Protected

(un)optional [EDITING]

 

It’s never occurred to Jamie that Sarah might have more than one loyal subject because currently she’s running away from the same bunch of guys that ually assaulted her before. The only difference was that Kyungmin was not in the bunch. The one hollering order was a somewhat familiar face though she remembered precisely Kyungmin was the head, not this kid. Well calling him a kid was a huge understatement because he’s taller than the blonde and possessed a much more matured air around him. He’s attractive but not all that special that must be why she could vaguely remembered him among the bunch of equally attractive dudes. 

“Stop running away you little ! Just turn yourself in and everyone’s happy. Including that little boyfriend of yours.” His voice echoed through the small alley ways, between rows of houses in a slightly run down neighbourhood. The aggression of his tone made her legs shook lightly as her hands gripped onto Sehun’s harder making the boy winced. 

“That Sarah is so leech-y!” She hissed under her breath. Sehun wondered who this girl Sarah was because they’re being chased by a bunch of guys. 

“Who’s Sarah?” Sehun whispered next to Jamie’s ear in fear of exposing their location but it startled the girl, making her jumped a little. “Sorry…” Sehun whispered again against her ear as he forced to suppress a chuckle if it wasn’t for the fact they’re running for their lives. 

“My bully who apparently thought I’m tainting your images by hanging around you guys.” She leaned closer to his ear as she breathed her answer, totally aware how it affected the poor boy but she excused it as revenge for frightening her.

Sehun’s cheeks tinted a rosy pink as Jamie subtly blew air against the shell of his ear. He knew she knew how it affected him. She’s showing her mischievous side in such a dangerous situation calmed his frantic heart beats somehow, in a strange way. Though the worry still clawed the bottom of his stomach when the voice of their pursuers or more correctly her pursuers were surrounding them in all directions. 

“What should we do?” Sehun asked while Jamie were surveyed the area for an escape route. It made Sehun felt slightly incompetent when he’s the one who’s supposed to protect her. He supposed to be the one who look for a way out, not her. 

“Look for a potential escape route and make a run for it of course. I’m confident in my fighting skills but they overpowered us with numbers. It’s suicidal to face the whole gang head on.” The girl replied as she gave his hand a little squeeze. Sehun smiled subtly at the close contact and immediately entwined their fingers. Jamie was too distracted to notice so she followed along without a protest. Sehun’s smile slowly turned into a toothy grin.

“I think they already blocked the way we came in so let’s make a detour and sneak up from another direction.” Sehun suggested, trying to help with the situation. He couldn’t let the little girl handled it herself. 

“Or we could just go back to where we came from!” Jamie exclaimed quietly as she came to an amazing discovery. “You’re my savior Oh Sehun.” She grinned before pulling the confused male with surprising strength out of their hide out corner. 

“Wah! What do you mean?! We can’t possibly go back there! It’s suicidal. Didn’t you also say so!?” Sehun whisper-yelled as he tried to knock some sense into the fearless girl and dragged her back to their hiding place. The grunting of their aggressors only fuelled to his fear.

“Trust me Sehun-ah. I know what I’m doing.” Jamie gripped both of his hands this time, torturing his poor heart as she stared in his eyes. His mouth once again went ahead of his brain when he mumbled a small okay. Jamie smiled before scanning for threats. When it’s relatively safe, she led Sehun out of their hiding, running towards their only potential escape route. Despite his shaky breaths as they neared what likely to be their way straight to hell, Sehun wholeheartedly trusted Jamie’s instinct. Despite his damaged pride though Jamie somehow got it reattached with her previous compliment, Jamie’s safety was his priority. And if she said this was the best way out, it’s the best way out. Instead, he’s going to protect her from any incoming danger. He knew she’s more capable of protecting herself since her familiarity with fighting and martial arts skills, he still wanted to be able to protect her in one way or another. Maybe receiving punches for her was the smallest thing he could do but he didn’t mind acquiring a few bruises if he could spare her at least that much. 

“When I say run, just go for it okay? You don’t have to worry about me, just run. I’m going to hold them off a little. If I remember correctly, there’s a police station one block away from here. I’m sure you see it before.” Jamie’s hushed voice snapped the boy out of his short reverie and as he registered what she just told him, a fear-striken look emerged on his face. How could she suggest something like that?! This girl is either stupidly fearless or heroically brave.

