Concerned

(un)optional [EDITING]

“Um! This is so amazingly yummy!!” Jamie squealed as she chump down a big piece of eomuk.

“Ya! Eat slowly gluttony.” Sehun scolded.

Though Jamie showed no sign of slowing down so Sehun snatched the stick out of her hand. Jamie eyes widened as her precious piece of fish cake got stolen away. She whined with full but quickly swallowed before glaring menacingly at Sehun. He shivered mentally though his face remained stoic. He’s always been good at controlling his emotions.

“Give it back.”

“I will if you stop piggying. No one gonna steal those from you so eat slowly.” Sehun looked at her sternly.

Jamie didn’t stop the glaring but agreed anyway. She wanted her half-eaten stick back.

“Fine. Now give it back.” She extended a hand towards Sehun, demanded the release of the fish cake.

“Good girl.” Sehun smiled and handed Jamie her stick back.

Of course, it would not been that easy if you’re dealing with Jamie. Sehun knew that though he didn’t expect to have sticks threw at him. The perks of dealing with a feline girl.

“What the –“ Sehun cursed as a bunch of sticks attacked his head, not to mention they weren’t exactly clean but instead coated with fish broth. Sehun stared as every single one of them fell to the ground. The sight apparently was very amusing to Jamie who almost burst out laughing but refrained herself just in time.

“Pfffft.” Jamie snorted then smirked as Sehun turned his gaze towards her, looking quite shock. “You look really dumb right now.”

“You didn’t just threw dirty sticks coated with fish broth and even worse your damn saliva at my hair.” Sehun sneered through gritted teeth. Nobody messed with Sehun’s hair.

“I just did.” Jamie returned a glare just as intense before switch back to her “gluttony” mode while smiling like nothing had happened.

“Payback ~” She sang-song as she bit off a huge piece of fish cake much to Sehun’s distaste.

To Jamie’s surprise, Sehun didn’t do anything else, like mock her, or compare her to a hippo. Instead he stood up and went to the front vendor. Sehun came back with 2 cups of water as he pushed one towards Jamie who was chopping down fish cake like it’s the end of the world.

One, who meet her the first time, would think she wasn’t taught table manners but that’s not the case for Jamie. Her family may not be wealthy but children were taught proper equitte from a young age and were expected to follow them. Though her parents were not as strict as her other relatives, Jamie made sure to follow them in order to make her parents proud. But today, she decided to loosen up a little and enjoy herself.

And that’s the explanation excuse for the birth of “gluttony” Jamie.

Jamie swallowed quickly and grabbed the cup as she mumbled ‘thanks’ before gulping down the contents in one go.

Sehun grimaced. “Ya! If you choked, you’re by yourself.” He warned the young girl but it went on deaf ears when Jamie devoured another stick at the speed of light. She moaned in delight and jumped in her seat as the taste melted against her tongue.

“The best thing I ate all week.” Jamie muttered as quickly as she went back to eating her 10th piece.

Sehun cocked his brows in amusement while watching Jamie ate them like a starving lion but at the same time savored every bit of that eomuk. You starved yourself whole week but threw money down the drain in one day; it was the most indigestible logic for Sehun. He sighed defeatedly and settled with staring at Jamie while she’s piggy-ing on fish cake. He chuckled as he watched her immersed in eating so much the staring was unaffected towards the said girl.

He studied her carefully as she ran towards the owner and bought even more eomuk. Sehun’s eyes followed every bounce of that fluffy purple hair. Her petite figure became so adorable in his eyes despite that nagging voice at the back of his head telling him otherwise. Her tanned complexion stood up among the pale ones. And when she smiled, the way the corners of resembled that of a cat was endearing in unexplainable sense.

Fish cake long-forgotten at the tip of his mouth, Sehun’s mind drifted back to the moment when his arms were around her as he comforted her. The small and broken sobs stabbed his chest as he recalled them. He began to wonder what was wrong, why was she crying and why did she look so hurt. He had too many questions but it killed him knowing he may never get them answered.

“Aren’t you going to ask?” Jamie’s voice broke Sehun out of his trance.

Sehun whipped his eyes back to Jamie who now had sat down beside him, in progress of devouring more eomuk. “Huh?”

Jamie stopped eating as she sighed and turned her full attention towards a confused Sehun. “Aren’t you going to ask?” She repeated.

“About what?” Sehun titled his head to the side though he only pretended. He’s fully awore what Jamie implying but he wanted to test her, to see if she would still decide to talk or dodge the topic again.

Jamie stilled for a while before sighed heavily. “About last weekend...” she mumbled lowly.

“Do you want to tell me?”

“Do you want to know?”

Sehun sighed as he put down his untouched fish cake. Yes, he wanted to know. Heck it’s killing him inside thinking about it. But the important thing was that if Jamie wasn’t ready to tell him, he wouldn’t pry. “Yes I do want to know. But do you want to tell me?” Sehun answered honestly.

