Chapter 6: Child's Place

Rainy Day Romance

Charlotte's POV

After a week and a half of giving Jinsang the silent treatment I had finally forgiven him. Now we were watching movies on Netflix snuggled up close as it rained outside. 

In the middle of an action scene my phone started ringing, I answered it to hear Kai's voice on the other end, asking me if I could give him a ride to the hospital. I jump up at the sound of hospital, my mind went to something being wrong with him. 

"Yeah, sure are you okay?" I ask while I put on my boots and coat. 

"I'm fine, I'm going to the hospital for someone else" he explains and I calm down. 

Jinsang also puts on some sneakers and his coat and I grab an extra coat because I had a feeling Kai would need it, then we head off to pick him up. 

He was standing outside of the library, getting soaking wet, when he gets in the car I hand him the extra coat. 

"I knew you might need it" I tell him and he takes off his wet one and puts the dry one on. 

"Who is in the hospital Kai?" I question.

"My mother, she got alcohol provisioning and is getting her stomach pumped" he informs me.

"I hope she's okay" I respond and he just nods. 

Once we reach the hospital, Jinsang's phone starts beeping and I already knew what that meant. 

"Charlotte, stay here with Kai and I'll come get you later okay?"

"Okay" I get out with Kai and he rushes off. 

Kai and I go inside the hospital and I wait in the waiting room as Kai goes to see his mother, when he was about to go back there he tells me to come with him. 

"No it's fine" I say.

"I don't want you to sit here by yourself c'mon" he waves his hand and I get up and follow after him. 

When we go inside of his mother's room, I'm shocked to see Boss laying on the hospital bed. 

"Charlotte?" her eyebrow raises. 

"Hello Boss, I didn't know you were Kai's mother"

"Yes, how do you know Kai?"

"We ride on the bus together"

"Oh you're the friend he talks about" 

Kai's POV

"Are you okay Boss?" Charlotte asks my mom, by the way she was calling her Boss I figured she was the new secretary my mom talks about.

"Yes, I'm fine I just had some bad wine that's all. I'll be out of here in a few hours once they clear me to go" she's telling her when Woonha walks in. 

"Charlotte? What are you doing here?" he asks her.

"I came with Kai"

Then I realized the gorgeous, engaged secretary was Charlotte. 

I saw how his eyes were hungry for her, the way he stared at her while biting his bottom lip, I knew he was very attracted to her. 

I could tell he was thinking about still pursuing her, even though she was the fiance of his close friend. 

The nurse comes in and asks us politely to step out so they could begin her procedure.

I stand in between Woonha and Charlotte, I wasn't sure about my feelings for Charlotte but I didn't want Woonha to in while I was figuring them out. 

As we're waiting in the waiting room, Charlotte is telling me about the movie she was watching before I had called. 

"That sounds like an interesting movie" I comment. 

"Hey Kai if you don't mind me asking, why don't you study at home?" she whispers so Woonha doesn't hear. 

"It's never quiet in my house, there's always someone being loud and I can't concentrate"

"I could see that, Boss is very loud at work as well" 

"Why? You want me to stop studying at your house?" 

"Of course not, I like the company" she smiles and I just nod. 

"So Charlotte, let's take this time to get to know each other since my mother is forcing me to give you rides to work" 

"You don't have to give me rides, I'm fine with taking the bus" she says. 

"No I'm just joking, I don't mind giving you rides"

"Okay, if you're fine with it I'm fine with it. What do you want to know about me?"

"How old are you?"

"I just turned 23 in the beginning of January" 

"Kai's birthday was in January too. He turned 19, so young" he gives me this look. 

With that said, Charlotte gets a phone call and excuses herself. 

"What was the point of bringing up our ages?" I ask him

"I know you like her Kai! I was just giving you a reality check! She's 4 years older than you Kai"

"Who says I like her in that way? She's engaged anyway" 

"I know, but it gives me more of a challenge" he smirks. 

"I thought you said you weren't going to go after he because she's engaged to Jinsang" 

"I was, but I can't help myself. Just stay in a child's place Kai" he gets up to get something to drink and I stare at his back.