Chapter 5

Rainy Day Romance

Charlotte's POV

Crazy how Kai and I just seen Mrs. Lee in the store and now she's at our house. 

"Hello Chief Lee, Mrs. Lee" I say and let them in. 

"We're here for the dinner Jinsang promised me at work today so I'd let him have an early lunch" Chief declares as he hands me and his wife's coats.

I place them on the coat rack and put my flowers in the vase I pulled out. 

"You're early Chief" Jinsang says. 

"Well I got hungry so I came over, I'll wait for it to be ready, where's the television?" he asks. 

Jinsang shows them the couch and hands the Chief a remote. 

Kai's POV

I watch as Jinsang's Chief rudely intrudes into their house and sits on their couch. 

"When do you think dinner will be ready?" he asks Charlotte.

"You know what, since you won't wait long I'll order something" she assures him and he goes back to watching the TV screen, I see Mrs, Lee giving Charlotte a mean look. 

Jinsang and Charlotte make their way upstairs and I focus on my homework, but I soon lose focus when I feel their eyes on me. 

"Who are you?" the Chief asks me. 

"My name is Kim Jongin, I'm a friend of Charlotte's" I answer. 

"Why are you here?" 

"I come here to do homework since my house is too loud"

"Aren't you intruding on their personal time?" he keeps badgering me with questions. 

"No, they don't mind"

"I would" I hear him mumble to himself. 

Well it's not your house now is it?! 

Charlotte's POV

I order from the fanciest restaurant who delivers as Jinsang changes clothes. I hated when he just invited his Chief over, he was super obnoxious and rude. 

Once I'm done ordering, I just glare at Jinsang until he notices something's wrong. 

"What's wrong?" he asks.

"Why are they here Jinsang?"

"Charlotte, you heard him, I invited him so I could go to lunch early so I could see you"

"You could have told me, I would have started cooking something" 

"I was going to tell you, that's what I bought you flowers for, but they came earlier than I expected. Don't be mad at me" he gives me sad eyes. 

I smile, "I'm not mad" I help him with his tie and we go back downstairs to entertain them until the food got here. 

Kai's POV

I found it hard to concentrate when I was listening to the conversation between the Lee's and Charlotte and Jinsang. 

"You're looking good these days Charlotte" I hear the Chief say and he gives Charlotte this erted look. She smiles and thanks him. 

"Oh Chief Lee, I've been meaning to tell you, D.O is doing a magnificent job as my partner" Jinsang desperately tries to change the subject.

"Who?" he looks confused.

"D.O sir, Kyung Soo"

"Oh yes, the new guy. That's good to hear, I expect you to teach him well" 

"I intend to sir" 

It gets awkward as the Chief goes back to staring at Charlotte and Mrs. Lee keeps looking in her compact mirror, fixing herself. Finally the doorbell rings and Charlotte basically jumps up to answer it. 

Jinsang pays the delivery boy as Charlotte sets everything on the counters, I put away my school stuff and help her set the table. 

"This seems like it's going to be an interesting dinner" I tell her. 

"I hate his Chief, I get weird vibes off of him"

"I get the same vibe, no worries" I assure her. 

She smiles, "I'm glad there's someone else that feels it, Jinsang's oblivious to it" 

She then calls them over to the table and serves everyone before she serves herself. 

At first it was quiet, Mrs. Lee was looking at the food as if it was poison, Charlotte was playing with her food mostly, she was uncomfortable since the Chief was staring at her chest, and Jinsang was tapping his foot as he took bites of his food. 

"I can't eat all these calories!" Mrs. Lee complains. 

"I honestly don't think it has that many calories, the box says-" Charlotte begins but she's cut off my Mrs. Lee.

"If I eat this I'll gain weight, unlike some of us I take care of my body" she indirectly insults Charlotte. 

Charlotte stabs at her food and pretends like what she just said didn't bother her. 

"It looks like Charlotte takes good care of her body" the Chief comments, "really good"

"What are you trying to say, she looks better than me?" Mrs. Lee asks her husband. 

"No, now calm down and eat your food, Charlotte went through a lot to get it to us" 

"Jinsang, you like my body don't you?" she gives him this look and Charlotte looks up to hear his answer. 

He clears his throat, "Yes" he quickly answers. 

"Jinsang appreciates my body, that's why he's been seeing me behind your back" 

Charlotte freezes, "Excuse me?"

"Why do you keep doing this Haneul?"

"Because you never pay attention to me anymore! So I found someone who does, Jinsang!"

"Chief, it really wasn't anything, I bought her a few drinks and we kissed a few times but-"

"No need to explain Jinsang, she does this with all my men. You're probably the tenth person on the team she's done this too" 

"I'm ready to go home, take me home!" she gets up and storms off. 

"Thanks for the dinner, lovely seeing you Charlotte" he gives her a creep smile and rushes after Mrs. Lee. 

The door closes and Charlotte drops her chopsticks and gets up from the table. 

"Charlotte wait-" Jinsang says but she goes upstairs and slams the door. 

"I messed up big time" he says to himself and as he sits there pitifully I grab my backpack and get up from the table. 

"Uh, I'll see you later Jinsang" I awkwardly say and show myself the door. 

Charlotte's POV

I couldn't believe Jinsang, how could he do this to me?! I was pissed. 

"Charlotte, charlotte, let me in!" I hear Jinsang pleading on the other side of the door but I refuse to let him in. 

"Go away!" I yell back. 

As I bury my tear-stained face in my pillow I hear silence on the other side of the door. Seconds later I hear the lock turn and I remember the spare key I taped under the banister.

"Charlotte, please let me explain"

"Leave me alone Jinsang" I say into the pillow. 

"I only did it because Mrs. Lee said she'd make me lose my job if I didn't do whatever she said, I figured I couldn't get fired, how were we going to pay for our wedding if I got fired? I know it was wrong but please Charlotte I have no interest in Mrs. Lee, I think she's whiny and y and nothing compared to you. Please forgive me Charlotte I love you and only you" 

He had a point but I was still hurt. 

"I'm not ready to forgive you yet Jinsang" 

"Okay, I'll give you some space. I'll sleep in the guest room until you're ready to forgive me" he tells me and I hear the door close. 

Kai's POV

That next morning I waited for Charlotte at the bus station, I still wasn't over that intense dinner last night, it was almost as crazy as my family dinners. 

I see her approaching and she still looks down in the dumps but she gives me a half smile when she sits next to me. It's quiet as we wait for the bus, once it comes we get on and as I'm sitting with her on the bus she continues to not talk. 

Then I attempt to make her feel better. 

"Hey, you know how when we first met you told me you wanted a nickname, well I heard a good nickname for Charlotte is Charlie. You like it?"

"Charlie? It has a nice ring to it I guess" 

"Like "Good morning Charlie" "Nice weather we're having Charlie" "Looking good today Charlie!" I give some examples and she smiles at them. 

"I like it!" she declares

"Now you have a cool nickname"

"I'm pretty sure you're going to be the only one calling me by it though" she tells me. 

"I like it that way" I say.