Thankful

(un)optional [EDITING]

Jamie opened her door with shaky hands. She was hyperventilating; the blood was already dried out at the corner of her lips, was sore from crying. A painful sensation ripped through as she hiccupped as she once again broke down in sobs. Immediately dropping her bag onto the cold suface of the entryway, taking off her shoes hastily, Jamie strode quickly over to her wardrobe. She yanked it open with sheer force and grabbed some random clothing pieces before making her way to the bathroom. Once she entered the cleansing premise, she took off her clothes in record time and settled herself inside the shower. Jamie opened the tap in hurry as hot water came down, enough to make a normal person jumped. 

She scrubbed her skin vigorously while sobbing continuously. It had been a good 1 hour ever since the angry sobs broke through the apartment. Jamie was now, more like, torturing herself. She was abusing her own complexion as the hot water already reddened her skin more than what other considered normal but the scrubbing only worsened the color of her skin. There would be no surprise if her skin would turn out to be purple tomorrow.

“Gett … offff! Get! Off! GET OFFF!!!” She shouted as she continued to scrub the spot they had touched her. The desperation in her voice was heard clearly as she cried out. She kept abusing her skin but the dirty feeling didn’t go away no matter how hard she tried.

“Get off. Get… it… off.” She whimpered and dropped the sponge. She curled up in a ball at the corner inside the shower and cried louder, harder than behind. The fears slowly came back when one by one of her wounds ached. Once she settled down into hiccups and sniffles, she shifted her body lightly to stand up, only to hit by a wave of pain from her bruised lower back. She gripped onto the shower doors handles for support as she limped her way out and dressed herself.

She plopped down onto her bed, ignored the fact that her head was still wet. She didn’t know if she could trust herself to behave normal in front of Tao, what could she do now when the possibility those guys could come back and do the exact same thing but maybe next time she wouldn’t be so lucky. Jamie soon fell into oblivion as nightmares hit her the first time in years.

She woke up next morning with an aching body. She yelped in pain as she rolled her body onto the sides. Apparently, the bruises on her arms only now fully took effect. Sliding out of bed with much difficulty, she reached out to her phone to check the time. Then it struck her that she had an appointment with Tao at 10 and it was already 9 30. When she was about to text him and told him she couldn’t make it, a text from Tao arrived. It was filled with happiness and excitements for their first hang out together. Tao even told her he had a surprise for her. She didn’t have the heart to deny the boy when he was looking forward to this so much. She wouldn’t want to disappoint her friend. And in addition, apart from bruises which she could handle, her ity was still intact and it’s not like the first time somebody touched her ually. She decided to just put the incident aside even though her body shook in fear as she recalled it.

She cussed aloud and she darted to the wardrobe to find a suitable outfit. She needed to wear something with long sleeves to hide the wounds despite the 35 degree Celsius weather. Jamie settled for a thin white long-sleeve sweater and grey washed denim jeans. She pulled out the brand new foundation her mom bought for her sweet 16 that she never touched. She covered the bruises quite nicely even though for a first-timer. She admired her handiwork for a short moment before running back to the bedroom to grab her favorite brown messenger bag. Jamie quickly shoved some essential items into the bag and raced to the door. Checking the time on her phone, she still had a good 15 minute to reach Starbucks. She put on her Dr. Marten cherry red combat boots and sprinted out of her apartment.

When Jamie arrived at Starbucks, Tao was already there. Standing outside the coffee shop, he looked strikingly handsome with a simple white V-neck, navy blue skinnies and silver Gucci hi-top lace-up sneakers. What?? Silver Gucci hi-top lace-up sneakerssss?? Well Jamie had quite an obsession for sneakers and boots. She was quite a tomboy at heart which explained why her face immediately lit up as she spotted the sneakers. She ran to Tao with a bright grin. Tao was taken aback by the sudden good mood and was even more surprised as Jamie excitedly squealed.

“Is that Gucci hi-top lace-up sneakers?!!”

“Y-Yes?”

“Oh my god. They look so much nicer in real life!!”

“Really?? Thank you!” Tao grinned as he looked at his shoes. He thought it might be a good idea to wear them this time since he could finally see Jamie’s genuine smile.

“I guess I made a good choice.” He said his thought aloud.

“Eh?”

“I made a good choice of shoes since I got to see your real smile.” Tao pointed out.

Jamie’s cheeks immediately went bright red. She cleared while shifting back to her infamous poker face.

