Wavered

(un)optional [EDITING]

‘Beep... beep... beep’

The tune was driving Tao crazy. Ever since he managed to turn on his phone again, he had lost count of the number of unresponded calls. He was so worried she might be in trouble or fell incredibly ill. Who knew really since the girl was so aloof and distanced. She would never want to bother anyone and instead chose to take everything in her own hands. On the trillion tries, Tao stopped and decided to pick it up in the evening.

That evening, in his dorm room which he shared with the maknae, Tao tried calling Jamie’s number again. He was so close to throw the phone across the room but restrained himself when he remembered his budget didn’t allow a new one.

Sehun on the other hand looked too relax despite his hyung’s dying patience. Wearing big headphones with a book in his hand, the maknae in fact neither have any music turn on nor concentrated in the book. He was well aware of Tao’s frustration. He knew the reasons but dared not to ask when the risk of spilling unnecessary things out of his loose mouth was too high. Therefore he settled with giving Tao some space.

Shutting his book closed, not even bothered to mark the page since he wasn’t even reading, Sehun slid out of his bed and pocketed his phone. When he was half way out of the room, Tao stopped him with a question which by one way or another made his skin ran cold.

“What are you hiding from me Sehun?” Tao sat at the end of his bed, fiddling with the phone in his hands.

Sehun gulped, trying to find the best reply for this situation but he grew even more nervous by the silence and the lack of improvisation skill.

“What do you mean hyung?” Sehun croaked with his back still facing Tao.

“Something happened with Jamie, am I right?”

“Well she was feeling unwell.” Sehun shallowed, slowly turning back to look at his hyung and immediately regretted it when Tao’s dark, angry eyes bored into his.

Apparently, his hyung was at his limit. “You know best not to lie to me anymore Sehun.”

Sehun gulped at the menacing tone. Oh well he’s in so much trouble now. Carefully weighting his choices, Sehun finally chose to tell his hyung the truth.

He sighed heavily, plopping down next to Tao’s side before blurted out everything.

“When I found her, some guy was holding onto her but she didn’t look very happy. He looked a little familiar but I couldn’t remember who he is though. When he saw me, he released her right away and then he...”

Sehun stopped. He didn’t know how his hyung would react but he suspected it won’t be pleasant. He chose to tell him anyways remembered how the girl cried so hard afterwards.

“He what?” Tao snarled.

He wasn’t happy with the delay. The guy sounded like a threat and he wouldn’t let this go without knowing the whole story.

“He her ear.”

“He did what!!?” Tao yelled.

He didn’t just hear that. He her ear?!!! Meaning he ually harrassed her??

“I knew you would be like this. Calm down hyung.” Sehun growled. Now the flood was out of the gate, what he didn’t need the most would be for Tao to go around and smashed things.

“All right. Continue.” Tao breathed, burrying his face into the palms of his hands.

“He went away without a word. Jamie on the other hand didn’t seem to notice I was there. She just looked at the ground. She looked like she was about to cry. I didn’t know what to do but just stood there and looked at her.”

He paused to inhale and continued when Tao fisted the phone so hard the poor thing looked like it was about to become a scrap of metal.

“She suddenly swayed a little. I caught her though when she was about to fell down. She looked at me and then just broke down crying. My mind was blank so I just kept calling her name and shook her a little. She clung to me afterwards and continued to cry for the next 15 minutes. I tried to calm her down by her back. Fortunately it kinda worked and she stopped crying. Though she refused to look at me and I found out later on she didn’t even know who she was clinging onto for the last 20 minutes.” Sehun paused again to look at Tao who now wear a dark and unreadable expression. If Sehun was right, Tao was blaming himself for losing sight of the girl.

“Hyung. It’s not your fault.” Sehun placed an assuring hand on Tao’s shoulder. “I think she needed some space for the moment. Maybe you could call her again tomorrow. Or you might be able to meet her at the company.”

“It’s entirely my fault. That guy apparently was harassing her. He must threaten her or something. I don’t know. I felt so useless. I didn’t want the same thing to happen to her. She doesn’t deserve any of this.” Tao looked like he’s on the verge of crying when his eyes glistened with tears.

