Surprise

(un)optional [EDITING]

 

For the next three days, she was drenched, tripped and humiliated in front of watchful eyes while the group of heavily powdered face laughed their heads off, pointing fingers and snapping photos. It was childish but effectively ticked her off. Determined not to be immature, she chose to endure. But what got to her was the lack of help from a bunch of witnesses. She did know a little about psychology so she decided that she understood why people didn’t help her. The must have some reputation and something to hold onto the one who dared to go against her.

Jamie stood up and dusted her clothes while straightened them after slipping over a banana peel (classic); suddenly a face lowered itself to her eye level. She was taken by surprise as she jumped back and let out a gasp. But when she slowly taking in the person features: beautiful captivating eyes with unique eye bags, a straight lean nose, slightly puckered lips and messy black hair, her face reddened at how handsome the creature was (also how incredibly close their faces were).

"Are you okay?" He asked with a cute accent, brows furrowed worriedly. She knew he’s definitely not Korean. She blushed a little since she was never this close to a good looking male. Yes she saw plenty of hot guys but she’s never that close to be able to describe their facial features.

"I'm fine really. Probably just a bruise." She smiled, removed her eyes from the handsome stranger’s face.

"Well, I'm glad you are. Those girls are so mean. You should tell the teachers or someone elder. They could definitely help." He said, concern visible in his voice.

"Nah, I don't bother others with trivial matters."

"This is definitely not a trivial matter. Bullying is serious. You never kn- Oh no you scraped your elbows!" He cried.

She immediately twisted her arm over, only to be greeted with pain shot through her muscles. She winced and hissed slightly in surprise.

"Ouch. I didn't see that coming."

"I'll take you to the infirmary. You need to get it disinfected." He exclaimed worriedly.

For a second she thought it was nice that one person decided to help her. She quickly deemed him a special being. However her rational side overpowered as she refused his help.

"It's okay. I can go there myself." She declined him politely and turned towards the opposite direction.

"But the infirmary isn't that way."

Ouch, so much for being direction-blind.

Cheeks flamed red, she chuckled. "Really? I thought it was that way."

"Come on. Let me take you there." He laughed and grabbed her wrist lightly.

She blushed at the sudden skinship as he started guiding her towards the infirmary. The thought of keeping a distance flew out of the window as once in a while, he would turn back to check her elbow and smiled warmly. Her heart thumped harder against her chest as their eyes met.

“I really could go there by myself.”

“Stop being stubborn. You obviously didn’t know the way.”

“You could just tell me. I could go there –”

“No more arguing. I’m taking you there.” He silenced her when he stopped and glared.

Jamie froze under menacing eyes that turned into slits. “Uh… All right.” She gulped.

“Good!” The stranger grinned.

Her brain flickered. She sighed when she realized she was tricked. She quietly let herself be dragged to the infirmary which she didn’t even know where by someone whose name she didn’t know.

“My name is Tao. What’s yours?” The stranger seemed to read her thoughts through her sigh.

“Jamie.”

“I’m 18. You?”

“I’ll turn 17 in October.”

“Woa. I thought you are 14 or 15. You look so young.”

“I heard that a lot.”

“Well it’s true. You have a very baby-face.” Tao smiled as he studied her face in detail which made her blush unknowingly.

“Um..”

“What is it?”

“The hand…” She mumbled as she pointed at Tao’s gripped on hers.

“What about it?” Tao asked, complete clueless of what she meant.

“Could you –”

“We’re here.” He cut her off and opened the door to infirmary. He poked his head inside as he spoke loudly.

“Anyone here?” When they were greeted by silence, Tao stepped inside as he pulled Jamie along.

“Sit here.” He motioned her to one of the stool.

“Thank you.”

“Wait here. I’ll get something to fix that up.”

Jamie watched as Tao made his way to the medicine cabinet at the other side of the infirmary. She took a look at the wound and hissed lightly once she moved her arm.

“There’s no way you could dress the wound if you’re by yourself. The nurse is out for lunch already.” Tao came back with a bottle of disinfectant, cotton swabs and bandage.

“I could help myself.” She smiled as she reached for the bottle of disinfectant but Tao didn’t let her.

“Come, give me your arm.” He ordered as she stared into his eyes before sighing and showed him the wound.

“Good girl.” He smiled and opened the cap and squeezed drops of disinfectant onto a cotton swab. Jamie winced when the cold liquid met the wound which caused a burning sensation throughout her arm. Tao took a couple of glances whenever he felt her arm twitched. She smiled and assured him she’s fine. After the disinfection, Tao wrapped bandage around her elbow and secured it with medical tape. He grinned proudly at his neat work and patted Jamie’s upper arm lightly.

“There you go. Nice and clean.”

“Thank you.”

“You know. How about what happen earlier. What was that about?”

“Ah… that. Not that big of a deal. The girl just wanted to get back at me for ruining her blouse.”

“Why did you do?”

“I poured coffee over it. But only because she picked a fight first.”

“I see. Why not tell somebody about it?”

“I told you it’s not big of a deal.”

“I think it is. You never know what it could lead to if you turn a blind eye on it you know.”

“Yea. Thanks though.”

“No problem. If there’s anything, don’t hesitate to tell me okay?”

“Right.”

Even though the girl agree, Tao just had a feeling she would never do what he told her. He decided to take a different measure and did something one would never do the first time meeting another.

“Give me your phone number.”

 


Author's Note

Tao is a little bold isn't he. It will get better I promised. I promise there will be fluffly moment between Jamie and Tao. Just you wait.