Chapter 15: A Tragedy

Rainy Day Romance

"Kai's POV

"And then I suggested that instead of ordering 100 we order 200 and they thought it was a good idea, I'm doing pretty good at this job" Lola is telling me as I'm bringing her back from her lunch break.

"I'm so glad to hear that"

"And you know that girl who walked in on us kissing, she's an excellent secretary. She's super organized and if I need something she gets it in a flash"

"She sounds great"

"She is. Anyway I have to get back I'll see you after work" she kisses me on the cheek and goes up to her office

As I'm walking back to my car I see Charlotte coming from across the street. When she sees me she waves and walks over to me

"Visiting your girlfriend I see"

"Yeah I took her out to lunch"

"How cute, when I first started, Jinsang use to take me out to lunch, now he's too busy"

"Alright stop begging me I'll take you out to lunch" I say

She starts laughing "I totally didn't tell you that because I wanted you to take me out to lunch"

"Of course you didn't"

"Well I have to get back I'll see you later Kai" she waves goodbye and starts walking towards the building and I find myself staring at her.

I get in my car and drive back home, I see Woonha sitting on the couch watching a game show.

"Aren't you suppose to be at work?"

"I went home early, being the only male secretary is exhausting, all those ladies crowd around me all the time I need space yet they don't seem to understand that"

"I'm sorry to hear that but Woonha I have a real problem. I think I still have feelings for Charlotte but I mean I really like Lola too so what do I do?"

"I say you stay with Lola because Charlotte is still currently married Kai"

"I know she's married but isn't it wrong for me to keep seeing Lola knowing deep down I still love Charlotte? "

"As long as you don't act on your feelings, which you can't anyway because again she is currently married, I don't see a problem with it"

"I guess you're right"

"Of course I'm right"

We continue watching the game show until Woonha lets out this big sigh

"She's so pretty, that damn Jinsang sure is a lucky bastard to be married to her"

"You're telling me" I add

Charlotte's POV

When I got home I was surprised to see Jinsang's car in the driveway. I hurry inside to see Jinsang has flower petals on the floor leading to the dining room.

When I step foot in the dining room, I see Jinsang standing there with a bouquet of roses and a cheesy smile on his face. 

"What did I do to deserve all this?" I ask him 

"You're just a great wife, and I know I haven't been around lately and I wanted to make it up to you" 

He pulls my chair out and I sit, then he brings over two plates of food. 

"You made this?"

"No, I bought it, I figured you'd want it to taste good" 

I laugh a little and take my first bite, "Mhm it's good"

He smiles and takes a bite from his own plate. 

As we're eating he tells me about how hectic work has been ever since a new chief came in

"He supposedly knows everything because he's older than our old chief" he tells me. 

"I'm sorry to hear he's been working you guys so hard" 

"Yeah, but it's fine, I heard we were going to get a raise if we impress him, and I'm all for getting more money" 

Once we finish eating, we go upstairs and cuddle up as we watched our favorite movie. 

About a half hour into the movie, Jinsang falls asleep so I finish watching it by myself. 

When the movie goes off and I'm about to turn the TV off, my phone rings. I grab it to see it was Kai. 

I slowly move Jinsang's arm from around me and go to answer it in the hallway. 

"You do know it's like one in the morning right?" I answer it.

"I had a nightmare so now I can't sleep"

"Why don't you call Lola? This seems like a problem she could fix"

"I tried calling her but she wouldn't answer" 

"Well when I was younger my mom said if you tell someone about the nightmare, you won't ever have it again, so I'm all ears" 

Kai's POV

As I'm telling Charlotte about this crazy nightmare I had, I turn to see we had been on the phone for two hours. 

"Whoa, did you see what time it is?" I ask her.

"It's three in the morning, you drew me in with this strange dream" 

"I guess I should let you get some sleep" 

"Alright, good night Kai" 

"Good night Charlotte" 

After I hang up the phone I let out a deep sigh and rub my face. 

"That didn't help me get over her" I whisper to myself, but that night I went to sleep with a smile on my face. 

When I woke up that morning to get some breakfast, Woonha is just staring at me as he's getting ready for work

"What? Why are you staring at me?"

"I heard you having a late night chat with Charlotte? Did Jinsang know you called her that late?"

"I couldn't go to sleep and Lola wasn't answering"

"Don't try to fool me, I didn't hear you try to call Lola"

He caught me.

"Shut up! Just don't tell her I was on the phone with Charlotte last night" I demand.

"Hey, I'm no snitch, but just to get things straight, you are with Lola, and Charlotte is married to Jinsang"

"I know that Woonha, you don't have to tell me every day"

"Well you're acting like I have to"

"We're just friends!"

