Frangipani [SEKYUNG]

The Language of Flowers [REQUESTS CLOSED]

For eternalspring

Frangipani 

Sehun and Yookyung were enjoying their date on the streets of Hongdae when it started drizzling. They decided to take shelter at one of the cafés, and then order some coffee to warm them up. The two sat at the table closest to the window and watched as the rain trickled down from the awning, onto the pavement and into the gutters.

“Hmmm…”

Yookyung closed her eyes and inhaled the warm atmosphere of the coffee shop.

“Wae? Are you sad because our date is ruined?”

“Actually, it’s the opposite. I think this one of the best dates yet.”

“Wae? We’re stuck inside a coffee shop.”

“Exactly my point. It’s not like we haven’t been to coffee shops before, but…there’s just something about the rain…”

“What about the rain?”

“It’ just so peaceful…watching the rain…”

“Whatever makes you happy…”

Just then, their orders arrived. The waitress placed it in front of them, gave a complimentary slice of carrot cake, bowed and then wished them a good meal. Sehun and Yookyung took turns sipping from their respective mugs and spoon feeding each other bits of the cake. They didn’t talk, but the chatter inside the shop faded to whispers, while the drops of rain hit the pavement in a rhythm that was soothing and calming, and intermingled with the faint sounds of music playing in the background. It was a perfect ambience.

They watched as another couple walked into the store and sat at one of the booths. Both of them were fairly wet, and the girl was holding a bunch of flowers that were not ruined.

“The flowers seem like a waste now…”

“It’s the thought that counts…”

“Hmmm…they could probably just buy another bouquet.”

“It might seem like they’re easily replaceable…but…I think the flowers were meant to mean something. Look, I think they’re on their first date…”

“They look like us…I mean…he got it down…pulling her chair out…wearing a button down with a tie, and casual jeans…even the dozen roses…”

“Awww…they’re cute…”

“We’re cute…”

“Ahrasso…Sehun-ah…want to do that thing we did on our first date?”

“What thing?”

“The one where we ask questions that involve really hard choices…”

“Ahhh…like, if there was only one life jacket on the boat who would you give it to?”

“Eo! That one!”

“Okay. I’ll go first.  Ummm…if you had to choose…who would you save first? Me or your dad?”

“Appa!”

“That was way too fast! Wae?”

“Because you can swim!”

“Not a valid reason!”

“It’s too hard…”

“You have to answer…”

“I would choose you.”

“Wae?”

“My dad’s lived a long and happy life. Even if I did try to save him first, he’d make me save you, because he’d want us to live a long and happy life like he did. That’s my dad. He’d do anything for me.”

“Okay. It’s your turn.”

“What would you do if we were stuck on a deserted island?”

“That’s not really a question that involves choices.”

“I know…I just suddenly got curious.”

“Well…obviously…I would try and build us some shelter, make a fire…catch some food…smoke signals…SOS message on the beach…you know?”

“What if we were never going to get rescued and we had to start living there for the rest of our lives?”

“Then…we would make the best of it…we’d probably get really frustrated at first, but then, we’d be aliright…after a while…”

“Okay…don’t worry…let’s just move on…”

“No! Let’s finish this. I’m kinda curious now…wait I’ll just google it.”

Sehun took out his phone and googled ‘how to survive on a deserted island.’ Both of them browsed the  first ten links but found nothing of use because all of them basically said what had been already suggested by Sehun. They decided to click on images, and they saw pictures of really beautiful islands.

“Wahhh…if that’s where we’re going to live…I think I’ll be fine…”

“Oh! Look at that!”

“What is it?”

“That flower…it’s really pretty! Click on it!”

Sehun did as he was told and it took them to a page about flowers.

“It’s called…Frangipani…”

“It’s beautiful…it must smell nice too…”

“Eo! Frangipani stands for…shelter…and…protection.”

“That’s probably why it appeared in the search then…”

“Ahrasso! I got my answer!”

“What?”

“If we were stuck on a deserted island, I would give you a million Frangipanis!”

“Mwo?”

“I would learn to make them into clothes so that you would always wear them and be protected…and then I’d use it to make the roof so that we have shelter…”

“Eyyy…That’s not right!”

“It’s fine…I was joking…but in all seriousness…if we were stuck on a deserted island, I would do everything I can to protect you…”

“By giving me shelter?”

“Yep! I think I proved it today!”

“How?”

“Well, I navigated us into this warm coffee shop, and braved the rain so that I could give you shelter…and protection…”

“Okay…”

“Look at that! It’s not raining anymore…”

“Guess we don’t need shelter anymore?”

“Yup!”

Sehun got up first and offered his hand to Yookyung.

“Maladay…at your service…”

She took his hand and they walked out into the streets.

“Yookyung-ah…”

“Yeah?”

“Want to go buy some flowers?”