Forget-Me-Not [KAIEUN]

The Language of Flowers [REQUESTS CLOSED]

For gidiforever and datzme

Forget-Me-Not

It was a perfect spring day for what Kim Jongin was planning. He was going to propose to his long-time girlfriend, Naeun, during the most romantic date he could think of. They would go to the park where they had first met. He would set up the clichéd red checkered picnic blanket and have the straw picnic basket complete with plates, utensils and delicious food. They would take turns feeding each other. Naeun would laugh because he would try to be cool by throwing a grape in the air and trying to catch it with his mouth, but completely miss the target. He would laugh because she spilled her food easily. They would talk about everyday things, like the weather and how work and family was. He would try to steal kisses from her and she would try to take photographs of everything. They would lie down on the grass and go cloud watching, and he would stand up and pick a flower from of the garden beds and tie it to the ring he would have in his pocket. He would present it to her then ask her to marry him. She would say yes and he would give her a big hug and twirl her around in the air. It was going to be perfect.

He had woken up that morning with a big smile on his face. He had made himself some breakfast, singing and humming to himself as he fried some eggs and bacon. He plated it up and gobbled it down. His outfit was already planned and laid out on his bed and he was about to jump in the shower when his phone rang. The ringtone signalled that it was his girlfriend calling and he immediately smiled and tried to answer the phone in the most suave way possible.

“Are you that excited to see me?”

“Yeoboseyo? Oppa?”

He chuckled, noting that she never understood his unique way of answering the phone for her.

“Ne. Naeun-ah…wae?”

“Oppa! You go first to our meeting place today. My boss called me in for a morning shift. It will only be three hours. Okay?”

“Okay…”

“Yah! It’s only a few hours then we can spend the rest of the day together! Cheer up!”

“Ahrasso…”

“I love you!”

“I love you too…”

He hung up the phone and put it back down on the table. He sighed, but nothing could ruin today. It was only going to be a couple of hours. Then we would have the rest of our lives together…

Jongin took more time in the shower, and got dressed more slowly. By the time he had finished, forty minutes had already elapsed. He decided to watch some television before heading out. A sports program had taken his fancy and when he looked up at the clock again, it was already time to drive to the park. He made sure that he had everything ready, the food, the blanket and that the ring was firmly inside his jeans pocket.

Ten minutes into the drive, he received a call. Again the caller ID showed that it was Naeun, but the person who answered was definitely not her.

“Yeoboseyo?”

“Sir…do you know anyone by the name of Son Naeun?”

“Yes. She’s my girlfriend. Waeyo?”

“She’s been involved in a car accident. She’s currently being taken to the hospital.”

Jongin’s heart dropped and his brain became almost robotic, mentally taking down the details that the man on the other line was spewing about Naeun’s condition, details of the accident and the location of the hospital. He drove to the hospital, accelerating at two yellow lights, and got there in less than eight minutes. He hastily parked his car and then ran to the front desk where he was told that she was in the operating room and that he should wait. He paced back and forth, the weight of the engagement ring suddenly feeling like it was a leaden ball that was slowing him down. Eventually he collapsed into the chair, and picked at his fingers, constantly checking the clocks and the doors inside the sterilised white confines of the hospital. Please be alright. Please, God, just let her be alright…

An hour later, a doctor tapped him on the shoulder.

“You must be her boyfriend?”

“Ne. How is she?”

“The surgery went well. There was a lot of internal bleeding, but we managed to stop it. She has a fractured rib on her right side, and we’ve given her a large dose of morphine to try and ease that. Any other conditions won’t be known until the patient regains consciousness.”

“Can I see her?”

“Of course. Right this way.”

Jongin followed the doctor, and almost broke down crying when he finally saw her. Thank God, she made it through… She had a few cuts on her face, and she had a pained expression even though she was sleeping. The only thing that comforted him was the steady beeping of the monitors. He carefully placed his palm over her hand, then kissed her forehead, watching her sleep and then eventually falling into slumber himself, the day’s events already taken a toll on him.

He woke up with someone nudging him on his shoulder. He saw that she was awake and a smile broke out into his face. He leaned down to kiss her but she turned away. He sat down and told himself to restrain himself, but when he looked at her again, he saw that she looked at him with a blank expression. Her eyes were hollow, and the love that was usually there was replaced with confusion and sadness.

“Naeun-ah…it’s me…”

He reached out to cup her face but again, she turned away from his touch. Jongin wanted to cry but he had to remain strong.

“Don’t you remember?”

“I’m sorry…I don’t know who you are…”

Jongin took a step back, then just stared at her. Then he turned around to call one of the doctors. He returned, and the doctors told him to wait outside while they completed a full assessment on her. When the doctor came back out to talk to him, he put a hand on his shoulder.

“Doctor, how is she?”

“It seems that the impact of the crash caused a lack of oxygen to get to the brain that is responsible for memory. She currently has amnesia.”

“When will her memory come back? It’s uncertain, but she was taken to the hospital quickly after the crash. There is a high chance of her regaining complete memory within a few months or less. Stay positive.”

“Thank you, doctor.”

With one last pat on the shoulder, the doctor walked off. Jongin took another look at Naeun and decided he needed to get some fresh air. He needed to get a hold of himself so that he could try and help her get better.

He walked back into Naeun’s room a few hours later, even more determined to help her remember. He sat down beside her and waited for her to make the first move.

“The doctor told me that you are my boyfriend.”

“I am.”

“I’m sorry I don’t remember you.”

“It’s not your fault. Just focus on getting better…”

“Here. I brought some pictures. Maybe they can help you…”

Jongin took out a small photo album with pictures of her family, friends and their relationship. She opened it, carefully tracing over the photographs.

“They’re my parents…”

“Yes. How about them? Do you know them?”

“Those are my friends from school…”

She kept on flipping, but hesitated when a photo of her and Jongin appeared. She cracked a smile and Jongin was suddenly filled with hope.

“We look happy…”

“We are happy…”

Naeun reached over to cup his face and then gently wipe away the tear that had escaped.

“I’m sorry…”

He grabbed her hand and then put it back down.

“Can I kiss you?”

She hesitated but nodded. He then got up and kissed her on the top of her head. He put his hand in his pocket and stuffed it back down, saving it for another day, when she would remember. For now, he would be there for her and help her remember. He went outside then came back in with a flower. Naeun picked it up and thumbed over the petals, and smiled at him.

“A forget-me-not…”

“I know you love flowers…”

“Thank you…”

He turned around to leave, but took one last glance at her playing with the flower. He smiled. With my love, we can overcome anything. I love you, Naeun-ah…remember that…