Chapter 14

Rainy Day Romance

Charlotte's POV 

I chased Kai down, and saw him about to get into his car. 

"Kai, wait!" I yell to him and he looks up at me. 

"Yes?"

"I just wanted to say hi, I haven't seen you in forever" 

"Hi, well I have to go if that's all you wanted to say" he had this really hostile tone with me.

"Wait Kai, are you mad at me?"

"Not only am I mad at you Charlotte, I hate you" he says with a straight face.

He then gets in his car and drives away.

"He hates me?" I felt like I was about to cry. 

I go back up to the office and just replay Kai saying he hated in my mind, over and over. 

My phone rings and it's Lola asking me to come in her office, I wasn't going to tell on her if that's what she wanted to talk about, it's not like I never saw Boss Kim doing something she shouldn't have been doing in her office. 

"Yes Lola?"

"I just wanted to tell you that what you just saw will never happen again, I promise you"

"Lola, it's completely okay, I've seen worse here at the office with these other bosses, you're fine, I'm not going to tell anyone" 

"Okay, I just don't want you to think I'm not professional or anything"

"No, I'm not that judgmental" 

"He just makes me feel like I'm 19 years old again" she goes on to talking about Kai, which is not who I wanted to hear about at this moment. 

"If you don't mind me asking, how old are you Lola?"

"I'm 25, he's 19" 

"I see you like them young?" I joke and it puts a smile on her face. 

"He's actually the youngest I've dated, usually I date older men, but it's something about Jongin"

"That's nice to hear, you know his mother was my previous boss"

"Yeah I know, she's the one who gave me this job" 

"Really? Do you know why she left?"

"Yeah, she moved to the States with her husband"

"She didn't even tell me goodbye, it's fine though" on that note, I get back to my desk and finish paperwork until it's time to clock out. 

As I'm putting on my coat, I turn to see a familiar face.

"Charlotte?" 

"Hi Woonha, long time no see, you work here now?"

"Yeah I do, welcome back to the office, I heard you came back but didn't see you yesterday"

"I left early yesterday"

"Well I'm on my way out, did you eat yet?" 

"I had lunch, but I am kind of hungry"

"Well I want to hear all about you and Jinsang's married life" 

I drive my car home first, with him following behind me, then I get in his car and we drive to his house. 

He lived in an apartment, it was pretty big. 

"So how have you two love birds been up to?" he asks me as he hands me a dinner plate. 

"Well we moved into a bigger house, and Jinsang's been working hard in the police field" 

"Yeah, I haven't seen him in a while either, but he's still my best friend nevertheless" 

"Next time he's home I'll invite-" I stop my sentence when I hear someone come in the door, it was Kai. 

He was staring at me, then he goes to a room and slams the door. 

"Oh yeah, Kai lives with me, I forgot to mention that" 

"I saw him today, he's dating my boss"

"That boy definitely likes his women older" he says

"Yeah they're like six years apart" 

"You started it though" he jokes. 

"I did?"

"Yeah, before he met you he went out with girls his own age" 

He comes back out and grabs something from the fridge then goes to watch TV. 

"Charlotte's here Kai, aren't you going to say hi?"

"No" 

"What happened between you two?" Woonha asks me. 

"That's none of your business Woonha" Kai answers.

"I asked Charlotte" 

"Nothing happened" I lie. 

"Nothing? I don't believe that" 

"I think I should go now, thanks for the dinner Woonha"

"No problem, I'll see you later, tell Jinsang I said hi" 

"Will do" I say and leave out the door. 

Kai's POV

I watched as Charlotte left our apartment. 

"Thanks for scaring her off Kai" Woonha whines. 

"Well I didn't want her around me" 

"When are you going to tell me what happened between you guys?"

"You were right that's what happened"

"What do you mean?"

"I should have listened to you when you said I was too young for her, it would have saved me a heartbreak"

"Heartbreak huh? You really loved her didn't you? I thought it was just a crush"  

"I don't want to talk about it, it was three months ago" 

I look out the window to see Charlotte sitting on the curb, not to mention it was raining. I can't help but feel bad.

"Hey can I borrow the car keys?" I asked Woonha, he tosses them to me, I grab an umbrella before I leave out the door

I walk over to Charlotte, who at this point was soaking wet, and I hold the umbrella over her. 

She looks up at me, and I flashback to when I held an umbrella over her when those kids broke hers, she gave me the same smile she gave me back then. 

"Do you need a ride home?"

"I called a cab"

"Well I'll wait with you" I sit on the wet curb with her, holding the umbrella over us. 

"Do you really hate me Kai?" she asks me. 

"No, I was just hurt" 

"I'm sorry" 

"Why are you apologizing? I should be apologizing"

"No, you have no reason to apologize to me, I shouldn't have freaked out like that when you told me you loved me, I didn't mean to say we shouldn't be friends anymore"

"I shouldn't have did that the day before your wedding, I know how nervous you probably were" 

"I was really nervous, so nervous I forgot to bring my bouquet to my wedding" she laughs 

I laugh a little, her smile was just as radiant as I remembered. 

I seen the cab pull up and we stand up. 

"Let's be friends again? If that's okay with you, I'll understand if you don't"

"I don't want to be friends again, I want to be Dance Central playing, bus riding, aquarium visiting best friends " 

She smiles and opens the door to the cab. 

"Uhm Kai?" she looks over to me.

"Yes?"

"Do you...do you still feel that way about me?"

I knew she was referring to me being in love with her, I wasn't sure if I should tell her the truth or not

"Of course not, just forget about that whole thing I've moved on, no worries" I explain

"Okay, I just didn't want it to be awkward between us"

"No, the feelings are gone"

"Alright, we'll I'll see you later" she gets in the cab

I wave to her as she drives off. 

As I'm walking back up to the apartment, I feel my pounding heartbeat start to calm down.