Heather [CHANJOO]

The Language of Flowers [REQUESTS CLOSED]

AN: Hey guys! Sorry...it's gonna take some time between updates for a while because school's started again and I'm in my final year. Hopefully, I'll catch up on all your requests every weekend, but, please be patient. Thank you :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For shiningbeasts

 

Heather


It was another lesson in art class, and Chanyeol and Namjoo were too busy lost in their own world to even notice their teacher. Chanyeol was busy twirling Namjoo's hair around his finger and Namjoo was too busy staring at her boyfriend. The teacher cleared and started to take attendance.

“Today, I will assign you an individual project. You may start work on it in class. You can help each other but each person must submit their own project. The theme is love and the task is to express what your love through a creative piece. It’s up to you to decide what you will create. You will not be marked on the subject of your piece, but whether your expression conveys the theme. It's due on Friday this week. Please commence your work now.”

The teacher laid out an A3 sheet in front of each of her students.

“You may use any media to create your work.”
 

A few students put their hand up to ask some questions about the task but the teacher said that there was no need for further explanation.

 

“Many of you are asking what you should make, but as I said, it is up to you. The problem is not what you create; it is how you express it. If you want to get a good mark, I recommend that you just start drawing something that speaks to your heart, keeping in mind what you love, whatever that may be. If you do it like this, you will not only discover something about yourself, you will be able to communicate to others without using words.”

 

The teacher walked back to her desk and started to shuffle through her papers. Chanyeol turned back to his girlfriend and tapped her on her arm.


“Namjoo-yah...you're going to draw me right?

“Ani. Why would I draw you?”

“Because you love me and the project is about something you love. “


“Geurom. Then will your draw me?”

“Ani. I don't think any drawing of mine could do you any justice.”

Namjoo left her seat to get some paints and paintbrushes from the cupboards. Chanyeol came up behind her and leaned over her shoulder.

“Wae? Too cheesy? Too romantic?”

She turned around to go back to her seat but Chanyeol was faster and appeared in front of her.

“Aigoo. Uri Namjoo is blushing. If you want me to stop complementing you then you should stop blushing too. You look pretty when you blush. Like this.”

Chanyeol took the red paint from her hands and dipped his finger into the paint can. He swirled his finger on the page.

“Mwoya? That just looks like a swirly line.”

“You'll see what it is when I finish. Gidaryeo...”

“Ahrasso. Geunde, can you help me today?”

“What are you going to paint?” 

“I wanted to paint my ideal day.”

“What's that?”

“Like, what makes me happy.”

“What makes you happy?”

“You…and the sky. But I can’t just paint you. I have to paint something more creative than a portrait. Besides, I think seonsaengnim is secretly judging us.”

“You don't want to be too obvious in your painting? Haha, she does seem to look at us a lot in class…maybe she’s jealous? That’s why she’s making the theme about love.”

“Eo. What should I do?”

“Paint the sky. And then Oppa will help you do the rest.”

Otteoke?

Chanyeol came up behind her and grabbed her hands. He took the paintbrush and mixed the blue and white paint together. He painted over her palm thickly, and then let go.

 

“The best way to paint something big is to do it with your hands. Do it like this.”

 

He painted over his palm to and then smeared the paint all over the page forming a graduated line. He repeated it again several times and it formed a harder texture. He grabbed Namjoo’s hands and smeared them across the page.

 

“It’s fun?”

 

“Eo.”

 

“Then, you start doing it using different shades. Your sky will look very pretty.”

 

After fifteen minutes, Namjoo had finished. The different shades of blue had blended well with each other. She called Chanyeol over and then pointed at her finished masterpiece.

 

“Oppa! I’m finished!”

 

Chanyeol nodded that it was a pretty sky and then got out the paintbrush and washed it. He dipped it in white paint and then started to blend it into the sky. After twenty minutes he was finished.

 

“Wahhh...Oppa! It’s so beautiful!”

 

Chanyeol had drawn the silhouettes of a boy and girl into the sky with a love heart in between.

 

“Gomawo, Oppa.”

 

“Anything for you…”

 

The bell rang to signal the end of class for the day. Her artwork had already dried, so she rolled it up to take it home. Chanyeol and Namjoo walked hand in hand to the bus stop and waited for the bus. They had decided to go get something to eat before returning home. When they had gotten off of the bus, Namjoo noticed that something was missing.

 

“Oppa…wait…”

 

“Wae?”

 

Namjoo’s eyes widened in horror.

 

“Oppa! I left my artwork on the bus!”

 

“Wait here, okay?”

 

Namjoo just nodded her head as Chanyeol bolted for the bus. She saw that it had already closed its doors and continued to drive down the road. She thought that Chanyeol would give up but he kept pursuing it. The bus turned the corner and Chanyeol followed right behind. Twenty minutes later, Chanyeol came back with her artwork in hand, and clearly out of breath. Namjoo was completely touched and grabbed his arm and sat them down at a bench.

 

“You didn’t have to do that, Oppa.”

“I wanted to. To make you happy…”

 

“I could’ve drawn another one…look you’re so tired.”

 

Namjoo reached up to wipe the sweat that was trickling down the sides of his face.

 

“Gwaenchanha. We spent a lot of effort into it.”

 

Namjoo didn’t care that they were in public. She was very grateful to her boyfriend and wanted to show it to him by giving him a kiss.

 

“I love you, Oppa…”

 

Chanyeol didn’t reply but Namjoo understood him. He didn’t have to tell her that he loved her. His actions already showed her that he did. She told him to stay seated and then bought some snacks for them to eat before Chanyeol escorted her to her house and then went home himself.

Friday rolled around and the students had to submit in their work. Namjoo handed in her work, but Chanyeol was waiting until the last possible minute to hand in his. He wanted to show it first to Namjoo.

 

“Oppa, you’re not giving it in?”

 

“I want you to see it first.”

 

He unrolled the scroll of paper and Namjoo was amazed at what he painted. He drew a flower in different colours.

 

“It’s a flower…why a flower?”

 

“It represents you…that’s why there’s different colours.”

 

“What flower is it?”

 

“It’s heather. The purple represents my admiration for your beauty, the pink one is there because you’re my good luck charm, and the white is there because I want to protect you from danger, which is that random red flower made of squiggly lines…”

 

The teacher came up behind them and cleared .

 

“That’s very nice, Chanyeol-ssi. It seems that you left every bit of your heart on that page. Well done.”

 

Chanyeol handed in his artwork and turned back to Namjoo.

 

“See, you are my good luck charm! As long as I have you in my heart, I don’t need words to express how I feel about you…but in case you want to hear those words…I. Love. You.”