Chapter 11: Heartbeat

Rainy Day Romance

Kai's POV

Ever since Charlotte told me I was her best friend, my feelings for her were coming back, but I wish they hadn't. 

It was the beginning of March and they were going to get married in June, I needed to lose these feelings before she becomes Jinsang's wife. 

I was walking out of school and I see Charlotte leaning on her car, waiting for me I was assuming. 

When she sees me she starts waving at me with a huge smile on her face. 

"What brings you here?" I ask her. 

"Your mother, she wants to see you. Hop in" 

As were riding in Charlotte's car, I realize this is the first time I've been in it. 

"It's pretty comfy in here" I comment. 

"Yeah? This is your first time aboard the Charlotte express isn't it?"

"It is"

"Well I'm going to have to see a ticket" she holds out her hand.

"I think I lost it"

"Well cash will do" she jokes and puts her hand down. 

We arrive at her job and everyone greets me, I hadn't been in here for a while. 

Once I get to my mother's office, Charlotte closes the door behind me. 

"I'm sure you're aware it's your father's birthday dinner, go out and buy a decent suit, we don't want to embarrass him in front of his friends" she hands me an envelope with money in it, "Charlotte will drive you"

"Did you get in trouble?" she whispers to me.

"No, I have to go get a suit" 

"What for?"

"My stepdad's birthday dinner"

"Oh sounds fun" she says with a hint of sarcasm. 

"I was told you have to drive me" 

"Okay let's-" she was interrupted by a girl slamming papers onto her desk. 

"Can you make copies?" the girl asks me. 

"Was I told to do it or you?"

"I was, but I'm going on lunch right now, I'm sure you're not doing anything" she gives her this fake smile. 

Charlotte takes the stack and I follow her to the copy room. 

"Why don't you just give it back to her? If she's suppose to do it, make her do it" I tell her as she starts the machine up.

"Then she'll just get all the secretaries to gang up on me and call me lazy" 

"Lazy? I highly doubt you're lazy"

"I'm not but they call me lazy all the time, they're all out to get me" she tells me. 

"Why?"

"I don't know, because they have nothing better to do"

She finishes making copies after about half an hour passes and puts them on the desk of the girl from before. 

"There you go" Charlotte gives her a fake smile and we head out the building. 

When we get to the suit place, Charlotte helps me look for one that my mother will like. 

My arms are full of suits and we head to the dressing rooms. 

Charlotte would either give me a thumbs up or down, so far they've all been thumbs down. 

Finally she gives me a thumbs up, I take a second look at it, and it wasn't that bad. 

"I like it, you look great" she comments. 

"I guess this one it is" I go to take it off and pay for it. 

I had a few bucks left over, so I treated Charlotte to some ramen. 

"I remember when I first moved to South Korea, all we ate was ramen" she tells me. 

"Why? Your mom couldn't cook?"

She laughs a little, "Exactly" 

Once we're done she drives me back to my mom's office so I could ger her seal of approval on the suit. 

"Looks nice, you made a good choice" she tells me. 

"Charlotte helped me pick it out" I give the credit where it's due. 

"That was nice of her, she so sweet"

"Yeah she is" 

"We should invite her and Jinsang to the party, Jinsang's known your father for a while now"

She calls her in, and hands her a paper with the time and what kind of present to bring. 

"Thanks for the invite, I'll tell Jinsang"

"You're welcome, it'll be a pleasure having the two of you there" my mother gives her a big smile, "oh and Charlotte?"

"Yes?"

"Can you give Kai a ride home since you're on your way home?"

"Sure no problem"  

As we're getting in her car she asks if I'll help her go pick out a gift for my stepdad. 

"On the paper Boss Kim wrote it should be a watch, formal clothes, or an electronic but not a phone" she reads off as we enter the mall. 

"I bought him a tie" I share

"I guess I could get him a watch, I'm using Jinsang's card anyway" she grins and holds it up. 

We head into the nearest shop that sells watches and look around. 

"This is a nice watch" she points one out, "do you think he'll like it?"

"Yeah, I could see him wearing that" 

Without hesitating she tells the worker to give her the watch and we go to pay for it. 

After we leave the mall, Charlotte drops me off and tells me she'll see me later.

