Thank You

BABY WHO?

Niel woke up the next day when he heard his dad crying alone in the living room. He approached his father and thought maybe for once, in his lifetime, he should try being a friend to his dad rather than a son who always caused him so much trouble. He sat next to him awkwardly and tried so hard to start a conversation. 

"Dad, this isn't like the first time you and mom fought." Niel said and put his arms around his dad's shoulder. 

"I know son. But, I just felt like I keep making mistakes in our marriage. Is there any moment I have ever done anything right besides having you?" His dad asked. Niel was shocked to hear his dad saying that he was somehow important in his life. 

"Me?" Niel asked. 

"You know, you were the only thing that went right in our marriage." His father confessed. "We were just a confused young couple when we got married. We weren't even in love when we got married but there was love when you were born. You made our life right." He said. "So, right now, the fact that you're no longer living under the same roof as us, we were just quiet in the house. I go home, I sleep and eat and the next morning I leave the house and head to work. We didn't have any other things to talk about. Although you would always give me troubles, but you were our only topic to talk about and now your mom just felt like I don't even appreciate her."

"Well, did you do anything to appreciate her?" Niel asked. 

"Not really." 

"Well, do you love mom after the marriage?" Niel asked again.

"I do."

"Then? Go out and reserve a restaurant, buy her flowers and just go out on a date!" Niel pulled his dad from the couch and took his coat, and hat to chase him out of the house. A part of him wants his dad to fix everything and a part of him wants him out cause he's afraid Jun wouldn't stop crying. 

"I should?" His dad asked. 

"For God's sake YES!" Niel pushed him out and locked the door. 

Niel's dad packed his stuffs and left right away. As they were walking down the hallways, her dad bumped onto Namjoo. Since they're business partners, he was surprise to know that she lives next door. 

"Oh? Namjoo-shii, I didn't expect to meet you here." He said and offered a warm smile. 

Namjoo bowed and smiled. "It's great to meet you again Mr Ahn. I haven't been in touch with you right after I signed the contracts." She said politely. 

"Yes, indeed. Ah, so you're my son's  neighbor then!" He said excitedly. 

"I believe so. Well, Mr Ahn, it's great to talk to you. Apparently, I haven't actually got ready for work and I am already late." She tried to excuse herself as she saw Niel signalling her to cut off the conversation. He was afraid that somehoe Jun would appear out of nowhere and eventually meet his father.

"Oh, I'm sorry for taking your time. Till then. " Niel's dad waved goodbye before Niel and him entered the lift. 

"Have a good day!" She said.

After sending off his father, Niel quickly went to Namjoo's house to take Jun back home. He felt guilty for forcing Namjoo to baby sit Jun but, he had no other choice. He rang her doorbell and waited for her to open the door but no one answered. He pressed the bell a few more times but still, no one answered. Niel couldn't think of anything else besides going straight to her office to find her because he doesn't even have her phone number. 

"This is a kindapping case!" Niel said while he got ready. 

Niel took the taxi instead of using the bus because he wanted to be fast but as soon as he got to the main road, he was stuck in a traffic jam. He cursed out loud and just couldn't find a way to make it faster. A 20 minutes drive became an hour drive and his taxi fare was so damn expensive that he had to stop halfway because he was out of cash. 

He was beginning if it's even worth it going through all the hassle just because he's being paranoid thinking Namjoo would actually kidnap Jun. He arrived at her office when she was out for a meeting. The worst part is that he can't even let her secretary call her cause no one was there. He had to wait for another hour until she showed up. 

"What are you doing here?" She asked. 

"Thank God! You are finally here!" He said. "Where's Jun?!" He changed immediately and accused her of kidnapping. 

"Do you really hate me that way?" She asked. 

"Oh, you don't ask me that question. Do you hate me that much to take such grudges on me and kidnap him?" Niel turned the table and asked her back. 

"No." Namjoo rolled her eyes. "Why would I play with your questions game? You are just so immature and I do not know how to talk to you nicely.  I dropped Jun at his kingdergarten." Namjoo said. 

"Oh, you knew?" Niel asked. 

"I was kind enough to ask and sent him off." She said. 