Tao hid his face with his hands and sighed. The reason he kept her close was to prevent her from going through any of those things. It’s not supposed to happen to the sweet and adorable girl. She might look strong but that was only on the appearance. She’s fragile, sensitive and too vulnerable.

“I’ll get myself some fresh air.” Tao stood up abruptly and startled Sehun a little with the sudden action.

“Thanks for telling me Sehun.” He gave the maknae a genuine smile before exiting their shared room.

Tao slipped on his sneakers and shuffled out of the apartment. Taking the elevator down, Tao stepped out into the yard in front. He shivered a little when a cold breeze blew by. Rubbing his arms a little, he sat down on one of the bench and enjoyed the way the sun was setting. The color of the sky was beautiful, he wished he could have taken his phone to capture it. Tao suddenly had the urge to go to the beach. He snapped of his thought when he caught sight of a familiar figure from the entrance.

“Jamie?”

The girl flinched and looked up. Her eyes widened when she realized the person she wanted to avoid the most was now right in front of her. Jamie’s eyes darted around to find an escape but none was available. So she decided to turn around instead and fast-walked her way out of the apartment complex. She would have succeed if not for a certain male grabbed a hold of her forearm, apparently very upset with her attempt to avoid him. But too much strength was used and Jamie ended up dropping the bag in her hand. She whimpered, a little tear escaped from her eyes. Tao was in shock so he released her right away.

“Oh gosh! I’m so sorry! Are you alright??” Tao cried worriedly and bended down to pick up the scattered vegetables.

“Y-Yea. I’m fine.” Jamie mumbled quietly. The quiver in her voice didn’t go unheard by Tao though.

He frowned. “What happened to your arm?”

Jamie didn’t look at him and it only annoyed him more. He was so worried about her and she just didn’t let him take care of her.

“I-I fell down. T-That’s a-all.”

“Don’t you dare to lie to me miss.”

“I-I’m not.”

“You are.”

“I’m –”

Tao cut her off and immediately grabbed her wrist, knowing it was unharmed. He yanked the sleeves of her sweater upwards. Tao’s eyes grew wide, initially with shock which was quickly replaced with anger. The grip on Jamie’s wrist tightened almost as painful as the aching bruise on her forearm. She whimpered a little. Tao immediately let go and apologized.

“Sorry. Did I hurt you?”

“N-No. I’m alright.” Jamie tried to swallow the sob threatened to escape.

“Would you tell me the truth now? I heard it. Someone tried to hurt you. Is he harassing you?”

“How?” Jamie’s voice came out shaky. How did he found out. He’s not supposed to. Who told him?

“Doesn’t matter. Tell me. Is he harassing you?”

“I...” Jamie gulped. What Kyung Min said crossed through her mind again. Was it true that Tao used to be an outcast that’s why he’s so kind to her? Was it because he pitied her? Now that she fell for him, what could she do now?

“I got to go.”

She snatched the grocery bag back from Tao and headed inside. Tao wouldn’t have any of that though so despite knowing it would hurt her, he had no other choice.

Jamie squeaked when she felt herself getting hoisted up. The next moment she was on Tao’s shoulders as the body grip tightly on her legs.

“Tao! Put me down!!” Jamie yelled in command, all pain forgotten.

“No can’t do. Not until you tell me what happen.” Tao stubbornly refused and walked into the apartment, using his card to swipe open the front door.

“You live here??!!” Jamie asked in complete shock.

“Yes. And so do you. Am I right?”

“Y-yes.”

“Now where is your place?”

“5th floor.”

Tao pressed the button as the elevator arrived with a soft ‘ding’. He stepped inside and punched in Jamie’s floor number. They arrived shortly after and Tao stepped out into the familiar corridor.

“What room?”

“I could go by myself.” Jamie replied as she wriggled out of Tao’s hold but it was futile.

“Just tell me.”

“...”

“Please.”

Jamie sighed as she pointed towards the left. “503”

Tao’s lips tugged up a little and he marched towards the door. He set Jamie down on her feet again as she straightened out her clothes. Hooked the grocery bag into one hand, she fumbled with the keys in her coat’s pocket. Finally the door opened.