“Let’s go in.”

“Go in?”

“The shop?”

“We’re not doing that today.”

“Then?”

“Come on.”

As soon as Tao finished, he grabbed Jamie’s hands and led the way. She didn’t fail to blush even though she was startled by the sudden pull. They went across several coffee shops, bakeries and restaurant until Tao stopped at one particular shop that had Jamie grinned like a little child.

“Let’s go.” Tao chuckled.

Jamie tried not to jump up in excitement as she went down the stairs. She was greeted by the cozy interior which she absolutely loved. Tao followed Jamie closely as he explained the rules of the café. As they finished changing their shoes into slippers and sanitized their hands, Jamie opened the door and entered the service area. She bit back a squeal at the adorable sight. Kittens were everywhere! The cute cozy café was brightly lit with small tables here and there and large space in the middle. Tao laughed at Jamie’s dazzled expression as he dragged her towards one of the seat. She sat down, still complete dazed until a kitten nudged her arm and purred satisfyingly.

“Awww, how cute! Can I pet it?” Jamie turned to Tao, still trying to control her expression.

“Yes you can.” Tao answered and laughed as Jamie failed to control the grin that spread across her face.

“You’re the best Tao sunbaenim.”

“I am?”

“No.” Jamie playfully glared.

“I know I am.” Tao smugly smiled.

“Silly.”

“So you like it?”

“Yea. I love it. Thank you Tao sunbaenim.”

“Drop that sunbaenim thing. It makes me feel old.”

“You technically are.”

“A year is not that much older.”

“Still.”

“You stubborn feline.”

“You silly old panda.”

“Panda?”

“Panda.”

“Why?”

“Cuz you look like one.”

“I don’t.”

“Yes you do.”

“I don’t.”

“You do.”

“I don’t.”

“Are we seriously arguing about this?”

“Yes we are. I don’t look like a panda.”

“You can ask anyone and they would say you do.”

“No they won’t. Just because I gave you a nickname doesn’t mean you can just pin anything on me.”

“Everything I said had its purpose.”

“You sounded like an old ajjumma.”

“And you are an old panda ajusshi.”

“Ugh! Are you always this stubborn?” Tao threw his hands up in defeat.

“You chose to deal with it.”

“Right I did. And I’m regretting it.”

“Too late.” Jamie smirked.

“Yea. So I’m sticking to the end.”

“Don’t turn this into a mushy conversation sunbaenim. I have a thing against corns.”

“Okay but stop calling me sunbaenim then I’ll stop with the corny stuffs.”

“You better keep your word sunbae.”

“Still too formal. How about oppa?”

“You can go to hell with that.”

“If then will you come with me?” Tao crouched down on one knee and extended his hand in front of Jamie, imitating a prince.

“Go to hell.” Her face scrunched up in disgust.

“How could you my princess? I’m so heartbroken.” He faked sobs and clutched his heart dramatically.

“I don’t know you.” Jamie pretended tp pull out her earphones and proceeded to plug it into her phone, totally ignoring Tao.

He got up from his position on the floor and plopped down onto the seat next to Jamie, pouting.

“Fine. Sunbae it is then.”

“Good.”

Tao was determined to stuck to pouting all day just to get back at the cat girl. But it was proven to be a complete failure as Jamie was too occupied with the cats. Tao loved cats as well which was a coincidence. The other day Jamie had voiced her love for animals and Tao thought this was a brilliant plan. He didn’t know it would make her this happy but he was far more satisfied with the results.

They exited the cafe after spending 3 hours there as their stomach screamed for food. Both had cat hair all over their body.

“I’m sooo hungry.” Tao whined, patting his stomach.

“Me too. But I still wanna stay a little bit more.” Jamie looked at the café with sad eyes.

“We can come back anytime.” Tao suggested as Jamie turned back with now gleaming eyes.

“Really?”

“Really.”

They walked through the streets of Hongdae as Tao led the way. The boy apparently had somewhere in mind. Jamie was too hungry to think of anything so she obediently let him dragged her through the crowd, hand in hand. Jamie winced slightly as her arms brushed against other people but she tried not to make it obvious she was pain. They finally arrived at a western restaurant after 10 minutes of walking. Jamie laughed as Tao’s stomach growled upon smelling the scent of food. Tao glared at her, embarrassed by the ungraceful moment. He supposed to be the prince and prince don’t have such vulgar actions. Tao opened the door for Jamie which she appreciated and thanked him. Once inside the restaurant, Tao held Jamie’s hand again as her eyes searched through the dining area.