"If that's so." Niel said and laughed at how paranoid he was. He realized that he haven't had his breakfast yet. He looked at Namjoo and smiled. "Namjoo-shii, are you busy right now?" 

"Why?"

"Because, I thought of having brunch with you." 

"No, thank you. Especially not with you." She flipped through the pages of her books. 

"Can we just go? I hate eating alone and you are lonely. Do you know how well we would do together!?" Niel pulled her hands and guided her. 

"I am not lonely!" She refused. 

"Yes you are. The fact that you go to Cats Cafe alone just to pet cats and have drinks showed how lonely you are." Niel held her hands again and smiled charmingly. "Let's just take this as your first date in a few years." Niel just guessed that she hasn't been on a date for a few years but the truth is, she has never been on one. 

As they walked out of the building, Niel looked at his watch. "We have exactly 3 hours before Jun finishes his lessons." Niel was fond of his kingdergarten schedules that he could tell them without hesitation.

"I don't even know why I am following you and can you not hold my hand. You are younger than I am and you are disrespecting me." She said and tried to let her hands go. 

"There are 3 reasons why you are following me and I am pretty sure it is true. One, you are hungry and so am I. Second, this is your first date in a million years and you are in need of some love or company. Third, I want to repay your kindness for taking care of Jun for me. Thus, the date! My treat!" Niel said cheerfully. "About disrespecting you, I don't think so. We are on a date. Usually the man leads, so you just follow me alright? No questions." 

Niel brought her to a Chemistry Cafe that was opened recently at his neigborhood. It was a unique concept of dining in a lab. They entered the cafe and was greeted by waiters wearing labcoats. Namjoo and Niel took a seat after ordering their food. Niel decided to sit near the photobooth to take pictures and to get the best lighting. Namjoo looked around feeling fascinated by the interrior design of the cafe. 

"How did you know cafes like this exist?" She asked in amazement but doesn't even looked amazed. 

"Are you amazed?" He asked

"Partially. A part of me questions why would anyone eat at this cafe."

"People get hungry okay and it's cool. No other reasons. I mean look, where do you get to see people drinking from the conical flask?" He tried to defend his favorite cafe infront of Namjoo since she's a very complicated person. 

"They serve drinks in conical flasks?" She was surprised by the idea itself.

"They do!!" Niel smiled. 

When their food arrived, Namjoo took a picture of the meal and smiled. She thought Niel didn't saw her smiling because it's just so rare to smile in front of anyone else. 

"You don't take pictures of the meal if you hate the place." Niel said sarcastically. 

"Is it your problem?" Namjoo asked fiercely.

"Yes! Because you're killing my logic of basic ideology of human's feeling!" Niel started his sarcasm again.

"Can you stop being so sarcastic because I really feel like slapping you." Namjoo stressed out. 

"Gee~" 

As they were eating, Namjoo decided to actually start a conversation with Niel. 

"How old are you actually?" She asked.

"I am 20. I started high school 2 years late because I was always sick when I was in middle school. I know your next question is why do I live alone at 20? The reason is Jun because my father doesn't know he exist." He said. 

"How did you know Jun?" She started to get curious because, although she spent a night baby sitting him, she find him loveable.

"It was my last day of National Exam and so me and my friends went out for a drink and when I arrived infront of my house, he was there."

"That's it?"

"Yea, but he claimed to be my son. Like, I am only 20 and honestly, I can swear to you that I have never had before! How is it possible that he's my son?" Niel said and protested. 

"So you kept him because you felt sorry for him?" She asked.

"I tried leaving him once but, I felt sorry for him. However, the people from the welfare centre contacted me recently saying that I can't keep him if I don't go through legal procedure." Niel said. 

"So, will you go through the proccess?" 

"They gave me 3 months to think." Niel stopped chewing. "I don't know what to do." 

They were silent for a moment. "What about you? I mean, why do you live alone?" 

"I am this kind of person." She said trying to show that she's just better off alone. 

"You think you are better off alone but, you're feeling lonely." Niel said. 

"Fine, I might feel lonely but that doesn't mean I am desperately in need of someone to depend on. I am perfectly single." She said and took a sip of her drink. 

"Are you done? Cause, I wanna take you somewhere." Niel said.

 

=======================================

so how do you think about niel and namjoo?? ^^