Oleander [SERONG]

The Language of Flowers [REQUESTS CLOSED]

For choya91

Oleander

Chorong was on the train, as usual, heading into work. This day was not out of the ordinary until she got to the last stop before her actual stop and a man wearing a white suit, sunglasses and a hat, handed her a white oleander before getting off of the train. What was even stranger about this encounter is that he whispered to her when he handed her the flower. Up until now, she had been pondering over his words. Caution is warranted. You’re in danger. You need to protect your heart.

She didn’t know what that had meant. She was sure that no one was out to try and kill her, especially not by possibly stabbing her in that vital organ, and if it was regarding her love life, then she had long resolved to focus on her career before even thinking about getting into relationship. She was too caught up in her thoughts that she didn’t hear her boss calling out to her.

“Chorong-ssi!”

“Chorong-ssi!”

Someone tapped her on the shoulder and she responded.

“Chorong-ssi!”

“Ne?”

“Come inside my office for a few moments.”

Chorong did as she was told and then closed the door behind her.

“Yes, Sir?”

“We have a new employee today. When he arrives, he will be told to report to you. Please make sure that he learns the ways of the office and show him around.”

“Ne.”

Chorong went back to her workstation and started to do her work. An hour later someone cleared his throat.

“I’m here to report to Park Chorong-ssi.”

“You must be the new employee, am I right?”

“Ne. Nice to meet you.”

“You too.”

Chorong outstretched her hand for him to shake. However, when they touched, she felt like her hand had just touched something electric. When she had finally looked into his eyes, she felt like she needed to sit down. When she heard him speak, her heart began to beat wildly. The image of the oleander popped into her head.

“If you follow me, I’ll show you around.”

“Ne.”

She showed him where the toilets were, where the staff common room was, where his desk was, where the director’s office was and then introduced him to a few of the other staff members. When she had led him around, he followed closely behind her and she could smell his cologne. It was fresh and masculine, yet sweet at the same time. It made you feel like you were protected in a safe bubble. She tried to shake these thoughts from her head, but when she did, all she could remember was the flower that was sitting on her desk.

“I never asked your name.”

“Oh Sehun.”

“I hope we can work well together.”

“Ne. I will try my best and promise to listen to you well.”

They bowed to each other and Sehun went over to his desk. It was to the left of Chorong, but directly within her view. She thought he was very cute, and well-mannered. She saw the flower again and decided to throw it out on her way to lunch. However, when she returned it was sitting on her desk again. She picked it up and looked at it as Sehun came up to her.

“It’s a pretty flower.”

“It is but…”

“Ne?”

“I threw it out on my way to lunch.”

“Ah…I put it back on your desk. I thought you may have thrown it out by accident. It was a pretty flower too…”

“No. I threw it out on purpose.”

“I’m sorry. If you want, I could throw it away again. I’m really sorry for interfering.”

“It’s alright. I don’t know any guys who actually appreciate the beauty of a flower. It’s fine. I think I’ll keep it. Thank you.”

“No problem. If you don’t mind me asking, who gave it to you? Or is it from your garden?”

“Ani. I was on the train this morning and this random man gave it to me.”

“Ah. He must have thought that you were pretty and so he gave it to you.”

Chorong smiled at him, and he bowed and then went back to work.

Did he just say that I was pretty? Aish! Chorong-ah…you can’t be like this. You’re going to be in trouble.

When it was time to leave the office, Chorong and Sehun were the only ones remaining as everyone else had gone home early. When Chorong was leaving, Sehun also packed up his things and followed her out.

“Are you following me?”

“Ne?”

“You didn’t leave when everyone else did, but you got up when I was going to leave.”

“Ah…it’s late and technically you’re my boss. I need to make sure that you’re safe on your way home.”

“Are you going to me home?”

“If you’re alright with that, then yes.”

“You’re acting like a boyfriend.”

“I’m being a gentleman.”

They both laughed, and the atmosphere was good. It seemed like even if they had meant, and in the circumstance of their relationship, they weren’t awkward at all.

“Do you have a boyfriend?”

Maybe the lights on the street were playing with her, but Chorong thought she saw his eyes flicker. And it seemed like he was flirting with her.

“No. Do you have a girlfriend?”

“Eobseoyo.”

“Okay. We’re at the front of the building, you can go home now.”

“Where are you going?”

“I’m getting on the train.”

“I’ll go with you.”

“It’s fine. You’re probably going another way.”

“No. I’m okay. Besides, we don’t want random strangers giving you flowers on the train. It might be dangerous.”

“Geurae. If you must insist.”

“I insist.”

They walked to the train station, with good conversation flowing between them. However, Chorong was feeling strange. This feeling was welling inside her heart and making her nervous. She hadn’t felt this way since her first crush at the beginning of high school. Of course, it remained a crush, but being around that person had driven her mind crazy, just as it was going now. They boarded the train. It was late at night and it was only the two of them. They sat in a comfortable silence. They got off at Chorong’s stop, and Sehun kept his promise to walk her all the way to her house.

“Goodnight.”

“Ne.Goodnight.”

“Thank you for walking me home.”

“You’re welcome. It was nice to walk you home.”

“I’ll see you at the office tomorrow.”

“Ne.”

Sehun waved her goodbye and turned to walk in the other direction.

“Chorong-ssi…”

“Ne?”

“Be careful of people trying to steal your heart with flowers okay?”

“Ahrasso. Go home safely.”

Sehun flashed her a smile and walked off as Chorong closed the door to her apartment and melted into a puddle on the floor. She put a hand to her heart. Thump! Maybe I could open the window just a little bit…