“Tao!” A boy shouted, waving to draw attention.

“Hyung!” Tao exclaimed happily and pulled Jamie without warning towards the big table where a big group of boys already sat there.

Jamie shook a little at the presence of the big group of males as she squeezed Tao’s hands tightly. Tao felt her uneasiness which caused him to stop and turned to her worriedly.

“Are you okay?”

“I’m just not good with big group of gu- , I mean people.” She muttered nervously.

“I knew that.” Tao started which Jamie looked up at him with wide confused eyes. “That’s why I’m helping you with that.”

“B-But…”

“No buts. Just trust me. They won’t bite. I promise.” Tao held both of her hands and scooted down to look at her eyes.

Jamie swallowed the invisible lump in . She looked at Tao’s eyes as she reluctantly nodded.

“O-Okay.”

Tao smiled and led Jamie towards the table, still holding hands which for the first time Jamie didn’t blush but thankful for the contact.

“Hi hyungs.” Tao waved as the guys waved back, looking at Jamie with curious eyes, which she didn’t notice because she kept her gaze locked to the ground.

“Who is the lady?” One of the boy asked with a teasing tone.

Jamie got a little self-conscious at the attention. She couldn’t find her voice, eyes still locked to the ground.

“This is Jamie. Jamie meet EXO. EXO meet Jamie.” Tao came to her rescue as he saw how nervous she was. He squeezed her hand as she looked at him with timid eyes. He nudged her and she took that as a cue to say something.

“H-hi.”

The boys chuckled at the shy girl which caused her to blush in embarrassment.

“Don’t be scared. We don’t bite.” One guy stood up and walked up to Jamie’s side.

He tried to look at her eyes as she flinched slightly.

“Hello Jamie. My name is Suho.” He extended his hand but Jamie refused to shake it.

He retracted his hand and scratched the back of his head shyly much to the amusement of the rest of the boys. They laughed at Suho’s embarrassing moment.

“Shut up.” He snapped at them only to have them laugh at him louder.

“Sorry.” She mumbled.

“Nah it’s okay.” Suho sheepishly grinned.

“She’s just not very good with large group of people.” Tao informed them.

“We’re harmless. We won’t bite.” Suho repeated.

“Of course we don’t! What kind of people go around biting others.”

“Not literally Lay.” Suho sighed.

Jamie giggled at the silly remark but stopped right when she felt eyes on her.

“Come on. Let’s sit down.” Tao said as he led her towards the empty seats at the end.

“Sit here.” One of the boy instructed as they moved out for Tao and Jamie to sit inside. She squeezed his hand in protest but Tao insisted, pulling her with him to the middle.

“It’s okay.” He soothed.

She sat down, eyes locked with her shoes.

“So… Are you a trainee as well Jamie?” Suho asked her this time which forced her to answer this time around.

“Yes I am.” Jamie looked up and meet Suho’s kind eyes for less than 2 seconds before hanging her head low again.

“For how long?”

“A little more than 3 months.”

“So how did you know Tao?”

“He helped me when I scraped my elbow.”

“I see.”

He continued with the Q&A session as Jamie loosened up and spoke with clearer and louder voice. Tao was very proud of his little friend, completely forgot the fact that they were still holding hands.

“Hyung! Sorry we’re late.” A loud voice boomed from afar as everyone looked up.

“Baekhyun. You’re late.” Suho scolded the grinning boy.

“Sorry hyung. Sehun was a slow poke.”

“You were the slow one hyung.” The boy from behind argued.

“You’re both slow pokes. Go and sit down.” He ordered as both boys quickly obeyed.

“Who is this?” Baekhyun asked after slipping into the seat at the far right.

“Ah. This is Jamie, Tao’s friend. Jamie, this is Baekhyun and that grumpy looking one over there is Sehun.”

“Hi Jamie!” Baekhyung chirped.

“Hello.” She bowed her head slightly at the boy and smiled.

“Hey –” Sehun began but stopped immediately after recognized who he was looking at.

“You!”

“Sorry?”

“You! A-At the bubble tea shop!” He stuttered, pointing an accusing finger at Jamie.

Realization slowly hit her as she replayed the incident a week ago.

“Oh great."

 


Author's Note: 

I finally got a comment!! Yay!! Thanks Jia, xoxo :)). Next update will be very soon. I promise. Nice day guys.