Freesia [SURONG + HANMI]

The Language of Flowers [REQUESTS CLOSED]

AN: A long update as a way of apologising for the upcoming period of infrequent updates. I know you guys have a lot of requests, and keep putting them in the comments, but I can only promise that I’ll update as soon as I have the time. I hope you guys enjoy this one! Cheers!

For juyayos + PurplePebs

Freesia

Present day…

It was nearing white day, and all around the school girls were receiving gifts, date invitations, roses and even special events. Boyfriends were all going out of their way to express their love for their girlfriends, and even those who were single were using it as an excuse to ask a girl out. The only girls who hadn't received anything yet were Chorong and Bomi, and both of them had boyfriends. To make matters worse, White Day fell on a Sunday that year and Chorong would have to spend it at the florist. She had been hoping that Joonmyun would ask her on a date and give her a chance to back out of work that day, but she talked to him the previous night and he just said that he would buy her lunch and give her, her gift and they could have a 'date' at the flower shop. Chorong was not happy. Meanwhile, Bomi wasn't expecting much from Luhan, since he already said that they should just go out for lunch and that he was trying to start a new trend by avoiding the clichés. So, again, Chorong and Bomi sat together, complaining about their boyfriends as they watched another girl from their class get asked out on a date through a song proposal.

"Bomi-yah...we need to do something about this!"

"What?"

"We need to give our boys some tough love."

"What's the plan?"

"What's Luhan's weakness - in relation to you?"

"He likes it when I say "I love you, Oppa..."

"Jinjja?"

"Eo! What about Joonmyun?"

"He's the same. If he pouts, all I need to do is give him a hug and tell him that I love him."

"Well, don't they know that if they do something sweet for us they'll get an I love you and maybe even a kiss..."

"I think they're a bit clueless..."

"I don't think so...I mean...Luhan's so sweet and Joonmyun is so overly cheesy when it comes to you...it's weird. It's not like them..."

"You're right. Maybe we try and ignore them?"

"Or like...still go out with them but we don't do skinship or say I love you or anything..."

“We need to get them to take us out on a date! I feel like we’re the only girls who don’t have a date right now!

“I know!”

“So, are you in?”

"Joha! Call!"

----////----

1 week earlier...

Luhan found Joonmyun seated at one of the lunch tables alone and staring intently at his laptop screen. He decided to find out what he was doing. Usually, Luhan would find Chorong with him, and they would be all sweet and cuddly, and he would have to walk away, cringing (Although he shouldn’t say this because he was exactly the same with Bomi). He called out to him, which prompted the other boy to look up.

“Hey, Joonmyun!”

“Hey!”

“What are you doing?”

Luhan was now at Joonmyun’s side and looking at the current webpage that was opened.

“Isn’t it obvious?”

“Ahhh…looking up fancy restaurants?”

“Yeah…it’s our first White Day together. I want to make this special.”

“Have you found one yet?”

“A restaurant?”

“Yeah…”

“Nope. Still looking. I want to get something with a really nice view of nature or something.”

“Don’t tell me you’re going to dress up in a suit and wear a flower on your pocket and bring her a corsage?”

Joonmyun looked up at Luhan with a lopsided smile as Luhan made an exaggerated face palm.

“What? Don’t tell me that I’m being too cheesy…”

Luhan was shaking his head and then gave Joonmyun a friendly pat on the back.

“I wasn’t going to. I was just going to say that…you are whipped man!”

“I am not!”

“You are!”

“Says the guy who pretended to be a pizza delivery guy in the middle of the night just so you could be the first person to say happy birthday to Bomi with a chocolate pizza cake in the shape of a heart…”

Joonmyun raised his eyebrows at him and Luhan had no retort up his sleeve.

“I think we’re both whipped, bro…”

“No way! Let’s have a competition!”

“What?”

“Let’s say that I agree to your statement about being whipped. Let’s just see which of us can resist our girlfriends the longest.”

“Okay…but what about the restaurant?

“I’ll make it up to Chorong later.”

“So…White Day?”

“Yep. No romantic gestures. Just treat it like a normal day.”

“Call!”

“Call!”

They shook hands and walked away with a regenerated sense of fighting spirit and a strong desire to win.

----////----

Present day...

Luhan and Joonmyun were completely oblivious to their girlfriends’ agreement, and they suddenly found it weird that they seemed more non-chalant towards them after lunch. Chorong and Bomi were keeping to themselves and sticking together, and they were being less touchy towards their boyfriends. The skinship was the only thing that was keeping both Luhan and Joonmyun strong, and now the lack of skinship made them want to abandon their bet and continue with their romantic plans to woo their girlfriends, get back on their good graces and get as much skinship as possible. They had watched them in the hallways as they eyed other girls who received presents, watched them pout as a guy would serenade a girl for a proposal for a date and scowl when even the single girls were receiving flowers and gifts from other guys. They felt bad, but in their minds, they were sending them mental notes of reassurance that they loved them and would make it up to them.