Caught off guard, Jamie expected Sehun to be curious since she kinda involved him in her own mess. What Jamie didn’t even think of, in a million years, that he’s actually sounded worried. “I-”

“Look. If you don’t want to tell me, don’t. You’re already killing me with curiosity and I don’t want to end up dead. So we could drop it you know.” Sehun sarcastically replied but his eyes were filled with concern.

And they resumed eating as silence engulfed them. Jamie chewed aggressively on the tip of the wooden skew stick, 5 eomuk(s) left in the bowl but she couldn’t bring herself to eat them at all. So she sighed, for the nth time of the day.

“That guy.” She began, drawing Sehun’s attention as he looked at her, mildly surprised.

So she decided to tell me after all.

“His name is Kyungmin. He’s a trainee at SM too. At least that’s what he said.”

So that’s why I found him oddly familiar. Must have seen him a couple of times.

“I presumed you know what he did could mean a lot of things. But first, I don’t know the guy personally. Second, he didn’t mean a lot of things he did. Third, he’s not the one behind what he did to me.” Her chest heaved up and down after her one breath speech. Jamie sneaked a glance at Sehun and found his eyes trained on her the whole time, unspoken, quiet and waiting. As if she expected him to say something but Sehun remained silent so she continued.

“I’m being bullied.” Sehun’s eyes widened a little in shock but he soon got back his composure.

“Not like I couldn’t defend myself or let them beat me up like a pulp. I don’t know if bullying is appropriate but regardless the best word to describe the I’m in.”

“How long?” Sehun asked with a hoarse voice.

“2 weeks? I honestly don’t remember when it started. Actually the reason was rather stupid. And I meant the reason they decided to bully me. They messed with me in the first place then conveniently thought “she dared to go against us, we should make her pay”. I mean it’s something elementary kids do. Grown-ups don’t go around picking meaningless fights you know.”

“The people who bullied you. Are they trainees as well?” Sehun asked but when Jamie looked at him with eyebrows raised, he answered himself.

“So they are. But why did they bully you in the beginning?”

“Well their -in-the-lead happened to damaged the T-shirt that’s very important to me so I poured coffee on her blouse.” She shrugged. “An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a T-shirt for a blouse. It’s fair.”

“How did she damage it anyways?”

“She pulled the collar. And it goes ‘ripppp’. So the collar is all stretched out now and I can’t do anything to fix it. She could still dry clean her blouse to get rid of the stains. She should consider herself lucky. I could easily tore that blouse in half.” Sehun gulped as Jamie broke a bunch skewer sticks in half with her bare hands.

“But that doesn’t have anything to do with that guy Kyungmin.”

“Obviously she was the one who order him to ‘teach me a lesson’. He’s certainly not the type go out of his way to harass me when he could get girls with a flick of his fingers.”

Sehun furrowed his brows in confusion. It didn’t make sense why one would beat the other over a blouse. “But isn’t that a little overboard? Just because of her blouse and she ordered guys to beat your up?”

“Of course not, babo.” Jamie scoffed as she poked Sehun’s arm with the wooden stick playfully.

“Who are you calling babo, you shorty.” Sehun clenched his teeth together as he randomly picked one up from the table and poked her back.

“She’s obssessed with Tao sunbae that’s why.”

“Ha?”

“Apparently she liked Tao sunbae too much for his comfort. She wasn’t pleased to see me hanging out going sunbae. So she went crazy and ordered guys to beat me up for touching her precious “oppa”.” Jamie said as she did the quotation signs with her fingers.

“It was actually very amusing to see her eyes widened in fear when she saw me landing punches onto her minions. Well the outcome didn’t go in my favor but it was pretty funny still.” Jamie chuckled and propped a piece of fish cake in though one couldn’t say the same for Sehun.

His eyes darkened in anger as he absorbed the information carefully. A bunch of guys and teaching a girl a lesson never go well together. Judging from what he saw last week, there was more to the story than it was told. Wondering over asking or leaving it as it is, Sehun decided to lay it off since she had suffered enough for the day.

“At least you’re not dead.” Sehun muttered, masking his concern with sarcasm as Jamie gave him a hard glare.

“At least I’m not dead.” Jamie repeated Sehun’s words and sighed heavily.

It was nice, Jamie decided, to have someone there to listen to you whilst not making any judgment.

“Don’t tell me you haven’t told anybody but me.” Sehun sneaked a suspicious glance.

“I told Tao sunbae since he kinda interrogated me that night you see. That sly bastard. He downright forced me to tell him but faked innocence the whole way.” Jamie snorted.

Of course Tao hyung would know before I do. Sehun thought bitterly.

“But thank you...” Jamie mumbled, almost inaudibly.

“What?” Sehun raised his eyebrows in surprise.

Eyes down-casted to the ground below her feet, Jamie in a breath before repeating what she said earlier with courage. “I said thanks.”

“For?”

“Listening.”

“Oh.” Sehun rubbed the back of his neck in the awkward tension.

“Hmm.”

 

But all good things came to an end as Jamie’s phone emitted a loud, ear-cracking sound. She fished it out of her pocket and realized how late it was since her alarm for 8:30 rang soundly.

