouted beneath her painfully and suddenly giving up Selina dropped the knife making a run. The wind flew against her face blowing her hair back. Why hadn’t she just killed him? And why hadn’t she brought the knife with her? Selina felt herself going insane with the panic rushing through her stiff body.