"Yeah in her mind, but yours is all screwed up"

"I can handle it, I don't need a lecture from a womanizer"

"Whatever, I'll see you after work" I watch as he leaves out the door.

When I see it's around the time to be lunch, I go to take Lola out. 

"The funniest thing happened at work today" she tells me as she takes a bite of her food. 

"What happened?"

"So Charlotte was telling me how one of the CEO's birthday was today and he thought no one remembered so during a meeting we all get on the topic of how great our past birthdays were and she turns to the CEO and says "So Mr. Park, when is your birthday?" but before he could answer we all break out into laughter and his secretary brings out a cake, you should have seen the look on his face when she asked" she's telling me this story in between laughs

"Sounds like a real fun day" 

"It was, I love working there, I mean Charlotte is just wonderful, I'm so glad she's my secretary" 

"Yeah she's fun to be around"

"Oh you know her on a personal level?" her mood changes.

"Well yeah, when my mom was her boss we were friends, and my brother is best friends with her husband so our family was close to her"

"You've never mentioned that before"

"I didn't think it was that big of a deal" 

"It's not, I didn't know she was married, I should have taken a closer look at her hand" 

"Yeah, she's married to a police officer" 

"I should get to know her better, she seems like a good friend to have" she says and it's time for me to take her back to work. 

When Lola get out of the car I see Charlotte walking down the sidewalk and I gaze at her, she was just so beautiful, and she looked so classy in her work outfits

She doesn't see me so she walks straight into the building.

Charlotte's POV

That morning I had woken up on the couch since I fell asleep on it once Kai and I stopped talking, so my back was a little sore. 

At lunch Jinsang had called while I was drinking a frappe at a small coffee shop 

"Hey I meant to ask you, why did you sleep on the couch? Did I do something wrong?" he brings it up

"No, I was talking to Kai and it was late so I just fell asleep on the couch"

"You were talking to Kai that late at night?"

"Yeah, he had a nightmare and couldn't go back to sleep, so he was telling me about the nightmare"

"Why didn't he just talk to Woonha or eat a sandwich or something?"

"I don't know, he tried to call his girlfriend but she didn't answer"

"Charlotte, I don't like the fact that you were talking to Kai on the phone instead of sleeping next to me last night"

"What are you trying to say? Did I do something wrong?"

"I'm just saying, he's told you he loved you before, I wouldn't be surprised if he still does"

"He doesn't he told me he moved on, and besides he has a very pretty model resembling girlfriend"

"Alright, well if you believe him, I have no other choice" he says with sarcasm, which pisses me off.

"I don't know what your problem is, but fix it before I see you at home tonight" I hang up on him and make my way back to work, I knew I should have never told him Kai confessed to me.

I see he tries to call me back but I reject his calls, then I eventually turn my phone off.

When I get off of work, I pull into my driveway to see a cop car, which was odd since Jinsang never drove his cop car home.

Kai's POV

I was at Lola's apartment and we were watching TV, well really we were making out on the couch as the TV played behind us. 

I wasn't really into the kiss though, because in the back of my mind I was thinking about Charlotte.

Lola must have noticed because shortly after she stopped. 

"What's wrong Jongin?" 

"Nothing, what makes you think something is wrong?"

"I don't know, you seem distracted, as if your mind is somewhere else"

"Well it's not" I assure her, but I was lying through my teeth. 

She gives me this look and I feel like I should tell her the truth about the relationship between Charlotte and I. 

"You remember today when I told you Charlotte and her husband were close to my family?"

She nods her head.

"I might have forgot to mention, at some point I was in love with Charlotte, and I confessed to her, but the feelings are gone I promise you" at least half of what I said was true

Lola just stares at me, and then I see tears forming in her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Lola I-" the sound of my phone ringing cuts me off.

It was Charlotte, and Lola knew it. 

"It's her isn't it?" she asks me as her tears spill over. 

"Yeah, but I won't answer it" I reject her call, "I'm sorry Lola I should have told you"

"Yeah you should of! You made me look like a idiot Jongin! I brag about you at work to the woman who you're in love with!" she screams at me. 

"I was going to tell you Lola" 

"Oh yeah when?!" 

Before I could answer my phone rings again, it's still Charlotte. I reject her call again. 

"Can you look me in the eye and honestly tell me you don't love her anymore?"

I look into her eyes and I try to tell her what she wants to hear but I couldn't do it. 

"Honestly, I don't know how I feel about Charlotte, I mean she's married so my feelings for her are fading" I get up and pace back and forth

"They're fading? So you do still love her?"

"I don't know Lola! Stop asking me that! I need time to think!"

My phone rings again, but this time it's a text from Charlotte, telling me something terrible happened and she needed to talk to me right now.

