Chapter 18: Exposed

Rainy Day Romance

Charlotte's POV

When Kai and I walk back to my house I get a phone call from the hospital, the nurse said Jinsang had woken up and was asking for me. 

We get in Kai's car quickly and head over there.

Once we arrive, the nurse leads me to Jinsang's room as Kai waits for me outside. She opens the door and I see this woman sitting next to Jinsang, and before we walked in they were holding hands, but I wasn't going to question him, he just had a life-threatening moment. 

"It's my Charlotte, just seeing your beautiful face has made all the pain go away" he tells me

"Seeing your face has relieved all my worries" I say then kiss him on the forehead

"I'll leave you two alone" the woman says then she walks out the door. 

"Who was that Jinsang?"

"A friend, she brought me breakfast" 

"Oh how sweet of her, I'm sorry I'm empty handed but I came over here as fast as I could"

"No don't worry about it, just you being here is all I need" 

"So how did this happen to you?" 

"Well I was patrolling in the cop car when I see this car slowly drive past us, and I see a gun and they were able to shot me once in the arm before my partner and I duck down" 

"That sounds so scary, I'm glad he didn't shot you somewhere more important" 

"You and me both, were you able to get some sleep? I know it must have kept you up all night worrying" 

"About that" I didn't want to lie to him, but the whole reason why I wasn't answering my phone when he get shot was because he was complaining about Kai and I. 

"What?" he waits to hear what I have to say. 

"I kind of slept over at Kai and Woonha's apartment" I slowly confess

He just starts laughing, "You must be joking" 

"I'm not, I only slept over because I went over there when I was worried about you and needed someone to talk to, and they offered to let me sleep over because it was pouring rain, I slept on the couch though" everything I said was true, I was on the couch for a good ten minutes, I just chose not to tell him where I slept the rest of the night. 

"You know if I was more focused on the job and not about you and Kai this probably wouldn't have happened"

"So you're saying I'm why you got shot?"

"In a way yeah" 

"Why does me being friends with Kai bother you so much, he told me he doesn't have feelings for me anymore"

"How gullible can you be Charlotte, obviously he was lying"

"Even if he was, can't you trust I won't do anything with him while I'm married to you, I'm not some two-timer" 

"I just don't like you having guys around you period"

"Oh but it's okay for me to walk in here and see you holding some girl's hand who brought you breakfast! Who is she to be buying you breakfast?!" I didn't realize how loud I was getting. 

"She's just a friend! I already told you that, you want me to trust you but you can't trust me"

"I've never given you a reason not to trust me but I'll have you recall when we were engaged that lovely dinner we had with your old chief and his wife who claimed you two were in fact seeing each other behind my back"

"Are you going to hold onto that forever? I already explained the situation!" 

"And I explained my situation with Kai!"

"Fine I'll stop bringing it up"

"That would be much appreciated" I calm my voice down. 

I didn't like fighting with Jinsang

"I'm sorry I yelled at you, I mean you are in the hospital" 

"Yeah I am" he still had an attitude with me even though I had just apologized. 

"Well how about I come back later" I get up and leave out the door. 

Kai's POV

As I see Charlotte walking towards me, she looked upset, I thought she'd come out with a smile since her husband was okay. 

"You okay?" I ask her and she just nods. 

We get back in my and I drive her to our apartment to get her stuff. 

"Kai, did you see that woman who came out of Jinsang's room?" she asks me before we get of the car

"Was it the Asian woman who had on a short black dress?"

"Yeah her"

"Yeah I saw her, what about her?"

"Did you think she was pretty?"

"Umm I don't know, I only saw her for a second" 

"She was holding Jinsang's hand when I walked in with the nurse"

"I'm sure it wasn't anything" 

"Yeah, you're probably right" she says then we get out of the car. 

"Hey wait, is that why you came out looking so upset?" he asks me as he starts the car

"It's just..." she begins but looks down at her feet

"It's just what? C'mon you can tell me" 

She looks back up and me and I see her eyes were watery. 

"It's just that when I see girls like that around Jinsang I can't help but think that he'd rather be with a skinny, pale skin, silky haired Asian woman than be with me" when she says this she stares straight ahead, I could tell opening up about her insecurities was difficult

"How long have you been feeling like that?" I ask her so she could get it off her chest

"I don't want to talk about it anymore" she looks out the window, I see her wipe her face. 