“Are you insane?! I don’t care how skilled you are at your arts! There’s no ing way I run before you! No way!” Sehun shook his head while voicing his displease with such arrangement. A man doesn’t run. He stays and fights. 

Huffing angrily, Jamie grabbed the collar of Sehun’s shirt, pulling his down to her eye level as she gritted her teeth. “Listen! They might not be as skilled as I am but they fight almost every day. They have the practice, the vigour and the purpose. I, on the other hand, rarely get to fight seriously because I don’t have a reason to do so. And you, need to keep that face clean of anything, even a small zit. Adorn with a half-healed nose, which I caused, you want more bruises or perhaps a broken nose this time?! I don’t think so! So Mr. Handsome, if you want to remain handsome, just ing listen to me for a change will you?!” 

Gulping at the girl’s intimidating glare, Sehun meekly nodded before Jamie’s eyes softened. The girl sighed before peeking out from hiding to survey the surrounding again. She turned to take Sehun’s wrist in her hand and led them both back to where they came in with quiet but cautious steps. 

“I watch in front, you watch the back.” Jamie whispered though Sehun already did. His tall physique gave an advantageous edge. 

As the pair neared their destination, Jamie could see two guys guarding the entrance and the petite girl grinned devilishly. 

“As expected.” She murmured but Sehun barely caught anything besides the victorious look on her face. He was utterly confused because those two guys looked scary as hell! They might not be as tall as Sehun, they made it up in the muscle department. Their hard and sculpted muscles were visible through the flimsy thin sleeveless tank tops. Their eyebrows rivalled those of Kris’s hyung. To sum it up, Sehun would run for his life if he ever see them. 

Jamie’s triumphant smile never ceased despite their impressive built. Who were they kidding, the girl knows her craft. Motioning Sehun to stay hidden which he protested, knowing what she was about to do, Jamie shot him reassuring eyes, silently saying ‘she knows what she’s doing’. Sehun remained watching her making her way, with movements mimicking that of a feline towards the intimidating men. 

in a long breath, Sehun’s heart pounded painfully against his rib cage as Jamie inched closer to the enemies. Her eyes suddenly brightened as she bent down to pick up a piece of rock before flinging it towards his direction. Hissing at the girl’s peculiar plan one second though another he nearly stopped breathing as two pairs of feet shuffled closer to his direction. 

One fraction of a second wasn’t enough for Sehun to process her new plan because the moment those two gangster dudes saw him, his heart dropped unceremoniously onto the cold concrete. Sinister smirks adorned their faces as the sound of cracked knuckles joined the incoherent shouts of the rest of their pursuers. Sehun gulped pretty visibly while putting on a strong front. His face remained void of emotions though his eyes darted around in search of the purple haired midget. His eyes widened though when in a spilt of a second, Jamie managed to wring her tan legs around the dude trailing behind (dude no.2) neck and brought him down onto the ground with a loud thud. The man screamed in pain, trying to pry her legs off his neck. Startled by the scream, dude in front (dude no.1) whipped around to find his buddy on the ground with small legs locked tightly around his neck. Scowling, he swung his fist towards the young girl but she was quicker and smarter.  Doing a back roll, the girl was on her feet again before landing a kick to dude no.1 midsection. The sounds of shouting increased ever since dude no.2 took it to the ground made Sehun’s limbs tingled in unsettlement. 

Despite the panic, Jamie was calm and collected. The calculated moves played out perfectly. By the time dude no.1 stumbled back after receiving a heavy blow to left rib, dude no.2 was up standing on his feet, ready to strike. Catching on the upcoming swing, Jamie ducked before uppercutting him. he grunted in pain as his body dropped to the ground again. Blood flowing out from his mouth milliseconds after he realised his tongue was severely injured. No time was wasted as dude no.1 aimed a kick to her right side. Quickly she blocked it with a muffled groan because let’s face it, he was twice her size. Allowed not a second for her opponent to react, her fist flew forward and collided with his nose. Clutching his perhaps broken nose, crimson painted his palm as he whimpered in pain. 

“Sehun! Go!” She shouted when she caught sight of two more guys charging towards her with rage and contempt. 

The boy bolted out of his hiding place immediately at the signal. His long legs brought him out of the alleyway with no difficulties at all. He stopped at the entrance, in the middle of the crowded street. It was faint but unmistakably sounds of Jamie shouts as she launch yet another attack. His insides curled and twisted with worry and concern. He, as a guy, had not done anything to protect her. He remembered promising himself that he would protect her, take care of her, never hurt her, never make her cry. Despite her stern voice telling him to go what she ask, Sehun couldn’t stop his legs as they ran back to her side. 