"What did she say?" Lola asks

"She said she needs to see me right now"

"Well tell her you're with me right now and can't go see her"

"She said something terrible happened"

"She has a husband doesn't she? He can help her"

Lola was right I guess, but still I felt like I needed to go see her. 

"Look I have to go" I grab my jacket and head for the door. 

"Jongin if you leave, it's over between us!" 

I stop in my tracks, "Why are you giving me an ultimatum?"

"Jongin, before you go rush to her side, what does Charlotte think you two are? I know she can't possibly love you back if she's happily married" 

"She thinks we're best friends, which is exactly what I think we are" 

"Well girlfriend trumps best friend, so if you leave I'll know you care about her more than me, and the difference between Charlotte and I is that I love you back Jongin!" 

 I turn and go back to the couch and sit next to Lola, "You're right" I say in a low voice and kiss her so she knew I was being sincere. 

We finish watching TV until Lola tells me she's getting pretty tired, so we say our goodnights and goodbyes.

When I get home, it's about three in the morning and the lights were still on, I wonder why Woonha was still up. 

I open the door to see him sitting on the couch with Charlotte, when he sees me he quickly comes towards me. 

"Good thing you're here, she just showed up looking for you, something happened to Jinsang, but she keeps crying and won't tell me what" he explains to me. 

I make my way over to her and hold her, I don't ask any questions I just let her cry some more, I feel her wrap her arms around me

I sat with her like that for about an hour, I felt like a terrible person because she really needed me and I stayed with Lola instead, but at the same time I didn't want Lola to be mad at me. 

Finally she gets it all out, and tells Woonha and I what happened. 

"When I got home there was a cop car in the driveway and I thought it was Jinsang, but it was his partner, and he told me Jinsang got shot and was in the hospital" 

"Charlotte I'm sorry, is he going to be okay?"

"I don't know, his crazy chief of police wouldn't let me in or tell me anything" 

"What? He does know you're his wife right?" Woonha comments.

"Yeah, he said something about Jinsang was vulnerable and no one was allowed to see him in that state, the man's a total whack job" 

"I'm sure he's going to be okay Charlotte, don't worry"

"Why weren't you answering my calls?" she looks up and makes eye contact with me for the first time since I've been home. 

"It was on silent" I couldn't tell her the truth, not while she was all broke up about Jinsang. 

"I'm sorry to keep you guys up, I just couldn't sit at home alone knowing Jinsang was hurt" she says to Woonha. 

"No don't apologize, we don't mind at all" he assures her, "you can stay here tonight if you want, it's pretty late and it's pouring outside" 

"Thanks, you guys are the best" 

Woonha goes to get her a pillow and blanket so she could sleep on the couch, as I go get her something to sleep in. 

"I owe you guys big time" she says as she gets under the blanket 

"No, you don't owe us anything Charlotte, we're happy to have you here" I tell her, and Woonha grabs my arm and tells her goodnight, and I do the same as he pulls me away. 

"What's your problem Woonha?" I say when he drags me into his room. 

"I don't want you to strengthen this one-sided love because she's grateful we let her stay here, don't take it the wrong way all this nice stuff she's saying to us"

"I'm not an idiot Woonha, I know she's just being grateful, leave me alone, you and Lola are starting to bug me"

"What do you mean Lola is bugging you? She knows about you and Charlotte?"

"Well yeah, I couldn't lie to her, she's my girlfriend"

"Correction you are an idiot! She's Charlotte's boss, what if she gives her a hard time at work, those secretaries already sling endless insults at her, the last thing she needs it a mean boss"

"Lola isn't like that, and plus you're there, if you see Lola being rude to her just help her out"

"Why should I? You're the one who is going to cause it"

"I didn't cause anything because nothing is going to happen between Lola and Charlotte, I happen to know Lola really likes Charlotte"

He mumbles something under his breath an go towards his bed, and I go into my own room. 

While I was tossing and turning, I feel a tap on my shoulder. I look up to see Charlotte. 

"What's wrong?"

"Can I sleep in here? That couch is harder than concrete" 

"Uh, yeah sure" I scoot over. 

"Oh I meant we switched places, I sleep in here and you take the couch, I don't want to make things uncomfortable for you" 

"No it's fine, things won't be uncomfortable, I mean unless you think it's awkward" 

"No I don't think it's awkward, as long as no one feels uncomfortable" she says and climbs in next to me. 

The second I feel her next to me my heart goes into a beating frenzy

"Goodnight Kai" 

"Goodnight Charlie" I respond

"Hey you called me by my nickname" 

"Yeah, I know it makes you feel better" 

"I'm glad we're friends again" is the last thing I hear her say before she starts to lightly snore

"I'm glad too" I whisper to myself and calm my heart down enough to fall asleep.