Flax [KRISYOUNG]

The Language of Flowers [REQUESTS CLOSED]

For hzelnuts

Flax

Hayoung had a thing with airports. It’s not like she ever went anywhere, or had actually been on one, but even the feeling and the atmosphere of the airport, made her feel like she could go someplace far away. If someone asked her where she thought home was, she would say that it was the airport. It was a bit ironic that she felt at home in a place that was a temporary stopover to get to a more permanent destination. Hayoung would usually sit in the airport lounge or in one of the cafes. Sometimes, she did her homework there, other times, she would read, and other times, she would just watch people walk in and out, towing their luggage.

On this particular day, she was just watching people move around, when someone decided to sit next to her. At first she wasn’t going to look at the person, but she was curious as to why they would sit next to her when all the other seats in the lounge were empty. She moved her neck slightly so that she could peer at their face, but it was mostly covered by the shadow created by his snapback and he wore sunglasses. He didn’t seem to notice her, however, because he kept his eyes straight ahead and had both earphones in. She knew that he probably couldn’t hear either because she could also hear some of the music that was coming out.

She recognised the tune. It was an EXO song. She smiled. They were her favourite band, and she didn’t know any guys that like them. He took out his phone, and changed the song, and Hayoung saw the time. 3.47pm. She needed to get home. Apparently they were going to have visitors later that night, and her mother needed her help to set up and cook. She looked at the boy next to her and found that he too, was checking the time, and he began to tap his feet, but then got up when he saw a middle aged woman approaching him. She must be his mother, Hayoung thought.

She picked up her bag and decided to go check the bus time. When she realised that she had another twenty minutes, and would be late anyway, she went to her favourite café and decided to get an iced chocolate drink. What she didn’t expect was to bump into the boy again. He even ordered the same drink, and she found out that his name was Kris. When her order was ready, she dashed off to the bus stop and made it in time for the bus.

She got home, and although her mother gave her a disapproving look, she beckoned her to the kitchen without having time to scold her daughter for being late. Hayoung was sent to work, chopping up the vegetables, washing the lettuce, and setting up the side dishes, while her mother was the one who took care of the things cooking on the stove and in the oven. When Hayoung was done, she set up the table, showered and then got dressed.

By the time that she was finished getting ready, the guests arrived, and to her amazement, it was the guy and his mother from the airport.

“Yifan, this is my daughter, Hayoung…”

“Hayoung, this is Yifan. He’s going to be studying in Korea for now, at your school. I hope that you two can become friends…”

“Ne.”

Hayoung’s mother ushered everyone to the dining room, where most of the conversation occurring was between the two women. Hayoung and Yifan ate their food silently, with the occasional glance at each other. Now that his glasses were off, and he wasn’t wearing a snapback, Hayoung thought he was good looking, but had the image of a ‘cold guy’.

After dinner, the two kids were shooed off into the lounge to give their mothers some private talking time.

“Hey…”

“Hey…”

“I don’t know if you noticed but, we already met…”

The guy nodded and then faced her.

“At the airport, right?”

“And then at Starbucks…”

“Yeah…I know. Your mother actually told me that I might see you there…that’s why I picked the seat next to yours…”

“You didn’t say ‘hi’ or anything though…”

“Yeah…it’s not really my style to introduce myself…”

“So, is your name Yifan…or Kris? Cause that’s the name you gave at Starbucks…”

“My name is Yifan, but I prefer Kris. I grew up in Canada…”

“Ahhh…”

“So we’re going to go to the same school…”

“I guess so…”

There was a period of silence until Kris spoke up first.

“I hope you don’t mind me being a bit forward but… did you know that they say that there is a greater chance of falling in love when you meet someone in the airport…”

“Is this your way of talking to a girl?”

“This is my style…”

“Well, did you know that they say that if you meet someone three times in one day, you’re destined to be together…”

“And this is our third meeting…whaddaya know?”

“It’s totally fate…”

“I know…”

“I mean…we even like the same kind of music…”

“I don’t think so…”

“Baby don’t cry…tonight…”

“Okay! Okay! You caught me!”

“It’s alright…I think it’s cool that you’re an EXO fan!”

“I told you…it’s fate…”

 

AN: Quick question, guys! Do you guys prefer me to release chapters one by one, or you guys don't mind double updates? I write when I have time, and so sometimes I finish two requests in one go...so, the question is: do you like one shot or double shot? (or more if I write them?)