Charlotte's POV

When I get home, I see Jinsang walking out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his waist. 

"Welcome home" he tells me and I swoon a little, "you liked that?" he asks me

"I loved it, greet me like that everyday" I request.

"What's in the bag? A gift for me? You shouldn't have" he grabs for the bag.

"It's for Boss Kim's husband, we were invited to his birthday dinner, so put on some fancy clothes" 

"What did you get him?" he asks as he makes his way over to the closet. 

"A watch"

"Sounds like a great gift" he says with sarcasm. 

"For your information, I was told to get him a watch, so your sarcasm is unnecessary" I make my point. 

He laughs and pulls out this suit he wore to meet my parents

"Hey, I remember this" I say. 

"It's my lucky suit, it made your parents like me" 

"Was it the suit or your kissing?" 

We both laugh, knowing which was the answer and I go to see what I should wear for tonight. 

I pick out a nice long-sleeved red dress, I was told it might rain tonight. 

It took me forever to get ready, Jinsang was in his suit by the time I started on my hair. I was going to straighten it but it might rain so I went with a nice bun, then I had to do my make up, find the right shoes, and set the DVR to record this new show I planned on watching. 

Once all that was done, I was ready to go, Jinsang rushed me to the car, saying we were going to be late. 

We took his car, since he claimed he could still get us there on time. 

When we arrive, Boss Kim takes our coats and we follow her to the living room, and wait for dinner to be ready. 

"Hello Mr. Kim, happy birthday" Jinsang tells him.

"Thanks Jinsang, is this the lovely fiance I've heard about?"

"It sure it, this is Charlotte. Charlotte this is Mr. Kim" 

I shake his hand and flash him a smile, then we sit down. I see Kai across the room and wave at him, he gives me a small wave back. 

"You look nice" he mouths to me, I mouth back a "Thanks you too" 

Kai's POV

When I saw Charlotte walk in my heart started beating rapidly, she just looked so gorgeous. I couldn't take my eyes off of her, and from the looks of it neither could Woonha who was sitting next to me. 

"Damn, she looks hot" I hear him say under his breath, "Jinsang is one lucky man" 

I shake my head and pretend he's not sitting next to me as I avert my attention back to Charlotte, who now was whispering into Jinsang's ear and they both giggle to one another. All while we were waiting, they kept whispering into each other's ears.

I felt myself getting irritated so I put my focus towards something else, unfortunately nothing else caught my attention but those two, so I was staring at the rain falling outside.

 Finally my mother announced the food was ready and that we could join her in the dining room. 

As were eating, I keep glancing over at Charlotte, she was just glowing, her smile so radiant. 

Get a hold of yourself Kai

After we finished eating, I hear people complimenting my mother on her cooking, and the other half asking my stepfather about work. 

Soon we move on to the presents, all the presents fell exactly into the categories my mother told Charlotte to buy him. 

How controlling.

Once he was done opening presents, we all went back into the living room, I could tell my stepfather had a little too much to drink, him and his buddies were having a laughing fest, while my mother stared at them all with her arms crosses but she wore a fake smile, as if his drinking wasn't bothering her. 

"Jinsang you'll never guess what I found?" Woonha hits him on the shoulder, then leads him upstairs to our room. 

Which left just me and Charlotte. 

"I think Mr Kim liked my watch...and the other five he got" she tells me. 

"Hey, at least he didn't get 10 ties" 

We both laugh. 

"Boss Kim looks like a vein is about to pop, she must not be a fan of your stepfather's drinking habits"

"Not at all, she hates when he gets like this, but she can't stop him, it's his birthday" 

I look over and since she was talking low she was leaned in towards me

"It must be killing her, I've never seen her this calm at the office" she turns to face me and her face is an inch away from mine, and I felt my heart start to pound fast again. 

I just nod my head, she was making me too nervous to talk. 

I just kept staring at her lips as she was talking to me, I was tempted to lean in and kiss her. 

"Did you hear me Kai?" I zone back in. 

"Huh?"

"I said, where's the bathroom?"

"Oh it's down that hall, the first door to your left" I instruct. 

"Thanks, I'll be back"

"Take you time" I say, I needed some time to calm my heart rate down.