Everything was fine until they had gym class. The students were playing volleyball and somehow, both Chorong and Bomi had ended up on an opposite team. It was to be played in teams of four, with two girls and two boys in each team. As luck would have it, Joonmyun and Luhan’s team were to be playing off against Bomi and Chorong’s in the first round. Joonmyun made the first hit and watched as Chorong and another guy called Taehwan go for it at the same time, inevitably causing them to miss the ball as they collided with each other and in true drama-style, Taehwan caught Chorong in his arms before she fell to the floor. He heard Luhan chuckle beside him as he almost pounced on the other guy to get his hands off of his girlfriend. Yah! This is volleyball! Chorong is strong! She doesn’t need you to save her…hmph!

After a few more rounds, it was Luhan’s turn to get jealous, and it was his fault. Luhan was able to lobby the ball so that it just hit above the net. Bomi was at the front and was obliged to hit this one, but she was too short and couldn’t reach it. She called out for help and Taehwan picked her up by the waist so that she could hit it over. Needless to say, Luhan was in a prime position to hit this ball, but his mind went into a mental breakdown and all he wanted to do was chop off all of Taehwan’s arms. He felt Joonmyun give him a side nudge as the teacher announced that they would have a ten minute break.

Joonmyun and Luhan stormed up to their girlfriends who were talking animatedly with the guys on their team. They grabbed them by the hand and dragged them to a separate corner each as some of their classmates snickered at their over protectiveness.

“Oppa! Wae?”

“Wae? Why are you talking with those guys?”

“We’re on the same team. We were talking strategy.”

“Not buying that at all…1, you guys are winning anyway, and 2, you don’t laugh like that if you’re talking about game tactics.”

“Are you jealous?”

“No!”

“So you, grabbing me by the hand and asking me why I was talking to our classmates, who just happen to be guys, is not jealousy?”

“Yes!”

“Geurae! I’ll remember that.”

And Joonmyun watched dumbfounded as she walked back to her side of the court. Meanwhile, it was not going so well with Luhan either.

“Yah! Yoon Bomi! Don’t let other guys get within 10 metres of you, okay?”

“Ahrasso.”

And Bomi walked back to where Chorong was standing.

“Yah! Oediga?”

“You said not be within a 10 metre distance from any boys. You didn’t say that it didn’t include you. I’m just following your orders!”

Luhan stood there until he was dragged back into the game by Joonmyun who had the same exasperated look on his face. They lost the game 20 to nil, and Luhan and Joonmyun made a silent agreement that they needed to do something about their current predicament. They decided to take them out on a double date to a restaurant and the video arcade, where they could be romantic and not romantic at the same time, and make the girls happy.

They bell rang and Chorong and Bomi went ahead as Luhan and Joonmyun trailed behind them. They both put their arms around their shoulders and then walked in front of them to block their way.

“Yes?”

“Do you want to go on a date?”

“Who are you asking?”

“Both of you.”

“Like a double date?”

“Yep. A double date.”

“Okay.”

“We’ll pick you both up at 6 and we’ll meet at the restaurant.”

Bomi and Chorong walked away from them with the biggest grins on their faces. They definitely had their men at their mercy. Those two… could never resist us…jealousy was definitely the push they needed…

----////----

On the date…

Joonmyun arrived to pick up Chorong very early. He had a talk with her father while he patiently waited for her to come down. When he finally saw her, he couldn’t help but break out into a smile as he immediately got up from his seat to grab her hand.  At this point, all plans of not acting whipped were discarded. He was in love with this girl and he definitely wanted to show it to her. But still, he had some pride. He was just going to do it in secret.

Meanwhile, Luhan was also waiting for Bomi to finish getting ready. He was drumming his fingers against the cool leather of the couch that he was seated on, and he was nervous. He knew that when she took this long to get ready, he would be a goner. And, he was right. She came down wearing a simple dress paired with converse, and he was amazed. The deal was definitely shoved to the back of his mind as he gave her a kiss on the cheek and dragged her out the door for their date.

Both couples arrived at the same time. They were at an Italian restaurant. Joonmyun and Chorong came in slightly first, and Luhan spotted them holding hands as Joonmyun pulled away when he saw Luhan. He smirked. Luhan thought that he was going to win this game. If he confronted Joonmyun about it, he couldn’t lie. They sat down in one of the booths, as the boys told the girls to order whatever they wanted. The girls quickly gave in the orders and chatter began to start. Joonmyun was fooling around and dropped his fork, so he ducked under to pick it up. When he did, his eyes caught Luhan and Bomi holding hands underneath the table. Joonmyun grinned and thought that he won, and so, when he was resurfacing, he accidentally hit his head against the table. This little game of theirs continued well into the night. Joonmyun was all too cheesy when feeding Chorong her all cheese Margherita pizza, and Luhan and Bomi almost re-enacted the scene from Lady and the Tramp by having their spaghetti connected. After a while, they knew that they had both broken the rules, and they didn’t care anymore. They figured that they were both whipped, and that there was no point in denying any further. However, they both felt like they needed to win at something that night, and they couldn’t let their man pride down. And so, after dinner, the two couples went to the games arcade.