“ it’s 8 30.” She cursed after turning off the alarm. Sehun’s eyes widened because he never expect to send 2 and a half hours when all he planned was taking her out for shopping making her pay for his shirt. His eyes nearly bulged out their sockets when Jamie decided to shove down the rest of the fish cake like squirrels storing food in their cheeks' pouches. As if on a cue, Jamie started coughing furiously.

“Ya! I know it’s late but slow down. You’ll choke idiot!” Sehun scolded as he patted her back gently.

Sehun quickly went the front vendor and brought back another cup of water. Before he could ask her to drink it, Jamie already took it from his hand and gulped it down. Her coughing stopped quickly afterwards as she muttered a small ‘thanks’.

“You really need to fix that eating manner of yours. You might die one day with fish cake clogged in your throat.”

“Pftt. I won’t.” Jamie rolled her eyes and stood up to gather her things.

“Right. You won’t.” Sehun retorted before grabbing his paper bag and left through without waiting for Jamie.

The girl rolled her eyes once more but calmly picked up her things and tuck the stools neatly under the table. Jamie bowed to the owner as she made her way out of the small vendor. To her pleasant surprise, Sehun was waiting for her outside with one hand in his jeans pocket, face void of any emotions.

Noting with surprised look on her face, Sehun decided to cut her off if she ever to speak by going ahead and led the way.

Jamie raised an eyebrow at his attitude but followed anyways. Jamie trailed after Sehun’s quietly while maintaining a distance though close enough for him to know she’s right behind. She wondered if he would ever look back.

Sehun had a mental battle the whole while as they walked back to the apartment, just like every time Jamie’s involved. He fought against the urge to check on her, to see if she’s still behind him, if she followed him closely. It’s simple, just a turn of his head, but he couldn’t bring himself to it. He dreaded the expression on her face if she caught him being concern and knowing Jamie, she would not let it go. So Sehun resorted to walked slower so she would catch up and end up walking beside him.

 

 

And it never happened.

As Sehun slowed down, Jamie did the same, closely and wordlessly falling into Sehun’s new pace.

Sehun groaned inwardly as his plan failed.

Out of tactics, he resulted to the hard way.

 

So he stopped abruptly causing Jamie to bump into his back.

“Ow. Why did you stop?” She groaned, rubbing her nose.

Sehun’s lips curved upwards in a triumphant smile before he resumed walking.

Jamie glared at Sehun’s back, thinking it was just another time when he wanted to mess with her when she saw that smirk on his face. After a good 5 seconds, she as well resumed following.

They arrived at the complex 10 minutes later as Sehun scanned his card for access. He slipped inside as the door swiftly closed, locking Jamie outside. The said girl half-pouted, half-puckered her lips at Sehun’s immaturity. She knew he enjoyed it despite that stoic face. She set down the multiple bags of goodies and fumbled through her jacket in search for the card. Once she found it, she immediately hovered it over the identifier as it beeped and slid open. To her surprise, Sehun still waited there, next to the elevator in the same fashion, hand in pocket, expressionless face. She swatted him out of the way and pressed the button. A ‘ding’ was heard as both made their way inside elevator. Jamie was again surprised when Sehun didn’t press his floor level so she pressed it instead. Though when they arrived at the 5th floor, Sehun stepped out with Jamie, mildly shocking her.

“What are you doing?” She asked but he remained silent, staring at her.

They had a staring showdown until Jamie turned away and marched over to her door. Unable to decipher his intentions, Jamie reluctantly let him follow her to her apartment. When Jamie successfully opened the door after numerous failed attempts under Sehun’s unwavering stare, she went inside quickly, dragging her harvest with her. Setting down the bags, she looked at Sehun, standing in front of the wide opened door like a sore thumb, with confusion.

So they stood there and waited for the other to speak. Jamie fidgeted with her fingers as her awkwardness came back. All while, Sehun watched the petite girl with mild amusement. He could see her nervousness when she shifted her foot back and forth while avoiding eye contact all together. Sehun couldn’t help but chuckled.

Hearing the unfamiliar joyous sound from the poker face boy, Jamie glanced up with wide eyes and she wished she had not. If he was handsome before, he’s even more handsome now as those eyes turned into crescents while his nose twitched cutely, forming creases on the sides. Jamie glared at him accusingly despite her red cheeks.

“What are you laughing at?” She asked without much hostility.

“You look like an awkward turtle for a moment there.”

“I did not!!” Jamie stomped her foot in a childlike manner.

“Yea yea whatever you say.” Sehun smiled teasingly before turned towards the elevator direction.

Jamie huffed as the boy disappeared out of sight. She muttered ‘jerk’ before reaching out the door handle.

“Don’t get bullied.” A small voice echoed along the hallway as the door almost closed.

Jamie lips curved up into a small smile and she echoed back.

“I won’t.” 

 


Author's note 

TT^TT I still have another test to go I seriously don't wanna study for it. So out of utterly boredom, I decided to continue with the story. 

Thanks for all of many readers. I'll appreciate it if you left a comment. Thanks guys!!