Chapter 22

Rainy Day Romance

Charlotte's POV

As I stared at the note Kai left while I was drinking my morning coffee, a million questions are going through my head 

I finally put it down when I hear my phone ring

It was Lola, probably calling to schedule another lunch date

"Good morning Charlotte" she sings into the phone, "Are you busy? Let's go have breakfast"

"No, it's alright"

"Oh c'mon don't be like that, I'm sorry I canceled, yesterday was a busy day"

"Alright fine, but if you are even a minute late I'm leaving"

"Okay, I'll be there early!"

She gives me the address and we hang up the phone 

As I get ready, I ponder if I should show up late just to give her a taste of her own medicine

But what good will that do?

When I'm about to head out of the door, I say bye to Champ and grab a puzzle book that was sitting on a table near my door. 

"Just in case" I say as I slip it into my purse

 I was a few minutes late since I had to take a detour when I came across a blocked road

I walk into the small diner and look around for Lola

Surprise, surprise she was no where to be found. 

On my way out the door she texts me and says to get a booth and she was only a few seconds away from the diner.

I go to sit in a booth and ask the waitress for a glass of water. 

Scrolling through my gallery, I hear a deep voice say "Charlotte?"

I look up to see Jinsang. 

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to tell you Lola isn't coming, she never was I asked her to invite you here so I could see you" 

As he was talking to me, he didn't look so good. 

He was pale and lost a lot of weight.

"Are you okay? You look a bit..."

"Terrible" he finishes my sentence as he sits down

"Kind of" 

"I know, ever since you left my life has went downhill" 

"Like how?" I brace myself to hear all the bad things

"Well for starters I got temporarily laid off from my job, I lost our house and now I live in this awful apartment, and I haven't eaten in a week" 

One part of me was hurting for him and another part was thinking Karma was powerful 

"I'm sorry to hear all of that"

"Charlotte, I left you that surprise at your apartment yesterday, I spent the last bit of money I had to get that for you" 

"Why did you put Kai's name on it then?"

"Because I knew you would probably rather hear from him than me" 

He was right. 

"Anyway I wanted to see you because I need you back in my life Charlotte, I can't go on without you" 

"Jinsang, you-"

"I know I made a mistake but can you please come back to me, I feel like I'm slowly dying without you" 

It's like he knew exactly what to say to make me feel bad. 

"Come with me" I get up and we leave the restaurant. 

I drive him back to my apartment and heat up some take-out from him. 

I sit across from him and watch as he eats, silently thinking to myself what I was going to do. 

"I'll be back" I tell him and go to make a phone call. 

I call Woonha, since he was the only person who might know where Kai was and when he planned on coming back. 

"Hello?" I hear him say 

"Hi Woonha, it's me Charlotte"

"Charlotte? I haven't hear from you in a while, how have you been?"

"I'm fine, how about yourself?"

"I'm managing, I don't know how you lasted being a secretary so long, it's quite boring"

I laugh a little, "I never saw it as boring"

"Well it it. Anyway, why are you calling?"

"I just wanted to know if you heard anything from Kai?"

"The only thing I have is a post card from him. It's from the States, he wrote he was doing fine and he might not return for a while, but he didn't want you to know that because he put "Don't tell Charlotte" at the end" 

"How long is a while?"

"I have no idea, but if I were you I would just move on"

"Thanks for the advice, well I'll call you again soon" we say our goodbyes and hang up.

I go back to the kitchen to see Jinsang washing the dishes he ate the take-out off. 

He looks over and smiles at me and I give him a small grin back. 

"I guess you could stay here for a while" I say, "until you get better" 

"Really? You don't know how much that means to me" 

Soon Champ comes from my bedroom and he goes up to Jinsang, his tail in a wagging frenzy. He reaches down and pets his head. 

"Hello there, what's his name?"

"Champ"

"Hello there Champ, I'm Jinsang" 

Champ liked him a lot, he didn't usually like people. he was scared of everyone. 

I watched as he played with him and his huge goofy smile. 

Should I just be with Jinsang?