It started off as being romantic: they tried a couple game of basketball, the highest points combined would win and Luhan and Bomi had won that round. They did this again and Joonmyun and Chorong won the next round. Eventually, it turned into a game for Joonmyun and Luhan, and their interest in the game made them completely oblivious to Chorong and Bomi leaving and sitting down on one of the seats.

“Chorong-ah…”

“I know. They were back to normal…and then their competitive streak came out…”

“You know…I’m starting to get really annoyed! They should be paying attention to us…not the stupid game!”

“Oh, look! They moved on from basketball and they’re now racing each other…”

“Do you want to go for a walk or something?”

“Yeah…I don’t think they noticed that we were gone…”

“Geez…if they wanted to go on a date together…they didn’t need to bring us along…”

“They’re sacrificing our romance for their bromance! Bomi-yah…gaja!”

The two girls left, and Joonmyun and Luhan continued to battle it out on every other game at the arcade. They played some ‘Dance Dance Revolution’, some horse racing, some shooting game, but they still ended up with a tie in their score. They decided to end it by playing the arm wrestling game, where you had to try and beat the machine. Funnily enough, both of them had lost to the machine, and their egos were bruised. They called a truce, and gave each other a fist bump and turned around to look for their girlfriends, but they were nowhere to be found.

“Hey, weren’t they following us?”

“Hmm…actually…I don’t know…”

“I was too involved with the game…”

“Dammit! We were meant to be getting back in their good graces but we probably made things worse…”

“Yeah…let’s just agree that both of us are equal when it comes to love and games…”

“That’s true…”

Then, they heard a voice behind them.

“Just don’t play games with a girl’s heart…”

They turned around and found one of their sunbaes at school. He was with his girlfriend on a date. It seemed as if they played the games where you could get tokens and he managed to get her a giant stuffed teddy bear.

“Hyung!”

“Hey!”

“What are you two doing here?”

“Uhh…well…we were with our girlfriends…”

“Where are they?”

“We don’t know…”

“You both got competitive and forgot you were on a date?”

“Yep.”

“Well…don’t worry…that’s happened to us before…”

The girl spoke up.

“They probably went for a walk. That’s the only thing you can do around here when you don’t play games.”

“Thanks for the heads up!”

“Find them and make it up to them, ahrasso?”

“Ne, Hyung! See you later!”

They bowed to them and then Luhan and Joonmyun went outside. It didn’t take them long to find them. They were sitting down and eating icecream. When Luhan and Joonmyun went up to them, they crossed their arms and pouted and both boys got on their knees and started doing some aegyo.

“Chorong-ah…forgive me?”

“Bbomiiii-yahhhhh…mianhae…”

It wasn’t long before their anger subsided. If the boys were whipped over their girlfriends, Chorong and Bomi were as equally as in love with their boyfriends and even offered them some icecream to let them know that they weren’t mad anymore. As the night deepened, the two couples separated to have some alone time together, and as they were walking them home and reached the front door, Luhan and Joonmyun took a flower from inside their coat. It wasn’t in its best condition, but they gave it anyway, and the boys earned a kiss.

Bomi and Chorong asked them the same question when they received the flowers.

“Freesias?”

“Yes.”

“You know what these mean, right?”

“Yes.”

“Why not roses? Why a flower that means friendship? Are you breaking up with me?”

The two boys both had the same silly look on their faces and replied.

“No. I’m never breaking up with you. It’s just that…besides being your boyfriend, I want you to know that I’m also your best friend. Even if we weren’t in a relationship, I’m glad that we’re friends. I need you in my life, and friendship is a good basis for that. Friendship is a good foundation for love.”

“Ahrasso.”

“Goodnight.”

“Goodnight.”

----////----

The next day…

Bomi and Chorong were discussing about how their date ended and were both surprised to find out that theirs ended in almost the exact same way.

“Wait! He gave you flowers and then he said that, “even if we weren’t in a relationship, I’m glad that we’re friends. I need you in my life, and friendship is a good basis for that. Friendship is a good foundation for love?”

“Yes! He said that to you too?”

“Yup!”

“They probably bought the flower together then…they’re so alike…”

“Seriously…this just proves one thing…”

And in unison, they said:

“They’re definitely friends!”