Peony [HANEUN]

The Language of Flowers [REQUESTS CLOSED]

For b2utyexoticshawol + datzme

Peony

“Luhan!”

“Yeah?”

“Are you ready?”

“Five minutes!”

“Isn’t that something that I should be saying?”

“What?”

“Nothing!”

Naeun was waiting for her fiancé to finish getting ready, because if they didn’t leave the apartment in the next five minutes, they would be very late to their friend’s wedding ceremony. Naeun had finished fifteen minutes ago, immaculately dressed in her baby blue flowing dress, high heels, make-up and hair done perfectly, that she could possibly upstage the bride. She was starting to become impatient. Seriously! What guy takes longer to get dressed?

She felt two arms wrap around her waist.

“I’m beginning to question who is actually getting married today. You look beautiful. Don’t upstage the bride or she might get angry.”

Naeun didn’t even think she had time to answer his banter.

“And you’re late.”

Luhan spun her around so that he could see her face.

“Yah! Don’t frown, it ruins your look.”

“Well, if someone had gotten ready faster, then we would already be on our way to the ceremony hall and I wouldn’t be frowning!”

“I’m sorry.”

“Save that for later! We’re getting even more late every minute we stand here with you apologising!”

Luhan muttered something under his breath.

“Geez…if this is what you’re like as a guest to someone else’s wedding, then I wonder how you would be at our wedding…Bridezilla?”

Naeun shot him a death glare and he knew that she had heard him.

“Get in the car!”

“Ahrasso.”

“And don’t forget the gift.”

“Yes, Ma’am”

Luhan drove as fast as he could, within the speed limit, to get to the ceremony hall. They had somehow made it on the dot, and were ushered to their seats. The ceremony had begun on time, and Naeun and Luhan had thoroughly enjoyed watching the proceedings and were fantasising about how their own day would be. The groom had made a teary vow as his bride had to wipe away the tears from his eyes, making everyone laugh at how emotional the groom was being. Naeun jabbed Luhan playfully.

“That’s going to be you…”

“No. That’s going to be you…”

“Says the guy who took twenty minutes longer than me to get dressed even though he started getting ready half an hour before I did…”

“Just wait and see…I’ll make you cry with my vows.”

“Not if I make you cry with mine first.”

“The guy always goes first.”

“Let’s be untraditional. I’ll read mine first.”

They turned their attention back to the ceremony as the officiator announced that they were now officially husband and wife, and the pair shared a tender kiss as the audience clapped and cheered. The guests moved into the reception phase and as the bride and groom made their rounds of greeting the guests, Luhan and Naeun were busy enjoying the food. Luhan started to suggest that they give these out at their own wedding but Naeun chastised him for not being original. When the bride and groom finally made it around to Naeun and Luhan’s table, they took a commemorative photograph and Luhan began chatting to the groom, while Naeun talked with the bride.

“It was a beautiful ceremony.”

“Thank you. I’m excited to go to yours.”

“That’s still a bit far away…”

“It’ll come faster than you think. Look at me now, I’m married.”

“You seem happy, Unnie…say, the design is really gorgeous.”

“Yeah…my sisters were really into making sure that the ambience would turn out well. What do you like the most?”

“Honestly? I just really like the flower arrangement.”

“It’s actually just one flower.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. They’re called peonies. According to the florist, they symbolise a happy marriage. It might look like there are lots of different flowers, but they’re just in different colours.”

“Wow. Mind if I use them at my wedding? They might be good luck then…”

“Sure. Go for it.”

The bride and groom left their table to go and mingle with other guests. The afternoon turned into evening, and soon enough, Luhan and Naeun were already heading home.

“Did you have fun?”

“It was really good.”

“I hope ours will be just as great.”

“It’ll be even better…”

“You seem so sure.”

“Of course. Whatever we do, since it was about us, and because we planned it, it will always look better in my eyes than any others. I’m just biased that way.”

“Then, I’m biased too…”

“Glad to know, you didn’t succumb to the allure of the food in saying that no food was better than theirs…”

“Whatever you pick will taste good to me…”

“Flattery will get you a long way. I forgive you for your extended preparation time this morning.”

“I accept your forgiveness…”

The next year did pass by quickly. It was only two days before their wedding when they received a call, which made Naeun want to change the wedding plans.

“They’re filing for divorce?”

“Ne. Apparently they just couldn’t work the problem out.”

“We need to change the flower arrangements!”

“Why?”

“Because they’re filing for divorce!”

“So?”

“The reason I picked out peonies was because they used them and I thought they would have a happy marriage…”

“That doesn’t mean anything…”

“We need to start our married life off on the right foot.”

“And that requires you to change the flower arrangement?”

“Yes!”

“Flowers don’t dictate how our marriage will turn out. We, dictate how our marriage works out!”

“Still!”

“What do you want to change them to?”

“Let’s just do roses…”

“Do you really want to change them?”

“Do I have a choice?”

“You always have a choice…”

Naeun slumped into the sofa as Luhan ran to sit beside her.

“I want us to work out. I want to be married to you.”

“And you will. In two days, you will be my wife.”

“But the flowers…”

“They don’t matter. We could use fake flowers made out of coloured paper and you could probably find a way to make it look nice. They had problems in their marriage and they weren’t strong enough to work them out. We’re not like that, I promise.”

“Okay.”

“Besides, you’re definitely strong. Who else could put up with me taking longer to get dressed than you, huh?”

“No one.”

“Exactly. So keep the flowers…you said that they symbolise a happy marriage right?”

“Yes.”

“They did have a happy marriage, when things were good and they worked out their conflicts. They were happy. They just couldn’t figure it out this time.”

“So, the flowers worked?”

“Using the logic in my head, they did work. They didn’t symbolise long-lasting marriage, right?”

“Right.”

“Yup. We’re good to go. Keep the peonies.”

“You always know what to say…”

“You’re always welcome. I’ll handle your bridezilla moments anytime.”

“Yah!”

“Ahrasso…”

And they went back to snuggling on the couch.