Dandelion [BAEKJIYEOL]

The Language of Flowers [REQUESTS CLOSED]

For BaekYeolJi

Dandelion [Baekjiyeol]

Chanyeol couldn’t remember a time when he and Eunji weren’t best friends. Some people thought he was weird for having a girl as a friend, but she simply was better than all the guy friends that he had. Their parents were best friends and Chanyeol and Eunji would always be at the same gatherings and parties together. They were inseparable, and people saw that it was a platonic relationship because they practically had grown up as brother and sister. Eunji’s younger brother also thought of him as a very close hyung and they too, treated each other as siblings.

However, Chanyeol was in love with Eunji. He was in love with his best friend. He could even remember the exact moment he knew he was in love with her. No, it wasn’t always this way. He always thought of her as a boy in a girl’s body, the way she kicked him around, played sports well, always wore shorts and pants instead of dresses and was very good at fighting.

There were three moments that had led to his final revelation. The first occurred when they were five years old. As an immature kid who was used to watching his parents kiss, Chanyeol made a bet with Eunji that she couldn’t kiss him. Of course, their young minds couldn’t comprehend exactly what they were doing and Eunji leaned in to him and gave him a quick peck on the lips. Chanyeol’s face had lit up and he called over their parents to tell them what they had done. Their parents had just laughed and gave them both a loving pat on their heads and told them to run off and play.

The next happened when they were ten years old. Eunji had started to play with doll and asked Chanyeol to play ‘house’ with her. They were parents to Eunji’s toy doll and Eunji suggested they have a fake wedding to make it official. He didn’t know why, but he thought it was a good idea at the time and readily agreed to become her groom. They said their fake vows about always playing with each other and sharing cookies and that was the end of that.

The third happened when Chanyeol’s dog had died. Eunji was by his side the whole time, being his shoulder to cry on and even helping with the funeral arrangements. Even after they said goodbye, Eunji sat with him and told him that his dog had gone to heaven and helped him feel better.

But, it really hit him when it was his sixteen birthday. He was waiting for her to arrive at the party because he was starting to feel anxious without her. He never felt whole unless she was by his side. She came in a half hour late, with no apology, but wearing a pretty floral dress and her hair wavy and curls falling beautifully. She gave him a hug and a peck on the cheek that made his breath hitch in his throat. His eyes went wide and Eunji hit him on his backside and told him to get a hold of himself.

Two years later and they were still the best of friends. But she still remained oblivious to his feelings. After that day he became more attentive to her and even hesitated when they started play fighting, afraid that he might hurt her. So, today he had worked up the courage and was going to confess to her. They were talking in the school hallways as usual and he wasn’t even listening to her. He was just nodding along and trying to come up with a cool way of confessing in his head. Do it now! This is your chance! Come on!

They heard a loud thump and found that a boy had tripped. Eunji ran up to him. Fool! You missed your chance! Again!

“Oppa! Help! I think he’s hurt!”

Chanyeol ran over and checked the damage. He had never seen this boy before and yet Eunji was caring towards him. Another reason why I love her…she looks after others. They got him into a standing position and carried him to the nurse’s station where he was treated. They were dismissed to go to class. After the lesson had started they heard a knock at the door. Oh…it’s the guy that fell…

“Class! We have a new student. Please introduce yourself.”

“Annyeonghaseyo. My name is Byun Baekhyun. Please take care of me well.”

He bowed and went to his seat beside Eunji.

“Oh yes. The class president is Eunji. I trust you’ll take care of him.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

Class proceeded normally and when it ended, Chanyeol expected Eunji to follow him to where they usually had lunch. However, she tapped Chanyeol on the shoulder and told me that she would show the new kid around and asked if I wanted to come. Chanyeol felt a slight pang of jealousy and told her to go ahead. He secretly watched them from afar and saw that Eunji and Baekhyun were getting along quite well. His jealousy increased, and his fist absentmindedly curled into a ball.

From that day on, Eunji and Baekhyun became very good friends. Eunji now divided her time between Baekhyun and Chanyeol. Chanyeol’s one on one time with Eunji now had a third wheel in the form of Baekhyun. He found out that they had gotten along because they both liked to sing. They often went to the karaoke and sung, while Chanyeol sat in the corner and sulked. On one of the rare occasions that Baekhyun wasn’t there, Chanyeol took Eunji out to the park, where they usually hung out. But now, he felt a slight awkwardness and became silent, which didn’t go unnoticed.

“Yah! Why are you so quiet?”

“Nothing…”

“Eyyy…there’s something going on in that big head of yours. What is it? You can tell me!”

He mumbled to himself that he couldn’t tell her because Baekhyun was around and she heard it.

“Yah! Are you jealous?”

“No!”

She poked his chest. Thump!

“You are!”

“Whatever…”

“Don’t worry, you’ll always be my best friend!”

Chanyeol felt like the word friend was slightly emphasised and scoffed. Great, I’ve been friendzoned…

“You can tell me anything! Nothing’s changed!”

But something has changed. My feelings for you have changed! Can’t you see that?

“I need to tell you something…”

“What?”

“I think I like someone…”

“Who?”

“Not telling yet…you know him”

Chanyeol felt a flicker of hope and smiled.

“When you want to tell me…tell me!”

“Ahrasso…”

They continued to have fun, just like old times, and Chanyeol had finally felt like everything was right in the world. Tomorrow, I’ll tell her how I feel…

The next day, Chanyeol was walking to her house to check if she wanted to hang out again, when something stopped him dead in his tracks. Eunji and Baekhyun were walking out, hand in hand and laughing. His heart dropped to the pit of his stomach and his face scrunched up and eyes closed to try and erase the image. When he opened them again, he saw they continue to walk down the street, still laughing. You missed your chance…

They didn’t see him. They never do…when they’re together. Best friend? If that’s what I am to you…so be it.Baekyun-ah…you better take care of her. I’m watching you…

The sun was shining, but his mood felt like there was a storm brewing and there was heavy rain. He looked to the ground and spotted a dandelion poking out from the sidewalk. He picked it up and blew it, watching it float away. He whispered to the soft breeze.

“I love you Eunji-yah…but…I wish you both happiness…”