Jamie’s mouth gaped open as something looking very familiar to her sketch book slammed right across one guy’s face who lung at her. 

“Sorry.” Sehun panted as he dusted the fabric cover. He grinned. “I couldn’t possibly kill them with a brick, could I?” 

“You idiot!” Jamie scolded before grabbing his wrist and together they sprinted out of the alley. 

The sounds of their pursuers never stopped but Sehun’s long legs and Jamie’s agility took them to the police station faster than they had expected. Collapsing onto the plastic waiting chair, the pair breathed like there’s no tomorrow. They both ignored the curious gazes of police officers as Sehun began chortling. Jamie glanced at her companion whose awkwardly long limbs sprawled across three plastic chairs before chuckling under shaky breaths. The teens continued to laugh before an officer’s voice broke their little bubble. 

“Aren’t you the little missy live a block away from here?” 

————

Looking at the face belong to the voice, Jamie froze upon recognising the young man. Although she had expected to meet him, she didn’t like the possibility. 

“Are you alright? What’s wrong?” The man asked worriedly. He had sensed something was terribly wrong because if the girl turned up here, it’s undoubtedly bad. Right after meeting the young girl, under the condition she was, he knew troubles were fond of her. Missing no details of her description to the sketch artist, he gave the drawing to every officers working at the station to keep a careful eye on her. Purple hair usually would be enough but with the kids these days, who knows how many have the exactly shade she has. 

“Nothing that serious, sir.” And there goes the teasing tone again. “But I’m not gonna lie because there’s a bunch of guys chasing me and my friend. Could you kindly us back to our home?” 

Smoothing out her clothes, Jamie stood up to sling her messenger bag over her shoulders. Sehun followed the girl, standing up with his usual poker face. No words uttered from his mouth. 

Frowning at the odd pair, he knew their bond was undeniably strong. He also knew the boy had a particular glint in his eyes as he looked at the purple hair missy, concern with a speck of adoration. The boy was intrigued by his presence, studying him closely ever since he stepped in. He’s probably questioning his relation to the petite girl. But little was shown on his cherubic strikingly handsome face. 

The whispers and concealed squeals of his female colleague snapped him out of his own thoughts. Remembering the request made by the young girl, he smiled charmingly before nodding. 

“Sure.” 

————

“It’s turning purple.” He could hear worry in the boy’s voice despite how flat and emotionless the tone was. 

“I’ll be fine.” Came a softer response but not less flat. “Stop pouting.” 

He nearly choked on his own spit. Seriously?! That tall kid?! Pout?! Unlikely…

“But I feel so bad every time I look at it.” The boy spoke. This time his voice turned into one with a child like edge. Hyun Joong could totally picture him pouting with glistening eyes now. 

“Then don’t look at it.” Was the girl’s short and crude reply. 

“I can’t. Does it hurt?” 

“Try getting kicked by a guy twice you size. See if that hurts.” Came another snarky response. 

“I’m sorry…” The boy’s voice was small as guilt seeped through his apology.

“Don’t be. They chased me, not you. It’s my fault so stop moping and help me apply medicine to the wound later.” 

“Okay.” The answer was small and almost audible but Hyung Joong could see a grin slowly making its way onto the tall boy’s delicate features. 

Haizz, young love is so nice~ 

————

“Here you go.” The officer smiled when they arrived at the apartment complex. 

When both of them bowed and thanked him for accompanying them back, Hyung Joong’s eyebrows furrowed in confusion. When the teen walked inside together, Hyung Joong’s eyes blown wide open as he shouted. 

“YOU TWO LIVE TOGETHER!!!??” 

Turning back at the shocked office, Jamie nearly laughed but Sehun was quick with his mouth. 

“Yes.” 

Hyun Joong’s mouth now gaping open along with his eyes as Sehun took Jamie’s hands and entwined them as he led them inside ‘their home’.

Jamie tried so hard not to bust out laughing so instead she started to wheeze later as they rode their elevator to their designated floor. 

 

Author's note

Sorry for the late update guys. My book cover assignment had me stayed up for 2 days straight so I took a well deserved rest through the weekend. So I present you this newly, fresh written chapter and hopefully you would forgive me for late updates. Toddles~ :)