A Piece of Puzzle

BABY WHO?

One month has passed and Niel is left with one more month to decide, to prepare himself with whatever decision he has in mind. He continued his daily life with Jun as usual. Sending him off to school, eating out with him and he hasn't been seeing Namjoo because she has been abroad for 2 weeks for business purposes. Niel kept the milk she gets from delivery daily in his refridgerator. Although Jun didn't showed any sign of liking Namjoo, but he seemed to miss her presence. 

"When is she coming back?" Jun asked as they passed by the door to her apartment when they were on their way to send Jun to his school.

"She'll be back. She has some works to do. I thought you dislike her." Niel said. 

"I don't hate her." Jun confessed. "She's fierce enough to take care of me." 

"What do you mean?"

"Like the aunty that took care of me at the orphanage. Always telling me what to do and what I cannot do. She resembles a mother to me." 

"Do you want her as your mother?" Niel laughed. "You would regret it"

"I don't know." Jun replied playfully. 

"The end of the year is coming near and you would turn 6 next year." Niel smiled. "Wait. Sung Jun." 

"Yes?" Jun lift his head to look at Niel.

"When is your birthday? Did I missed your birthday?" Niel was curiously asking as he was hoping that he didn't miss Jun's birthday. Even if he does, he hoped it would be before he met Jun. 

"It's on the 24th of December." Jun said. 

"WHAT?! That's in another 4 days. God! Jun why didn't you bother telling me?" Niel held Jun's hands as they walk to Jun's kindergarten.

"Because I thought you wouldn't care." 

"Okay, I might be bad and ignorant, irresponsible but I AM NOT THAT EVIL TO NOT CARE." Niel detested. 

Niel didn't plan anything but because he can't think of anything else for Jun, he simply decided to hold a birthday party for Jun. He was pretty sure that Jun didn't have the chance to actually celebrate his birthday when he was at the orphanage. At least, for the time being when Niel is still with him, he should at least make an effort to reach out for Jun. 

"Tell your friends that you will be having a birthday party at your kindergarten after class on the 24th." Niel said and smiled. His smile seemed sincere and playful at the same time. 

The moment Niel told Jun about it, Jun started jumping up and down while holding his hand with Niel. He was smiling ear to ear and Niel has never seen him so cheerful before. Somehow, seeing Jun happy made him happier. His smile grew wider and eventually laughed looking at the giddy side of Jun that he hasn't seen. 

"Can we invite Namjoo noona too!?" Jun's question was unexpected. Niel expected him to at least tell Niel to invite Chorong but seems like Namjoo topped Jun's list of favorite people. 

"Oh? Well, we will have to ask her. Why do you like her so much? She's always mean to you." Niel doesn't like his idea. 

----

Namjoo arrived at Incheon Airport and took the subway herself. She was in despair. She was feeling so blue. Every year, she has been living miserably when the end of the year comes. Nothing was more painful than having to go through the end of the year without thinking about her past. Every steps she took was heavy. She didn't ask for anyone to pick her up at the airport because she wanted to be alone. In fact, she went overseas just to try an give herself a break from thinking about her past but she would alway come back a few days before....

24th of December.

She walks home and found a sticky note at her door from Niel. 

'Friendly reminder, before you start accusing me. 

I did not steal any of your milks. I kept it for you in case it would get spoiled.

Fine, I took one. ONE ONLY. I'll pay you back.

-Cool Niel-

Namjoo wasn't in any mood for any quarrels with Niel. So, she simply crumpled the paper and threw it away. Niel happened to walk down the corridor after sending Jun to kindergarten. 

"Namjoo, finally you're home." Niel said sounded relieved. 

"Are you happy?" Namjoo asked. 

"Me? For what? Cause you're home? Hell no! Why would I?!" 

"For a moment just now I thought you have some interest in knowing my whereabout or maybe a crush on me." Namjoo didn't even smiled. 

"Look, I'll give all of your milks. I don't know if any of them passed the expiry dates so, just check the dates before drinking them." Niel ran into his house to take the milk and hand it to her. 

Namjoo waited for him and sighed. Niel came as promised and gave it to her. "Ah, and Jun invites you to his birthday party." 

"Oh, really? When is it? I should prepare him gifts" Namjoo seemed interested. 

"It's on the 24th." Niel said and left Namjoo speechless. 

"24th?" She asked. 

"Yeah, why? You can't make it?" 

"No, I'm free. I was just, erm, shocked. I have never knew Jun's birthday was on 24th." She forced a smile. "I need some rest." 

Namjoo went inside and the only thing she could think of was the biggest coincidence she has ever faced. 

"24th December." Tears ran down her cheeks thinking about the date. 

 

=============================================

 

DADUM~ sorry for the lack of updates >< but THANK YOU FOR READING~~~ YAY~ Happy Holidays, Merry Chritmas and Happy New Year to everyone~~