We arrive at the apartment and I stop her before she goes in the building

"Charlotte?"

"Yeah?" she looks back at me

"If it makes you feel better I think you're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen"

She laughs it off, which was better than seeing her sad 

"What about your girlfriend?" she says. 

Honestly at that moment, Lola was the last thing on my mind. 

"The thing is Charlotte, I'm still in love with you" I rub the back of my neck, the first time I did this I didn't see her for three months. 

She doesn't say anything, she just stares at me then gets in her car and drives away. 

"Damn, did I just screw everything up again?!" I yell and aggressively run my hands through my hair. 

Charlotte's POV

I had a feeling Kai was going to confess to me all over again, but I didn't want to say anything I didn't mean this time, so I just stayed quiet and left. 

I just needed time to think, my mind was not on the same page as my heart. My mind was telling me that I shouldn't end my marriage with the man I've been in love with for five years, and my heart was telling me that Kai is the one I should be with. 

To take my mind off of things I clean the house and throw all our boxes away. 

It takes me about three hours to get the entire house clean, and I finally sit down and take a breather. 

I see it was raining once again, it was raining pretty hard too. As I'm looking at the rain out the window, I see a car stop in front of our house. 

I watch as that woman from before helps Jinsang to the door, I go over to open the door for them.

"Thanks for helping me" he tells the woman and walks in.

"You've been such a help to my husband, why don't you come in until the rain stops, I just made some hot chocolate" I offer, deep down I wanted to punch her

"That would be nice, thank you" she smiles at me and I give her a phony one back. 

"So, what was your name again?" I ask her, we were all sitting in the living room, drinking hot chocolate. 

"Well my American name is Jennifer, my friends call me Jenny" 

"That's a nice name" I slowly sip my hot chocolate.

"Charlotte is also a pretty name"

"Oh you know my name?" I was surprised Jinsang said anything about me

"Yeah, Jinsang talks about you all the time"

"He does? He's never told me about you though" 

"We just met, I'm a new secretary at the police station" 

"I see" I take another slow sip from my hot chocolate as I shot daggers at her with my eyes

"Are you this close with all the other police officers?" 

She looked over at Jinsang, she had a nervous look on her face. 

"Charlotte, my lovely wife, can I have some more hot chocolate?"

"Of course my love" I take his cup and go into the kitchen

I turn my back, and in the reflection of the glass cabinet I see them whisper to one another, I scoot closer and listen to them

"Just answer her questions without telling her about us" I hear Jinsang whisper

"I don't feel comfortable Jinsang, I think I should just leave" 

I watch as she grabs her coat and gets up, before I leave the kitchen I shove some laxatives in these cookies and place them on a tray

"Where are you going?" I give her this plastic Barbie-like grin

"I should be heading home soon"

"But the rain hasn't stop, I insist you stay until it at least lets up" 

She sits back down.

"Cookie?" I offer.

"Chocolate chip, my favorite" she shoves it in . 

"I'd like one too" Jinsang says, I hand him two. 

"I'll be right back" I go upstairs and lock all the bathroom doors, then lock the one downstairs. 

"So you never answered my question, are you close with all the other police officers?" I sip my chocolate, waiting for the laxatives to take place. 

"Yeah, we're all like a big, happy family" she answers

"That's nice" I smile. 

I see her grab her stomach.

"Where's the bathroom?"

"Down the hall, to your left" I instruct her. 

Seconds later I hear her jerk the doorknob, desperately trying to get it open. 

"I think it's locked" she yells.

"What? It can't be, just jiggle the knob" 

While she was busy with that, I stare at Jinsang and wait for his laxative cookie to kick in. 

"You're cheating on me with her, aren't you?" I look him in the eye and sip my hot chocolate. 

"No, why would you ask me that?" he gets an attitude.

"I'm not an idiot Jinsang, I heard you two in the kitchen!" 

"Look just let me explain" he drops the attitude after he realizes he was caught. 

"There's nothing to explain, I'm tired of you treating me like " I grab my raincoat and rain boots. 

"Oh and speaking of , I put laxative in the cookies,locked all the bathroom doors, and hid the keys, have fun ting your pants" I wave and leave out in the rain. 

I look down at my ring, I take it off and throw it to the ground before I get in my car and drive off.