“I’m going in now. Bye sunbae.” Jamie hastily said before slipping inside but of course she wouldn’t be getting away that easily.

With one foot in the doorway, Tao yanked the door opened while Jamie’s eye widen in surprise. “Do you actually think it’s going to be over just like that?”

“Wha-. Sunbae??”

“Excuse me.” Tao bowed slightly as he took off his shoes in one quick stride and stepped a foot inside Jamie’s living room.

Due to the similar structure, Tao found the switch without much difficulty. Light filled the room as Tao’s eyes traveled over the interior. It was neat. But for Tao, it’s something he always wanted. So cosy and full of warmth. Being dimly lit, it only enhanced that impact.

“I love your place.” Tao blurted, still in a trance.

“Thank you.” Jamie mumbled nervously despite the compliment.

“Now would you tell me why are your arms bruised?”

Jamie flinched. She didn’t expect Tao to be so blunt and forward.

“Jamie. Falling down the stairs isn’t a reasonable answer.”

Jamie gulped. So there’s no point in hiding then.

“Can you ask something first though?”

Tao furrowed his brows in slight confusion but he reckoned the girl need some time. After all it’s not a small matter.

“Go ahead.”

“Do you pity me?”

“What?”

“That guy told me. You were an outcast.”

“Who?”

“Kyungmin.”

Tao thought hard, trying to match the name with a face but he found nothing. “I don’t kno-.”

Jamie didn’t like the play-dumb act so she yelled, much louder than intended. “Is it true?!”

Tao jumped at the harsh tone. Sure Jamie wasn’t the most gentle person but this is the first time she had used this tone on him. Tao sighed. So this is what it was about he thought.

“What if I was? You think I pity you.” Tao deadpanned.

“...”

On point. Tao took a steep closer to Jamie as she backed away. He finally cornered her. Putting both his hands at the sides of her head, he tried to look at her eyes but she kept avoiding the dark gaze.

“Look at me.”

Jamie refused to meet Tao’s eyes so he took her chin. Jamie flinched at the touch and shivered. Her mind went back to the incident yesterday. Her body shook as the feelings came rushing back. Tao panicked momentarily but didn’t pull away. He knew what to do.

“Look at me.”

Jamie still refused to meet his eyes and continued to glued her eyes to the floor beneath. Her eyes glistened with tears. Hand still at her chin, Tao titled her face up. His heart ached as he felt the hurt, the fear and the confusion. He felt it clawed at him. How he used to be just the same.

“Never.” Tao said sternly and paused having Jamie looked at him with blank eyes.

“Would I pity you.”

“Let’s say I want to be that person. That stood up for you when others don’t. That want to be your friend. That want to know the real you. Someone you could trust. Someone you could pour your heart out to. Someone you could depend on. I want to be that person Jamie. Never I would pity you. I might not be the best person in the world but I assured you that I’m a better person than I used to be. I’m stronger now. You could trust me because I could protect you. And I promised I would always be there when you need me. If you asked me why, I will say that you worth every effort I made.”

Jamie was taken back by Tao’s confession. In her wildest dreams, she never thought the annoying male who followed her around for 2 weeks had spoken such words. Such kind words she thought she would rarely heard. That was the exact moment she knew why she felt for him. She smiled but tears kept falling. Tao however wiped every one of them away. His fingertips against her skin were so soft and gentle. She leaned into the touch and began to sob. Tao cupped Jamie’s face with his large warm hands and her cheeks lightly.

“Shhh... It’s okay. I’m here.”

His voice was soothing and gentle. Jamie found that accent so endearing and charming as she smiled.

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. Come here.” Tao returned the gesture before wrapping his arms around her shoulders and kissed her head lightly.

Jamie’s eyes widened in shock but soon wrapped her arms around his waist. “Thank you.” She mumbled against his chest.

Instead of replying, Tao pressed his lips against her head again as Jamie’s heart fluttered. The gesture may not hold any special feelings but to Jamie it saved her from all the abuse happening for the past weeks.

 


Author's Note 

Sorry guys. For the late update and 'sigh' y ending. -.-'' My brain always refused to work after assignments. I hope you could settle with the y ending for now. kekeke :>